Wearing PJs to Walmart

I can’t believe I’m going to use these words, buuuutttt…

Back in my day - flannel pj pants worn with a college sweatshirt or t-shirt was “cool.” I dressed like that to class, Walmart, drinking in the fraternity basement. I always showered (sometimes twice a day). This was just the look back then.

Now, I’ll for sure wear leggings and a sweatshirt out. I sleep in just a tank and underwear, so it’s not pjs. It’s just my work from home attire.

And anyone who judges others by what they wear, especially in this day and age…well…that’s their issue.

They look comfy. :)

We have spirit days throughout the year at work…..pyjama day, crazy hair day, mismatched sock days, etc….Pretty sure I’ve stopped at a store or 2 on my way home and not worried about what people thought.

Its interesting reading the replies, as it shows how many of the people who replied are not from or live in low income areas. I live in a low income, high unemployment area and since the 1980's leisure wear / track suits / sweatpants and now yoga pants are what many people wear on a day to day basis., because they are cheap to buy clothes which are warm. People in this area have a very low budget for clothes, and could buy two pairs of sweatpants for the same price as 1 pair of jeans. When the mall opened around 1990, the local joke at the time was, The Pope came to bless the new building and kept saying in his speech, I bless this new gym, and the Mayor kept correcting him, no your Holiness, its a mall, and the Pope asked, if its a mall, why is everyone wearing tracksuits???

So I see a different side, I see people doing the best they can and wearing cheap sweatpants on a day to day basis, so that they can have money to feed their kids.

Or the supermarket, or anywhere. What’s your opinion?

View attachment 649901

I personally wouldn’t do it, but I have no problem with people who do.

Back in college we sometimes wore PJs to go out to eat at a diner at 3am.
I do not care when adults do it or even if you choose to do it with your children to go to the store etc. What I hate, is is Pajama Day at school. What is the purpose of this? Kids need to be taught what is appropriate dress for a variety of situations and then make the decision on what to wear when they get older.
In middle school I have seen some Victoria's Secret pj outfits that are barely passable and lets face it no one needs to up the hormones anymore than they already are at that age! Why invite it?
I will say wearing pj's to Walmart (which I am using as a generic term for out in public) is fine if it is a conscious decision not peer pressure.
It was hard enough trying to teach kids on line during the pandemic when they are laying in bed in pj's. In my personal observation, the kids whose parents made them get up, dress everyday as if they were going to school and work in a designated area were much more successful than those who literally laid in bed in pjs. Why bring this into the school room?

I have worn like oh bottoms and at shirt at a store after I had dd because I had stitches and I wasn’t going to wear anything that would irritate them and I didn’t give 2 thoughts about it.

Why care what strangers think at the grocery?

Oddly enough I am watching the ending of the Stepford Wives movie

I spent the first thirty five years of my life in a small town and the last ten in a city. In a small town, if you go to Walmart in your pjs, people are going to talk. Frequently if will be derogatory and speculative. For example, “I saw x at the store yesterday and she looked like she just rolled out of bed. Do you think she’s sick? Is she doing drugs? She just doesn’t take care of herself anymore. She’s put on so much weight.” You get the idea. It’s pretty miserable actually. Small town life is different. It’s good in some ways, bad in others.

In the city, I almost never see anyone that I know when I’m out shopping. That changes the motivation to “look your best” when out in the community. People in the city don’t care what you‘re wearing as long as you stay out of the way.

I wouldn‘t go out in pjs unless it was an emergency. However, I don’t really care what other people wear.

I live in a low income, high unemployment area and since the 1980's leisure wear / track suits / sweatpants and now yoga pants are what many people wear on a day to day basis., because they are cheap to buy clothes which are warm....

So I see a different side, I see people doing the best they can and wearing cheap sweatpants on a day to day basis, so that they can have money to feed their kids.

Thank you for offering your very different perspective. It's one I hadn't thought of, foolishly.

As a result, I'll endeavor not to be so judgmental of people wearing workout clothes in stores.

The "adult onesie" pajamas pictured here are still inappropriate, IMO.

I would never wear PJ's in public. That's just me. If others want to, that is their business.

I am just to the point to where I try to avoid Walmart. It just feels like a soul-crushing experience when you go in there. I don't know if I am just getting old and less tolerant, or things have declined that much. Not judging the people in the store, but just the quality of the store in general. It seems that it is difficult to navigate. It is crowded. The staff will either run you over with their big online order carts, or park them in front of what you are trying to get to, and/or block the aisles. They seem to only have about half of what you are looking for on any given trip.....and the icing on the cake is the "checkout" experience. The lines are SO long and it takes forever.

What I hate, is is Pajama Day at school. What is the purpose of this?

I used to be a substitute teacher, and always thought the point of pajama day at school was "something fun / something to look forward to." School is extremely high-pressure nowadays. The powers that be have removed a lot of the fun that use to happen in early elementary school in favor of pushing reading and math standards down to lower and lower ages. It's test after test, and PJ days are often used as a reward for reaching a class goal (especially since edible treats have also been banned in many places.)

That said, I agree with you that middle schoolers are too old for it to really be appropriate. Other things (like dress as they did in a particular decade) are a better choice at that age, and just as much fun.

(I think remote school is a whole other topic, with its own challenges, and I wasn't working in schools at that time, so I won't try to comment on that part.)

I do not care when adults do it or even if you choose to do it with your children to go to the store etc. What I hate, is is Pajama Day at school. What is the purpose of this? Kids need to be taught what is appropriate dress for a variety of situations and then make the decision on what to wear when they get older.
In middle school I have seen some Victoria's Secret pj outfits that are barely passable and lets face it no one needs to up the hormones anymore than they already are at that age! Why invite it?
I will say wearing pj's to Walmart (which I am using as a generic term for out in public) is fine if it is a conscious decision not peer pressure.
It was hard enough trying to teach kids on line during the pandemic when they are laying in bed in pj's. In my personal observation, the kids whose parents made them get up, dress everyday as if they were going to school and work in a designated area were much more successful than those who literally laid in bed in pjs. Why bring this into the school room?
Yes, I'm sure the one, maybe two days out of the year when schools designate "pajama day" will show kids they don't have to dress appropriately in life. :rolleyes:
If the PJs the kids wear are inappropriate, then deal with that. But if they fit the "normal" dress code (whatever that may be... short length, stomachs covered, etc), then let them be.

I will agree there are certain body shapes (and I have one of them) that shouldn't wear certain types of clothes. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to, just that they should make the choice to not to. At the same time, I'll readily admit everyone has the freedom of choice (to an extent) to wear what they want where they want. But at the same time, everyone else has the freedom to judge them for those choices.

On the other hand, have you (general) thought that we try to teach kids to not worry about what others think about them, but then teach kids to worry about what others think of them?

That said, I agree with you that middle schoolers are too old for it to really be appropriate. Other things (like dress as they did in a particular decade) are a better choice at that age, and just as much fun.
I remember pajama days in high school during "spirit week". This was in the 80s. My kids HS still does it.

What I hate, is is Pajama Day at school. What is the purpose of this? Kids need to be taught what is appropriate dress for a variety of situations and then make the decision on what to wear when they get older.
The really interesting thing is when you get to work in a corporate office and they have theme days there too! Oh the horror :faint:

I'm really jesting here. Truth is a dress up day whether it's pjs, sock hops, or whatever isn't going to screw up kids' ability to figure out situations when they get older. They are also quite likely to encounter theme days elsewhere in their lives.

Its interesting reading the replies, as it shows how many of the people who replied are not from or live in low income areas. I live in a low income, high unemployment area and since the 1980's leisure wear / track suits / sweatpants and now yoga pants are what many people wear on a day to day basis., because they are cheap to buy clothes which are warm. People in this area have a very low budget for clothes, and could buy two pairs of sweatpants for the same price as 1 pair of jeans. When the mall opened around 1990, the local joke at the time was, The Pope came to bless the new building and kept saying in his speech, I bless this new gym, and the Mayor kept correcting him, no your Holiness, its a mall, and the Pope asked, if its a mall, why is everyone wearing tracksuits???

I do agree with your premise and think it's true of people out there but the athleisure brands sold today are not cheap. Depending on the brand it's actually a status of wealth these days (in a sense, well you get what I mean).

I love my shefit sports bra to work out in and they cost a pretty penny but so do their leggings..which are $68-$75 (and no I do not care to spend that much on leggings).

My sister-in-law's boyfriend only wears Armani Exchange sweat pant joggers.

There are absolutely 100% people you describe out there but there's also just the trend towards more casual wear. Either way the point should be not to look at someone and assume they are don't know how to dress themselves nor have any respect of those around them or cannot function in society.

I don't wear pajamas anywhere outside the house, I'm not that lazy.

Workout clothes, yoga pants, sweatpants, and anything else like that are clothing, have at it, but not pajamas. Casual wear <> pajamas.

If pajamas in public are your thing go for it but I wouldn't do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter