We Came, We Saw, We NAILED It! 2 BFFs Take On The World **9/1 One Man's Dream**

Thank you! That's so nice of you!

Disneyland is where I fell in love with Tower of Terror! My friend and I rode it about 10 times in a row one day, have to love the low mid-week crowds there!

I think I've done that too. Once, I was there in the morning with my husband and then pre-teen niece. It was so empty that the CM had us, after we rode, wait on the side of the elevator entrance, and let us ride again with the next group (At DL the entrance and exit are at the same place, there's a narrow corridor between the waiting area and the actual elevator).

Loving your review. Am noticing a lot of cool details I have missed before so good ideas of things to do.
We're actually trying out the YC as part of a split stay this time (yah!) and was going back and forth about a breakfast at Capt. Grill. Looks good, I'm doing it! Was wondering if one could order off the menu and one the buffet, because I know my son will want the chocolate chip pancakes off the menu but a couple of us would want buffet.
Looking forward to more...

I think I've done that too. Once, I was there in the morning with my husband and then pre-teen niece. It was so empty that the CM had us, after we rode, wait on the side of the elevator entrance, and let us ride again with the next group (At DL the entrance and exit are at the same place, there's a narrow corridor between the waiting area and the actual elevator).

That brings back memories of going to DL for me. I will need to go back sooner rather than later!

Loving your review. Am noticing a lot of cool details I have missed before so good ideas of things to do.
We're actually trying out the YC as part of a split stay this time (yah!) and was going back and forth about a breakfast at Capt. Grill. Looks good, I'm doing it! Was wondering if one could order off the menu and one the buffet, because I know my son will want the chocolate chip pancakes off the menu but a couple of us would want buffet.
Looking forward to more...

It shouldn't be a problem! Megan ordered off the buffet and I ordered off the menu!

I’m late but I’m all caught up! I'm really loving your report - especially all the dining reviews…and most of all the drink reviews! I plan to "drink around the world" on my next trip too.

I agree with you on the theming in Asia at AK. That is probably one of my favorite spots in all of WDW too.

That jalapeno cream cheese pretzel looks AMAZING!

So what was Megan’s impression of WDW? Was it as she imagined? I love experiencing it through the eyes of someone who has never been there before!

Patiently awaiting the next update!

I’m late but I’m all caught up! I'm really loving your report - especially all the dining reviews…and most of all the drink reviews! I plan to "drink around the world" on my next trip too.

I agree with you on the theming in Asia at AK. That is probably one of my favorite spots in all of WDW too.

That jalapeno cream cheese pretzel looks AMAZING!

So what was Megan’s impression of WDW? Was it as she imagined? I love experiencing it through the eyes of someone who has never been there before!

Patiently awaiting the next update!

I think Megan was really skeptical right until we got down there. By the time we got back to the hotel on our very first night, she said that everything was absolutely amazing and she was so glad she came. By Day 2, she kept saying "next time we come down, we should do this..." it was great! We are hoping to plan another trip in the next year or two!

So this will be my last update before the big move! I can't believe it is here already!

Before we get into this update, I am happy to report that our Tower of Terror of Photopass picture did in fact make it home with us, it was just hiding in between all of my Great Movie ride photos...

wd063wdw201405748757063_zps7625c062.jpeg

Speaking of The Great Movie Ride...that is where we were off to next.

DSC01008_zpsbaadc2a2.jpg

I always love this ride, because there is just so much to see when we're there!

DSC01012_zps4705e02c.jpg

DSC01014_zpsdf78a617.jpg

In my PTR, I mentioned that I have never gotten the Cowboy Scene and I was really hoping we would be able to check it out on this trip.

DSC01030_zps8b26ea20.jpg

As luck would have it...

DSC01032_zps2818038f.jpg

DSC01037_zps88973ec7.jpg

Cowboys!

And a little from one of my favorite movies!

DSC01063_zps44405dcc.jpg

Next it was off to Munchkin Land!

DSC01071_zpsfd41fa38.jpg

DSC01073_zpsfcbf5f8d.jpg

DSC01074_zps6a5785fb.jpg

DSC01089_zps4d7bc94e.jpg

DSC01090_zps3b9f7b75.jpg

Afterwards we couldn't help but check out the hand prints out front...

DSC01095_zps6287adbd.jpg

DSC01096_zps3ee7ff9e.jpg

And then I found my idol...

DSC01098_zps468450ff.jpg

And my hands fit perfectly...

DSC01103_zps1e09bebb.jpg

DSC01104_zps24470af6.jpg

We made our way back to the big hat...

DSC01102_zps1e040ad2.jpg

Where were we off to next??

WOW! Breakfast looked amazing! Enjoying your report and meal reviews.

After The Great Movie Ride, it was time to head over for our Fastpass reservation for the Rock N' Roller Coaster.

wd064wdw201405748762805_zps23fcc34a.jpeg

After the Roller Coaster, we decided we would go and check out the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, in honor of where we were staying. Since there is no flash photography, its almost impossible to take decent pictures in there, but I did my best.

DSC01115_zps6ab9726f.jpg

DSC01116_zpseaf6805c.jpg

DSC01121_zps0aae20a8.jpg

DSC01122_zpsa9715fbc.jpg

DSC01126_zps59fb19f1.jpg

DSC01130_zpsef6e5c3d.jpg

We noticed that the wait time for Star Tours was only 10 minutes, and since we had plenty of time before lunch, we decided to check it out. This was the first time I had ridden since the refurbishment.

DSC01136_zps5146bc9b.jpg

DSC01138_zps40454f2c.jpg

DSC01140_zpsfa5dfe29.jpg

DSC01145_zps85f50b4f.jpg

DSC01147_zps89d67e03.jpg

I have to say, the refurb was AWESOME. I used to get quite nauseous on the old ride, but had no issues on the new one.

Next up, it was off to the Streets of America, where we checked out Muppet Vision. I do like Muppet Vision, but really once per trip is enough for me!

DSC01149_zps4b9e28b2.jpg

DSC01150_zps6a7f1a7c.jpg

DSC01154_zps308eebb7.jpg

After Muppet Vision, it was time to have lunch at...

DSC01159_zpsd8e9496e.jpg

Love the R&RC pic. Are you sure that you and the couple in front of you were on the same ride???

Loving all your pics!! Did u get a lot of photopass photos? What camera did u use? I'm enjoying your TR and dining reviews tremendously! Btw did u guess get your server to take photos during character meals? I often see parents taking photos of their kids but it's only going to be two of us next trip too, and we both want to be on the photo together!

Loving all your pics!! Did u get a lot of photopass photos? What camera did u use? I'm enjoying your TR and dining reviews tremendously! Btw did u guess get your server to take photos during character meals? I often see parents taking photos of their kids but it's only going to be two of us next trip too, and we both want to be on the photo together!

I wish we would have gotten more Photopass pics. We stopped everytime we saw a PP photographer but at the end, it didn't add up to that many photos. I'm not sure we would order it again. If they started including PP photographers at the character meals, we might reconsider.

For this trip, I used a Sony Cybershot. I got it really cheap at Best Buy and it works great for me, it's just a little point and shoot, but it did alright. Before my next trip, I think I'm going to invest in something nicer so that I can capture more action shots and shots in low lighting.

For pictures at character meals, at Crystal Palace, if I remember correctly, the characters all had "handlers" that took pictures for us. At Tusker House a table next to us offered to take pictures for us and at CRT we just traded off taking pictures. So, in short, its hit or miss.

After Muppet Vision, we headed off to Mama Melrose for lunch.

Here's the dining review...

Next up, we had lunch at Mama Melrose. This definitely seems to be one of those restaurants that people either love or hate, with very few in the middle. I've always landed in the middle. Its certainly not my favorite restaurant on property, but I enjoy it enough to keep coming back. We had booked the Fantasmic! package here.

Our server was Joann, and unfortunately she lacked any sense of warmth and was very cold and icy. While it is a relatively small gripe, when she came to take our order, she set another table's dirty plates down on our table.

Thankfully, our food here was wonderful and the ambiance does make me feel like I'm sitting in a restaurant on Mulberry Street in New York.

We started our meal off with rolls with a choice of butter or olive oil and spices.

DSC01163_zps079f4a2f.jpg

I wish they would start serving slices of Italian bread instead of these rolls. The outsides are crusty and the insides light and fluffy. For me the outsides are just too crusty, and I end up just pulling out the center of the roll.

We also both ordered the Bellini

DSC01162_zps1c325ffa.jpg

These are always the perfect mix of the sweet peach with the dry Prosecco and on this particular day, it was really refreshing.

For appetizers, Megan started with this...

DSC01164_zpsa9d28524.jpg

Vegetarian Minestrone - with ditalini pasta $ 5.99

This was delicious and LOADED with different varieties of beans, so it is a great source of protein.

I went with...

DSC01165_zpsef640a1f.jpg

Crispy Calamari - topped with grilled peppers and onions, served with dipping sauces $10.99

The calamari was thinly sliced and very tender. The batter was crispy, not greasy. I really enjoyed the dipping sauces. One was a basil pesto-y type sauce and the other was a citrus butter. Both paired nicely with the calamari. I didn't care for the spicy marinara.

For entrees, Megan had wanted a simple Alfredo, which they didn't have on the menu. But they did have the option for Penne pasta with a four cheese sauce. On the menu it came with a choice of meatballs or chicken. Megan asked if there was any way she could substitute in shrimp in place of the meat options, since she didn't eat land animals. Joann snapped back a "no." pretty harshly. Given that at the time there were several other dishes on the menu that had shrimp in them, including a flatbread, I didn't think her question was unreasonable. She decided to just go with the noodles and sauce. But then...out came this.

DSC01166_zpsd3eca462.jpg

It must have been good, because she ate the whole darn thing!

I ordered my tried and true favorite,

DSC01167_zps276dddfa.jpg

Wild Mushroom Flatbread - roasted cremini and button mushrooms with a garlic-shallot spread and finished with balsamic reduction $12.99

This was so wonderful! It was any mushroom lovers dream! The mushrooms were perfectly brown and tender, but not mushy. The garlic spread was mild, and not overwhelming. I do wish there was a bit more of the balsamic though.
I too polished my plate.

Then out came dessert. I was quite perplexed as we did not order our dessert yet. Joann told us that if you had the Fantasmic! package, you just got a pre-plated dessert and that was it. I explained that while that was true for the standard dining plan, it wasn't for the Deluxe plan (at least not in the several times I have been there, all with the deluxe plan.)

I was incredibly disappointed because I had my heart set on the pistachio gelato. She gave us the "take it or leave it" approach. So we decided to leave it, which was a shame. Unfortunately we didn't care for any of these desserts and if she had explained that to us earlier we just would have gone without dessert altogether. I hate wasting food, so this was quite disappointing. The presentation was beautiful though...

DSC01168_zps374e90f8.jpg

On our way out, the whole dessert thing was really nagging me. I decided to stop at the podium and asked if they had changed the policy with desserts on the Deluxe Dining Plan and the Fantasmic package. The gentleman there, who just happened to be the manager on duty filling in, explained that they had not.

He offered to comp our entire meal, which I felt was a bit of overkill. I didn't even get into the bad attitude and dirty plates incident with him. I simply explained that we had already compensated for our experience in the tip we left for her and I just wanted to know the process for future reservations. Since we wouldn't have been able to use the extra dining credit I told him it was fine, really. In the end we compromised and he comp'd our drinks, which I felt was still overly generous, but we were very appreciative of the service he provided us.

In the end, Fantasmic was rained out that evening, so the whole thing was all for nothing.

After our lunch, we didn't have any Fastpass+ booked, and wait times for just about everything were exceedingly long. In addition, rain was threatening to ruin our day.

So we decided we would duck into an often missed attraction to check it out. I was a little hesitant at first, but I am SO glad that we decided to do this, because it was exceptionally neat.

I took pictures of the little placards of everything on my camera so that I could remember later what everything was.

I like to think I have detailed the experience fairly well, so if you haven't yet gone, you may want to skip this post as it might have some spoilers for you. For those of you that have gone, I hope I've managed to do this justice!

Without further delay, I present to you, Walt Disney: One Man's Dream.

First up, we have a good indicator that young Walt was slightly mischievous. Here is his actual desk from his school in Marceline, Missouri with his initials carved into it. The story goes that Walt and Roy were visiting their old schoolhouse and one of the teachers pointed this out to Walt.

DSC01171_zps38b5afff.jpg

Up next were some models of Main Street, USA in Disneyland. How awesome would it have been to have these to play dolls with as a child?

DSC01174_zpsab95d830.jpg

DSC01175_zps266efabe.jpg

Next up, was a diorama of "Granny's Cabin." It was hand built by Walt himself, and was inspired by a scene from So Dear To My Heart. It was one of Walt's first attempts at dimensional story telling. It is said that this helped inspire the concept of Disneyland four short years later.

DSC01179_zps2187a811.jpg

And how did this tiny diorama inspire the Disney that we know and love today, you ask? Well, since Walt was already adept at two dimensional story-telling, he began to dream about a place where his audience could step into the worlds where the characters lived, perhaps even becoming characters in the stories. The result was his first theme park, Disneyland.

I absolutely loved this mural of Sleeping Beauty Castle from Disneyland.

DSC01183_zps3063742e.jpg

And in a mock up of Walt's office, you can see a very early rendering for the plans for the Disney World park.

DSC01185_zpsde5d806f.jpg

I wish I could have had this to play with as a child.

DSC01186_zps30ccee02.jpg

And also this mock-up of the Jungle Cruise...

DSC01188_zpsc6cb8c77.jpg

Here's Walt announcing the plans for his latest and greatest project, Disney World.

DSC01190_zpsa7230a6a.jpg

And here is the audio-animatronic Mr. Lincoln, from the World's Fair.

DSC01192_zps1431556e.jpg

They also had a model of New Fantasyland. Words and pictures simply cannot do this justice. The amount of detail, even in the mock-ups, is truly amazing.

DSC01199_zpsd87506fa.jpg

Check out the mini Tree of Life!

DSC01203_zps93e4ecf4.jpg

For those considering a trip to Tokyo Disney, here is a preview of the Explorer's Landing Fortress, which you may get to experience on your trip!

DSC01205_zps9c0153c3.jpg

And this is exactly what California Adventure looks like...

DSC01204_zps276ddaed.jpg

At the end, there is a wonderful and inspring film about how the Walt Disney company came to be. It was truly fascinating and is a great way to kill an hour avoiding the rain or trying to beat the heat!

Subbed to your dining report and just wanted to hop over and catch your trip report, too. Looking forward to reading more!

I am jumping in to read this trip report - and I have to say - it's mainly because I love the way you've named your chapter links! As a huge Friends fan I think it's so clever :) Looking forward to reading about your adventures at the world :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter