• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Are The Must Have Items For Dorm Living

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
I want to start buying some items for DS even though we don't know where he will be as a Freshman, Fall of 05. I know they all give you lists of essential items, but I thought I would ask all you experts......

What are some of your favorite things in your dorm that you couldn't live without?

Thanks!

Lynn

RAMEN NOODLES!

I always had tons of those in my dorm room in college!!!

Towels, CD's, photos of family and friends (esp if he's going far away and won't be able to see these people often)

a brita water pitcher and fridge (some dorms have a fridge). I musta used those things a lot.

in my dorm, i was not allowed a microwave, so my room mate and I bought a pot heating thing. Its like an electric pot heater, so we made macaroni and cheese on it a lot! Its great! Another essential would be an egg crate or mattress pad. I actually had a double mattress pad and an egg crate. I don't know what the dorms will be like where your son will be going, but I know our beds were very stiff and uncomfortable. Good Luck!!

:earsgirl:

There are a lot of things to remember. Surprisingly enough you might need duct tape. It holds everything together or if you have to tape down wires or anything like that. Also any basic tools such as screwdrivers and a hammer, just in case you have to take something apart such as a bed or in my case I had to take a door off it's hinges because my roommate locked herself out of the bathroom. A personal trash can is very helpful and also bring an umbrella! Those are the things you just don't think about that usually aren't on a list. Word of advice, make a check list! I can't remember everything I want to take and there is so much to remember just make a check list. Makes it a lot easier.

Oh, ew. Ramen noodles = gross. lol.

TV, laptop, lots of pillows and extra long sheets, egg crate extra long mattress cover, DVDs, speakers for my laptop...

Hmm, I'm a girl so I'm sure my obsession with girlie products are different.

I do have a cool hamper that has three different sections so that I can sort my laundry easily.

Go to Costco or whatever wholesale store you have and stock up on his favorite snacks that he can just store under the bed.

He's a guy, so I doubt this is important, but I adore my over the door shoe rack.

A Mogu pillow ;)

QUARTERS for laundry!

Mmm...it's way too early to find most dorm stuff though, since it's not in season. Although it seems dumb to wait until the last minute, in July all the dorm stuff comes out in all the stores and it's so easy to find everything you need. During the year things like extra long eggcrates for the bed are hard to come by.

What a great thread! We just got home from a tour of Merrimack College w/ our DS! Looks like this may be the place for him next fall, and I am one of those "plan ahead" kind of Mom's! Keep the ideas coming- especially love the one about duct tape!

Extension cords and surge protectors. Outlets are NEVER where you want them to be, and especially if you're living in a dorm built in the 30s like I did, there aren't anywhere near enough of them.

A big corkboard and dry-erase board. Keep a small dry-erase board for your door, but a big one combined with a corkboard (like this) can be invaluable for keeping track of athletic tickets, calendar stuff, phone numbers, all sorts of things. I screwed a few cup hooks into the bottom of the frame of mine and kept my keys there.

Lots of towels. Embroidered ones are great, because it's harder to steal something with someone else's initials on it.

A clock radio with battery backup. The battery backup is the most important part -- power supplies in dorms can be kind of iffy sometimes, and if you don't have that backup, you'll figure it out when you wake up at 8:45 for an 8 AM test.

the things i couldnt have lived without were my fride, microwave.. dont forget your bowls plates utenisils things like that.. also if you have a roommate make sure you talk to them about what they're bringing so you dont end up with two tvs or somethin like that. duct tape is a must. you dont think you need it until something breaks. also Febreeze, small living quarters can equal weird smells, and Febreeze can take care of most of it. extension chords i believe were mentioned. i loved my toaster even though i wasnt supposed to have it cuz its a fire hazzard, but i always figured my roommates curling iron was more likely to set the place on fire. also figure out the cost of calling home on the dorms phone plan versus a calling card, it might be cheaper to use a calling card or it might be cheaper to just use the dorm plan (mine was 10 cents a min). oh yeah and scissors. i cant tell you the number of times i ended up needing those. the best peice of advice i can give you is to just make a list of everything you seem to use on a daily or weekly schedule and take it with you.. if your kid doesnt use it the first month they are at school either ship it home or bring it home on break. remember the mail system works there to so you can always send them stuff they need, and unless theyre going to a wilderness school i'm sure they can buy stuff. the trick is to not have to buy to much once your down there and to also not take your entire house. oh yeah and one more piece of advice please make sure your kids knows how to do laundry using a pay machine. i know you think your kid has that down, but it would surprise you to know that i lived on a floor where one person didnt wash clothes except at breaks, and one person only showered once a week. so remind them that stuff like that should be done, on and if they end up with a roommate who only showers once a week have them switch rooms as soon as possible. and if they have a problem they can got to the R.A (room advisor) that what they're there for. i think that all the advice i have. and remind them of the dangers of alcohol, you can die from drinking to much in one night.

Bed risers. Some people use cement blocks but you can find ones made for beds specifically when all the dorm stuff comes out. Hooks that you can stick to your walls. I use them to hang my backpack and towels so that I can get stuff off the floor. I also love my fridge and TV. If you do a search on google you can find lists that other college students have made. I used those last summer to make a list of the stuff I thought I would really need. It worked well for me.

Oh ya! don't forget first aid kind of things (band-aids, advil, etc). You'd be suprised how many people have asked me for things like that.

i commute to a city school so my essentials are obviously different....
unlimited ride metro card for bus/subway
ipod
gameboy or nintendo DS for those long, rush hour subway rides
xbox Live
creative away messages on yur comp

Can I just say that I always pack WAAAYYYY to much, so when I left for college last year, I filled up a Toyota Sienna haha (I only live 2 hours away from school).

Couldn't live without:
-Computer and printer (some kids get the computer but how helpful is that without a printer?)
-Microwave and fridge (make sure to check the size requirements that some dorms have on fridges)
-Laundry Hamper (some places sell convenient ones that colapse to take up less space)
-Power Strip with surge protector (common sense)
-Extension cords (Electrical sockets are spare)
-DUCT TAPE (firm believer in duct tape haha.. taped cords to the floor, taped white board to the back of my door)
-Large Towels, basket for shower items, and a lock for a locker (Bathroom essentials)
-Microwave-able bowls/plates/cups (Easy Mac is not easy to make when you dont have any bowls to heat it up in!)
-Medicine (IB Prophin, Tylenol Cold, Nasal Decongestant, Tums, cough drops, chap stick... You never know what kind of weird dorm disease you kid could catch. Colds spread very easily in the dorms!!)
-Plastic Containers (big tubs to place under the bed to store things in like books, movies, food items, water)
-Extra long twin sheets (I found mine at Linens and Things)

Fun Items (remember I'm a girl haha)
-Picture Frames (one of my fav. things to do is to see my friends pictures of them before i met them)
-TV with VCR or DVD player (Sometimes there is nothing interesting on TV, so a movie night is needed)
-Posters (some people feel more at home when they decorate their room)
-Dry Erase markers and board (Its fun to leave messages to roommates letting them know when you will be back or something)
-Umbrella (I forgot mine, and needed it a month into school started!)
-Camera (I love my digital camera, but maybe a disposable camera or two so he can take pics of him at school to send home everyonce and a while)

I hope thats a good start..

I completley agree with the duct tape + tools!!!

-light cleaning products... the lysol wipes work really well for dusting and cleaning spills (I've found my room gets really dusty, really fast).
-stamps and extra birthday/thank you/greeting cards for family + friends at other schools.
-plastic bags... very useful
-shower shoes
-towels, silverware, cups, plates, bowls
-dish soap
-under-bed storage containers
-magnet/white board
-"sticky tak" or that blue putty works well for hanging posters on the wall
-a lockbox
-alarm clock
-medicine, advil, cough drops
-band-aids + neosporin

(sorry if I've repeated an idea)
good luck with everything! :)

Just a little word of caution as you start shopping - many colleges have different restrictions on some of the things you may be thinking of buying. DS couldn't have an egg crate mattress pad, no bed risers in his dorm (though some dorms allowed them, depending on the beds), no coffee pots, George Foremans, his laundry room uses his swipe card so no quarters needed - and silly as it sounds, he didn't even need the little white board i got for his door because there were permanently mounted ones already there. I did buy all the bedding stuff early - watch for a good sale - I bought at great sale price from JC Penney online. Target also carries extra-long. And definately all the medicines he could possibly use - start shopping early for those and you can find small size bottles on sale - and for sure, lysol & windex wipes. Good luck!

Here's a few more:
*Nalegene Bottles (or a cheap knock-off) - The NMU bookstore has even
started selling them in our bookstore with the NMU logo on them.
They are very popular around campus.
*An MP2 player or CD player - I see lots of people walking to class listening to
them.
*Computer - make sure it has a cd burner or a floppy drive so that he can
back up his files! I've lost so many documents over the years because my
computer crashed it's not even funny anymore.
*I agree about the first aid kit - I've had a lot of people come and ask to
borrow my thermometer.
*Duck tape is also a must - Just be careful when taking it down, sometimes it
can chip the paint off the wall.
*I have lots of pictures around my room in really fun frames and posters up on
my walls. Makes it more like home.
*Stationary and stamps to write letters home. Although nowadays, I just
e-mail.
*If you want to get him a cell phone make sure that it works in the area of his
school. There are lots of people up here at Northern that can't use theirs
because their service provider isn't up here, so their phones don't work.
Tracfones are becoming pretty popular up here to use.

in hindsight i wish i had bought a calendar during undergrad to keep track of appointments/meetings/due dates. there are probably plenty of electronic alternatives.

glade plug-in air fresheners masked the smell of my dirty roommate pretty well freshman year, but if you're buying for him, make sure you don't get any weird, girly scents.

desk lamp

this suggestion is probably pointless these days, because anyone who is going to have a cell phone already has one. i was very very anti-cell phone until a couple years ago, when the typical monthly charge sank well below my monthly monthly hard line bill. also, free long distance means no excuse for not calling home!

I would say a doorstop. Most dorm rooms have dorrs that qutomatically shut. I hated this so I had to go out and get a door stop.
I would also say a hot pot. They are good for making any hot drink, roman noodles, and condensed soup. WARNING do not put anything but water in them!! Mix your drink/meal after you have taken the water out.

Ok let's see...

Shower Shoes!! (just a cheap pair of flip flops work great)
My bed is lofted above my desk so my roommate and I bought those folding chairs so we have somewhere comfy to sit and watch tv but we can fold them and put them in the corner. (there's expensive ones that are like $50 but my boyfriend just bought one of those folding lawn chairs at target)
Scotch Tape (I use that a LOT)
That tacky stuff that you can hang posters on the wall with
Thumb tacks
COMMAND HOOKS!!! They are all over my room...I use them in my closet to hang belts, on the door for towels and jackets, on the wall to hang my keys or to hang picture frames.
Milk crates have come in handy for me
A lanyard (for the room key)

Well good luck with the shopping!

~Jess

I remember I was very popular on my first day, because I was the only one in my corridor who'd bought coffee, milk, and food (mostly cookies and cupcakes :rolleyes: ) with me. I have everybody crowding in my room to have a drink and something to eat, and it was a fantastic way to meet everyone! So it might be a good idea for him to have something edible with him on his first day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter