We were told we won a night in the castle!

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
Sunday, 12/7 was our first day of vacation for 17 of us. It was a family reunion with my brother's children, their children, our children and our parents. Half of us were waiting by the flagpole in MK for the rest of our group so we could head to the Polynesian for our dinner.

I was hoping to catch a photographer so I was keeping my eyes peeled for CM's. We had one CM approach my parents and just chat with them. It was so nice and my parents love to talk about the family and how cool it was to be in Disney for their 69th wedding anniversary.

I mentioned to this lady CM that I was hoping a photographer would show up at about the same time as the rest of our group because I wanted a group photo. She laughed and told me to go back on to Main Street and just grab a photographer. I told her that I thought that would be rude as there were many people waiting in lines for pictures and after all we had all week to get some pictures.

She left and a few minutes later another CM approached us. I laughed and said something about him being a photographer and how happy I was to see him.

He said, "No, he was not a photographer but a Dream Team Member." I smiled and explained that we had just been talking about finding a photographer to get some group pictures.

He looks me right in the eye and says, "How would you like to spend the night in the castle suite?" I think I almost fell over! I know I stumbled a few steps back and grabbed my heart! I found tears welling in my eyes as I struggled to answer him. Oh yes, yes, yes! Time stood still, DH looked at me and seemed as shocked as I was. My parents do not hear well and read lips mostly. They had not heard his question therefore were looking concerned as I was falling over with excitement!

Just about the time the reality of it hit me and I started figuring sleeping arrangements for 17 of us.................................................................
he put his hand on my shoulder and said "Oh Ma'am, I am just kidding. Did you think I was serious?"

He said this is not how we give away the castle night. He told us that it is all very programed to be random with a certain time, a certain park, a certain ride and a certain chair or car. I just nodded at him, still in shock!

He left a few minutes later. I have no idea what else he said. I was just so full of mixed emotions and busy trying to explain to my parents what had just expired. DH was laughing his head off. He thought it was really funny. I was still somewhat breathless and then I started laughing my head off!:rotfl2:

Two of our children approached and we decided to tell them that they just missed getting to spend the night in the castle because they were 3 minutes late meeting up with us. We told them that we were asked but because our entire group was not there they had to move on to someone else. I know really mean of us! The kids kept saying that no one really asked you that mom. And DH and I kept laughing and saying yes we were asked! Well the part about being asked was the truth!:lmao:

So that is my near castle night experience. I can honestly say I was asked to spend the night in the castle!:goodvibes :rotfl:

It was one of those you either laugh or you cry moments!:confused3

I still can't believe that it happened. Thank goodness DH and others were right there to witness it. They would have never believed me other wise!

Well I am glad you are laughing I would have been terribly upset. That is NOT funny to me. In fact it's downright mean to me. Tell you the truth I would have reported that CM because no telling how many people/kids he upsets with that "line" that he finds funny and tells his friends about the looks on people's faces when he tells them the truth...grrr....He finds joy in other people's sadness. Nope...not funny and I am sorry you went through this.

Like I said you can either laugh or cry. :confused3

It was later in the day and I knew from hearing stories that the castle night is giving away earlier in the day so I was really shocked.

I later thought about getting angry but decided against it. It was a neat dream for the few minutes it lasted!:goodvibes

Well I am glad you are laughing I would have been terribly upset. That is NOT funny to me. In fact it's downright mean to me. Tell you the truth I would have reported that CM because no telling how many people/kids he upsets with that "line" that he finds funny and tells his friends about the looks on people's faces when he tells them the truth...grrr....He finds joy in other people's sadness. Nope...not funny and I am sorry you went through this.

I couldn't agree more. I know the poster said it was a decision not be be upset but that is not magic...

I don't know that I would have thought about whether the time of day was logical or not; or, if being asked that question, I would have thought it wasn't genuine.

At the very least if it were a joke then something should have been given to you and your family as a "no hard feelings" gesture.

When I read the OP I was expecting the last paragraph to be filled with anger and was shocked to find none. It is hard to say how I would have felt if I had the same experience. That would be a roller coaster of emotions that I would not want to ride.

I can tell you straight up what my reaction would have been! I know I would have been terribly upset and very very angry. So many people hoped to have that dream cast upon them, or maybe I should just speak for myself...I would have loved to win that! I would have cried probably if he told me he was joking. I definately would have reported that to someone either in a person or in a letter to disney. I can't remember but did the OP ever state whether he was a photographer or not? If not, what was his purpose for even having the false conversation with her?

I don't think that's very funny. What if you weren't a family of 17, and just a family of 4...a very doable situation with sleeping arrangements. I'd have been very upset & hurt to have that type of a "joke" played on me.

I wouldn't find that funny at all! I would get quite upset if someone made a joke like that. Why would he do that, that's just mean and not at all funny.
I'm glad to hear that you can laugh at it!:wizard:

I would have known it was a joke because I know how they really give the castle away, but if you don't know I can imagine it would be a huge let-down. Maybe he was feeling cranky because apparently the Dream Team won't have a job anymore in less than two weeks.

Sunday, 12/7 was our first day of vacation for 17 of us. It was a family reunion with my brother's children, their children, our children and our parents. Half of us were waiting by the flagpole in MK for the rest of our group so we could head to the Polynesian for our dinner.

I was hoping to catch a photographer so I was keeping my eyes peeled for CM's. We had one CM approach my parents and just chat with them. It was so nice and my parents love to talk about the family and how cool it was to be in Disney for their 69th wedding anniversary.

I mentioned to this lady CM that I was hoping a photographer would show up at about the same time as the rest of our group because I wanted a group photo. She laughed and told me to go back on to Main Street and just grab a photographer. I told her that I thought that would be rude as there were many people waiting in lines for pictures and after all we had all week to get some pictures.

She left and a few minutes later another CM approached us. I laughed and said something about him being a photographer and how happy I was to see him.

He said, "No, he was not a photographer but a Dream Team Member." I smiled and explained that we had just been talking about finding a photographer to get some group pictures.

He looks me right in the eye and says, "How would you like to spend the night in the castle suite?" I think I almost fell over! I know I stumbled a few steps back and grabbed my heart! I found tears welling in my eyes as I struggled to answer him. Oh yes, yes, yes! Time stood still, DH looked at me and seemed as shocked as I was. My parents do not hear well and read lips mostly. They had not heard his question therefore were looking concerned as I was falling over with excitement!

Just about the time the reality of it hit me and I started figuring sleeping arrangements for 17 of us.................................................................
he put his hand on my shoulder and said "Oh Ma'am, I am just kidding. Did you think I was serious?"

He said this is not how we give away the castle night. He told us that it is all very programed to be random with a certain time, a certain park, a certain ride and a certain chair or car. I just nodded at him, still in shock!

He left a few minutes later. I have no idea what else he said. I was just so full of mixed emotions and busy trying to explain to my parents what had just expired. DH was laughing his head off. He thought it was really funny. I was still somewhat breathless and then I started laughing my head off!:rotfl2:

Two of our children approached and we decided to tell them that they just missed getting to spend the night in the castle because they were 3 minutes late meeting up with us. We told them that we were asked but because our entire group was not there they had to move on to someone else. I know really mean of us! The kids kept saying that no one really asked you that mom. And DH and I kept laughing and saying yes we were asked! Well the part about being asked was the truth!:lmao:

So that is my near castle night experience. I can honestly say I was asked to spend the night in the castle!:goodvibes :rotfl:

Ya know?? You have high tolerance....Let me tell you, as a winner in the YOAMD, and the grand prize winner, if someone would have done that to me, I would have been PO'd big time. Thats just wrong, you dont play around like that......That CM was way out of line......

The CM was a dream team member by his own saying and not a photographer. His reasoning for talking to us was never made apparent. I never let him know that we were a group of 17. At that point we were split up into three groups.

I am rather surprised at the number of posters who said they would be angry. :confused3 I guess we have had some really rough spots in our life :sad1: and I must have automatically figured that getting angry over something like this would not be good for anyone.

I was surprised that the dream team member said it to us but it just did not seem big enough to really get upset about.

I would've been forced to tell him a thing or 2...that was very rude of him to get you all excited like that, just to let you down. That wasn't fair of him at all!

The CM was a dream team member by his own saying and not a photographer. His reasoning for talking to us was never made apparent. I never let him know that we were a group of 17. At that point we were split up into three groups.

I am rather surprised at the number of posters who said they would be angry. :confused3 I guess we have had some really rough spots in our life :sad1: and I must have automatically figured that getting angry over something like this would not be good for anyone.

I was surprised that the dream team member said it to us but it just did not seem big enough to really get upset about.

You are on vacation....You are in a happy place where the CM's STRIVE to make it magical...You obviously thought the Castle was amazing to win, based on your reaction.....I am sure he realized that MOST people would react like you did...And, I am sure, with this economy and tough times, people would be really looking forward to this prize...To boost you up then laugh about it was wrong...It would have been one thing if he did this, then joked and gave you a free coupon or something, saying "this might not be as good but here"

The fact he did it, laughed, and then left is wrong...Something you do not expect from Disney.

Merry Xmas to you as well!!

Wow - count me in as someone who would have been really mad. What if your child had heard it happen? I can't imagine my 7 year old hearing that and then being told oops it was a joke.

I hate to admit it, but I would have been m-a-d...anything that the CM did after that point would not even compare to the night in the castle. What a letdown. Kudos to you for taking it in stride. I don't think it was funny at all; I think it was kind of mean, a very, very misguided "joke".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter