Westjet companion fare question...

kuhltiffany

DIS Veteran
We're trying to maximize points/coupons/deals, etc. for our flights to Europe next summer. There are 4 of us travelling (2 adults, kids will be 14 and 15). Plan is to fly into Paris about the 10/11 of July and return from somewhere else about a month later (Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, not sure yet). DH has a Westjet credit card we can use the companion fare from. A few thoughts...

It says we can use it for return flights, but how does that work when we're not using the same airports to/from?

If not, can we use two? Book one years certificate for one way, another years for return?

I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to apply as well, we are above the family income threshold but I won't qualify under the individual income, any idea if this is possible?

Any other flight tips appreciated! I don't have a lot of experience booking non-North America...

THe companion fares can only be used on actual WestJet flights, not codeshares: "Valid on all published Econo, Flex or Plus fares wholly marketed and operated by WestJet, including seat sales."

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/terms-conditions/companion-voucher

For Europe, WestJet only flies to London (Gatwick), UK; Dublin, Ireland; Glasgow, UK; and Paris, France. I don't know if it flies to all of those year-round or if some are seasonal.

My husband and I have both had the Westjet MC since it was introduced - we use the companion passes for our two kids. We have likely saved close to $10K since we got them.

However, I believe you have to use them for a return trip - not one way and it has to be the identical trip you are taking - so you can't fly Monday and come back Friday and say have your companion fly back on Saturday or Thursday - has to be exact same flight.

The best thing to do though is to call and ask them directly.

It may be worth it to plan your itinerary to end up flying back from the same airport so the companion fare is valid for the the whole trip. It is my understanding travel is quite inexpensive within Europe (specifically airfare) so may be a cheaper option to return to Paris to fly home.

We're trying to maximize points/coupons/deals, etc. for our flights to Europe next summer. There are 4 of us travelling (2 adults, kids will be 14 and 15). Plan is to fly into Paris about the 10/11 of July and return from somewhere else about a month later (Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, not sure yet). DH has a Westjet credit card we can use the companion fare from. A few thoughts...

It says we can use it for return flights, but how does that work when we're not using the same airports to/from?

If not, can we use two? Book one years certificate for one way, another years for return?

I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to apply as well, we are above the family income threshold but I won't qualify under the individual income, any idea if this is possible?

Any other flight tips appreciated! I don't have a lot of experience booking non-North America...

Aside from the requirement to book WestJet operated flights, I also suspect you wouldn't be able to use the companion fare on a multi-city itinerary. They're pretty much only good for your standard round-trip itinerary. I booked tickets for my family from Ottawa to Gatwick this summer with a week-long stopover in Halifax to visit my family in Nova Scotia. The base fare didn't change with the addition of the long stopover, which was awesome, but I wasn't able to use a companion voucher. The WestJet agent I spoke to initially said I could, but ultimately was not able to apply it.

You might be able to use the two certificates for one-way flights, but it wouldn't be worth it. The base cost of the companion voucher is $400 to Europe, plus unlike domestic pricing, one-way international flights are still usually priced at well more than half of the round trip fare. So I doubt you could do this and come out ahead. (For context, the base fare on my *return* ticket to Gatwick is $700, so using two one-way companion vouchers, even if it's possible, would cost more than a return ticket on the price of the companion vouchers alone.)

I tend to agree with the previous poster; if you really want to use the companion fare for this trip, your best option is probably to make your way back to Paris for departure.

As for your question around applying for a second account, you should be fine if you meet the family income threshold, but whether it's worth it depends on how you intend to use it. Even though we have a family of four and fly WestJet fairly regularly, I've resisted having my husband apply for a second account. The annual fee is up to $120, and the companion voucher base fare is $99 + tax for a domestic or continental US flight. So if you're buying the card JUST for the sake of the companion voucher, your base cost on that flight is effectively $220. I rarely book domestic flights with a base cost higher than about $350 (total fare ~$500), so the extra companion voucher might save us around $100/year, as long as we use it. If for some reason we don't have the opportunity to use the voucher in a given year, it costs us $120 for the annual fee, with no incremental benefit. If we're travelling together, bags go free anyway on my WestJet card. So for us it's just not worth it. Some people will apply for the card with a single trip in mind, and cancel after a year. That way you offset the annual fee (and then some) with the welcome bonus, save money on your trip, and don't need to worry about the card costing you money down the road. I'm not a card churner, so that kind of one-off strategy doesn't interest me much, but it can be very effective if you're just trying to drive down the cost of an individual trip.

For the record, I love my WestJet Mastercard and it has definitely saved us money for several years running, but for us one is enough. If I was going to consider paying an annual fee for a second premium card, there are probably other options that would save us more overall.

Last edited:
I would call and ask about booking 2 one-way trips on 2 different years' companion fare. I honestly don't know if they can do it, but the worst they can say is 'no'. When we flew to Vancouver (did the Rocky Mountaineer tour), I chose to do a one-way. The CSR commented on the fact that I was losing out on that return fare. I explained that I did know that, but a one-way was what I wanted. (Flights for home weren't released when I booked anyway) We flew home from Calgary, so, for that, I used my airmiles. Win on all accounts.

Last edited:
It’s too bad that RBC doesn’t have accounts that waive monthly fees based on a minimum balance. Otherwise getting their VIP chequing account would be a no brainer.

I was just able to book a multi city flight with our companion ticket. I did have to call in and do it. I was also able to use my west jet dollars towards the flight fees (not taxes). When I called in I was told as long as I was flying from my destination or back to the same airport we left from.

We are flying from YVR to MCO then on the way back we are flying from MCO to YYJ.

I was just able to book a multi city flight with our companion ticket. I did have to call in and do it. I was also able to use my west jet dollars towards the flight fees (not taxes). When I called in I was told as long as I was flying from my destination or back to the same airport we left from.

We are flying from YVR to MCO then on the way back we are flying from MCO to YYJ.

This is great to know, thank you!

We recently booked flights to California using westjet dollars and member exclusive fares. $33.00 out of pocket to LAX, $10.10 out of pocket home from San Diego. = $175ish for all 4 of us to fly to Disneyland. The Westjet card is definitely worth it for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter