We're Going to Have a Lot of Big Protests!

I did vote against Prop. 8, and I was very disappointed when it passed. I just don't understand something though.

Generations of heterosexual couples have gone to City Hall or Las Vegas or whatever and had ceremonies not recognized as marriage by their families' churches. I am not a minister or an attorney. Can someone explain to me why this is different? What reason have churches given the No on Prop. 8 campaign for not allowing secular law to recognize couples as married where religious law would not be required to? Maybe I am just too stupid, but there is something here that is just not sinking in.

I sit next to the water cooler at work, I was tempted to make a sign that said "Gay Water Cooler"

KingLouie, if you treated it like a joke, I think people might see why we saw Prop 8 as silly because segregated drinking fountains are silly. Be careful KingLouie. Race is America's third rail. I have gotten kidd glove treatment the second people realize that legally I am not a Caucasian so giving in to your temptation could so easily blow up in your face. I would hate to see that happen to you. I do think that your cause is just. Naturally I would though because we voted the same way.

I don't see KingLouie's comment (nor Rob's earlier-the photo) as a joke at all. I see it as an "in your face" reality check.

If society wants to segregate and make us less than equals, then we would do well to use highly emotive examples of exactly what that means.

I don't see or hear anyone laughing about any of this. :)

I am not a religious person, but there are congregations where gays will find allies. A few of these are all gay like Sha Ar Zahav for Jews or Dignity for Catholics, but most aren't. If cooler heads prevail in the reaction to Prop 8, even though I understand the anger, public support for gay rights will only continue to rise. People do change their minds, but people who change their minds against their will hold the same opinion still. The fat lady has not sung yet. This is not over.

For any NYC people, a protest is also scheduled for Wednesday:

Time and Place Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Time: 6:30pm - 8:00pm
Street: 125 Columbus Ave at 65th Street
City/Town: New York, NY

If you are on Facebook, more information is available, just search for

Prop 8 Protest in New York at Mormon Temple AGAINST HATE

So far, over 1,400 people have RSVPd.

Thanks for this info! I'll be there bearing a sign that says "How come you can have 7 wives and I can't have 1?" which I am making as we speak.

Thanks for this info! I'll be there bearing a sign that says "How come you can have 7 wives and I can't have 1?" which I am making as we speak.

I like that! My other Favorite signs have been:

- Focus on Your Own Damn Family
- I Assume the Gay Chickens Will Remain Caged (a reference to another proposition that received overwhelming support that gives chickens the right to bigger cages)

I like that! My other Favorite signs have been:

- Focus on Your Own Damn Family
- I Assume the Gay Chickens Will Remain Caged (a reference to another proposition that received overwhelming support that gives chickens the right to bigger cages)

Now thats sad Chickens have more rights than we do.

I did vote against Prop. 8, and I was very disappointed when it passed. I just don't understand something though.

Generations of heterosexual couples have gone to City Hall or Las Vegas or whatever and had ceremonies not recognized as marriage by their families' churches. I am not a minister or an attorney. Can someone explain to me why this is different? What reason have churches given the No on Prop. 8 campaign for not allowing secular law to recognize couples as married where religious law would not be required to? Maybe I am just too stupid, but there is something here that is just not sinking in.

Really, this would be no different. But it's not enough for (these) Christians that a gay marriage not be recognized at their church. They want to remove the civil right of a gay person to get married AT ALL. If they had their way, they'd probably make it a law to go to THEIR church on Sundays -- that's the logical next step.

Now thats sad Chickens have more rights than we do.

Lots of people are saying that, and while chickens did gain rights while we lost them in the election, they still get taken out behind the shed when they stop laying eggs.

If the same were true for us, Rosie would be in hot water, since she was just saying on another thread how she was looking forward to menopause :lmao:

Lots of people are saying that, and while chickens did gain rights while we lost them in the election, they still get taken out behind the shed when they stop laying eggs.

If the same were true for us, Rosie would be in hot water, since she was just saying on another thread how she was looking forward to menopause :lmao:

:rotfl2:
Poor rosie

I went during my lunch hour and got some poster board and some markers. Our protest is on Saturday at the Old Court House in downtown St. Louis. The group here is getting together this evening at a neighborhood coffee shop to make signs!! :thumbsup2

Thanks guys for some really great sign ideas!!

I went during my lunch hour and got some poster board and some markers. Our protest is on Saturday at the Old Court House in downtown St. Louis. The group here is getting together this evening at a neighborhood coffee shop to make signs!! :thumbsup2

My current favorite is:

"Can we vote on YOUR marriage now?"

And I thought it was a good thing when someone asks me behind a shed.

I went to the LA County Board of Supervisors meeting on my lunch hour since its right up the street from my office, where the LA County Board of Supervisors decided to join the lawsuit to overthrow prop 8 :banana: :banana:

I agree - poor poor pathetic Rosie. :guilty:

http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=churchsignzx1.jpg

churchsignzx1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter