We're off tomorrow!

Really enjoyed your report!! Can I ask how long the drive to St Augustines was? That's something we are considering! Thanks!

Thank you!

I think it was less than two hours - but can't remember exactly. Will talk to DH later. He'll know. :)

I'm so glad people have enjoyed the report.

Nice to see a few pictures - the sky looks lovely & blue. Thought that was you at first at the jail - until I read the caption!

Thought that was you at first at the jail - until I read the caption!

:lmao: I bet you wondered what on earth I was wearing!

I'll post some more photos when I get back home tomorrow night. I'm working away at the moment.

Great pics :thumbsup2 I am really looking forward to our trip to St Augustine in August now. What would you say was the best thing you saw/did there?

DH has confirmed it took a little under 2 hours to get to St Augustine.

It's hard to say what the best thing was that we saw. We weren't there long enough to look at everything, so will be going back and spending more time there.

We thought the trolleybus tour was good - as we were able to park the car for free (elsewhere in town there are charges) and see the town with the benefit of the guides giving their commentary. It isn't a particularly large place, so you could walk round it though.

I enjoyed the tour of the old jail - and also found the history and architecture of the town to be interesting. There's a 'fountain of youth' a fort and many other things which we didn't get time to see.

I guess it depends how interested you are in history etc

DH has confirmed it took a little under 2 hours to get to St Augustine.

It's hard to say what the best thing was that we saw. We weren't there long enough to look at everything, so will be going back and spending more time there.

We thought the trolleybus tour was good - as we were able to park the car for free (elsewhere in town there are charges) and see the town with the benefit of the guides giving their commentary. It isn't a particularly large place, so you could walk round it though.

I enjoyed the tour of the old jail - and also found the history and architecture of the town to be interesting. There's a 'fountain of youth' a fort and many other things which we didn't get time to see.

I guess it depends how interested you are in history etc

Thanks - I definitely think we will visit the jail. We want to go over to the lighthouse too but we only have a day or so. We are staying overnight though so don't necessarily have to rush off the next morning so will get a chance to do anything we missed. I suspect a day is not going to be enough though.

Thanks - I definitely think we will visit the jail.

There are a number of ticketing options for the trolleybus tour that include entry to various attractions. The ticket we went for included the jail and the museum near to the jail.

Back home again now - so have uploaded a few more piccies. Sorry - didn't take any pictures of any food!

Mai Tiki Bar at Cocoa Beach pier - great place for afternoon cocktails!
P5080135.jpg

Jazz at the Winery - singer left stage & went on walkabout through the audience
P5090153.jpg

Sunshine Skyway Bridge
P5100168.jpg

Shuttle launch
P5140230.jpg

Fort de Soto Beach
P5100176.jpg

The first piccies!

P1010007.jpg

Our guide at the St Augustine jail

P5050047.jpg

The oldest wooden schoolhouse in the US

P5050085.jpg

My god, I think you had the exact same car as we did last month, heehee. Ah, happy memories.

Also, love the pic of the heron on Cocoa Beach pier. We drove to the beach for the first time on our recent trip, but not being familiar with the area, we missed the pier altogether. I just parked up at Ron Jon's, walked across the street, and we lounged on the beach all day. Must try to locate the pier next time we go. Were there various amusements there, or not?

My god, I think you had the exact same car as we did last month, heehee. Ah, happy memories.

Also, love the pic of the heron on Cocoa Beach pier. We drove to the beach for the first time on our recent trip, but not being familiar with the area, we missed the pier altogether. I just parked up at Ron Jon's, walked across the street, and we lounged on the beach all day. Must try to locate the pier next time we go. Were there various amusements there, or not?

Snap! Great car, wasn't it? Did you rent it through Hertz and had you specified a Mustang when you booked?

You didn't miss too much with the pier. It is a bit tacky. There are a couple of other bar/restaurants and that's about it. I like the Mai Tiki Bar as you feel a bit removed from the rest of the place, being above the water and at the end of the pier.

Snap! Great car, wasn't it? Did you rent it through Hertz and had you specified a Mustang when you booked?

You didn't miss too much with the pier. It is a bit tacky. There are a couple of other bar/restaurants and that's about it. I like the Mai Tiki Bar as you feel a bit removed from the rest of the place, being above the water and at the end of the pier.

No, we got our car from Budget, but booked it online here with uscarrental.co.uk (I think that was the site). We opted for Budget after a tip I got on here from Wayne (thanks Wayne), whereby you can pre-register your Budget rental online, then you don't need to go to the desk at all at Orlando airport, you go straight out to the garage and the car is ready for you. Saved us no end of time. And no, we didn't specify any particular car. We got out to the parking garage, and the guy told me I had a choice between a Mustang and a Ford Focus. Didn't take me too long to think about that one!!

Just booked with Complete Orlando for August next year, Old Key West resort, our first time onsite at Disney. More than a year away, and I'm already getting excited, lol. Hope we manage to get a Mustang again!

All the best, Carl.

Just booked with Complete Orlando for August next year, Old Key West resort, our first time onsite at Disney. More than a year away, and I'm already getting excited, lol. Hope we manage to get a Mustang again!

All the best, Carl.

What dates you booked Carl?
We have still to decide on OKW or offsite for next year, waiting for clarification on the Dining plan, if desserts are not included I think we will opt for offsite. Our dates will be 4th -21st, 21st-25th Disney Cruise, 25th-29th offsite.

What dates you booked Carl?
We have still to decide on OKW or offsite for next year, waiting for clarification on the Dining plan, if desserts are not included I think we will opt for offsite. Our dates will be 4th -21st, 21st-25th Disney Cruise, 25th-29th offsite.

Hi Wayne.

We're booked for 6th-20th August 2011, at Old Key West. Hope you and some other DIS members will be there, would be great to have a meet.

We've only ever stayed offsite before, and given our humble means, it's always been the low budget places (Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, always on I Drive). Really love that central location, and we are very easy to please, foodwise, so always eat at places like Chili's, Perkins, Denny's, Fuddruckers, Johnny Rockets.

Obviously, this will be our first time on the Dining Plan, and I'm sad to see that it looks like it will change for next year, because I'm a big eater, and all of us love our desserts! The only way I'm gonna get around this is by booking lots of buffets and all-you-can-eat meals. I've had a look already, and with our TS credits, I think we'll do 11 dinners and 3 breakfasts. I'm sure I'll get slated on here for some of these choices, but this is what I've picked out.

Dinners- Crystal Palace, 'Ohana, Cape May Cafe, Boma, Olivia's, Turf Club, 1900 Park Fare, Trail's End Buffet, Biergarten, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Breakfasts- Olivia's x2, Captain's Grille.

Any comments on these choices would be very welcome, from anyone.

Also Wayne, how do you rate OKW? Is there any particular area where I should try to get a room when we check in?

All the best, Carl.

Hi Wayne.

We're booked for 6th-20th August 2011, at Old Key West. Hope you and some other DIS members will be there, would be great to have a meet.

Dinners- Crystal Palace, 'Ohana, Cape May Cafe, Boma, Olivia's, Turf Club, 1900 Park Fare, Trail's End Buffet, Biergarten, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Breakfasts- Olivia's x2, Captain's Grille.

Any comments on these choices would be very welcome, from anyone.

Also Wayne, how do you rate OKW? Is there any particular area where I should try to get a room when we check in?

All the best, Carl.

Even if we stay offsite I will arrange a DISmeet somewhere, either in a park or resort.

Difficult if the DDP does change. We have always enjoyed buffets but found out on DDP last year we didn't enjoy them as much as table service. I think it was mainly down to them being too busy.
Cape May was the worst, lines for food were crazy(a couple of arguments going on with people pushing in) Karen also struggled to find something to eat as she won't eat anything from the sea.
Also didn't like 1900 Park Fare, again too busy and very loud, not helped having to wait an hour to be seated.
Turf Club we enjoyed but more for the server and excellent service rather than the food.
Did Crystal Palace & Chef Mickey's for breakfast, both good but I struggle to eat before lunch so this year cutting it to 1 breakfast at Ohana's.
Paid for trails end about 4 or 5 times, also Boma twice, enjoyed them both.
Our fave place was probably Le Cellier but we also really liked all the family style dining places where you eat as much as you like but they bring it to you, Whispering Canyon, Liberty Tree & Ohana. I guess these will be very popular if they remove dessert from DDP.
We have Biergarten down for this year but might change it yet if we have an exceptional meal somewhere. Also trying Olivia's.

We really liked OKW, nice relaxed resort, not sure if any areas are better than others, I will just take what the give me.

Even if we stay offsite I will arrange a DISmeet somewhere, either in a park or resort.

Difficult if the DDP does change. We have always enjoyed buffets but found out on DDP last year we didn't enjoy them as much as table service. I think it was mainly down to them being too busy.
Cape May was the worst, lines for food were crazy(a couple of arguments going on with people pushing in) Karen also struggled to find something to eat as she won't eat anything from the sea.
Also didn't like 1900 Park Fare, again too busy and very loud, not helped having to wait an hour to be seated.
Turf Club we enjoyed but more for the server and excellent service rather than the food.
Did Crystal Palace & Chef Mickey's for breakfast, both good but I struggle to eat before lunch so this year cutting it to 1 breakfast at Ohana's.
Paid for trails end about 4 or 5 times, also Boma twice, enjoyed them both.
Our fave place was probably Le Cellier but we also really liked all the family style dining places where you eat as much as you like but they bring it to you, Whispering Canyon, Liberty Tree & Ohana. I guess these will be very popular if they remove dessert from DDP.
We have Biergarten down for this year but might change it yet if we have an exceptional meal somewhere. Also trying Olivia's.

We really liked OKW, nice relaxed resort, not sure if any areas are better than others, I will just take what the give me.

Thanks for all this Wayne.

I hear what you're saying about prefering proper table service meals to buffets. I agree with you. But just don't see how I will get the volume of food I need without doing the buffets and the all-you-can-eats, lol! It's a real shame that desserts are being dropped from the Dining Plan next year.

PS We too love Le Cellier, one of the few Disney restaurants we've done. Although that is going to Signature status next year, so will cost 2TS credits each. I also hear there will be even fewer tables in there. We also love Boma and Crystal Palace, so I at least know we're safe with those choices.

Cheers, Carl.

Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested in Busch Gardens.....

DH wrote to them expressing our disappointment with the park visit this year compared to previous visits. They have sent us a very good reply, clearly addressing each of the points we made.

They confirmed that Rhino Rally River and the Clydesdale Hamlet have been permanently closed - and removed from both their website and other park information. Rhino Rally River is to be 'repurposed' for a new attraction scheduled to open in 2011.

They also suggested avoiding Thursdays and Fridays in May and part of June to miss the large school groups.

Finally, they have offered to replace our tickets for another visit.

All in all, a very satisfactory reply, we thought. :)

Glad you were happy with their response.
We have at least 2 days pencilled in for August at Busch, a Tuesday & a Wednesday so hopefully quieter days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter