What are your New York "must see's"

Here's my list:

Chinatown
Little Italy
Guggenheim Museum
New York Public Library

and everyone should visit the Metropolitan Museum at least once in there life, but be warned it's overwhelming.

Plus I always have to gorge myself at Katz's Deli...:lovestruc

Hi,
I lived in NY for a few years, so I hope my 2c might be useful. I've not read through the whole thread (newbie here), so I may repeat things.

My advice to any visitors who came to see us was to start at the bottom of Manhattan and work North. Take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and takes right by the Statue of Liberty. There's not all that much to be gained by paying to go to Liberty Island.

Govenors Island is really lovely (but only opens at certain times of the year).

South St Seaport is well worth a look and walking distance from SI ferry terminal. Wall street is interesting for a look.

Ground Zero. Not sure of the current state, but probably still a construction site.

Highline park is nice...and quite interesting (used to be a railway line).

Catch a bus from downtown all the way up Broadway. Very interesting to just look out the window.

Great restaurants around Soho and Little Italy. China Town is excellent.

Macy's on 34th.

B&H is an much a sightseeing adventure as it is an amazing store. LOVE that place. Check opening times. It's run by very orthodox jews, who do observe the Sabbath.

Times Square is a tacky tourist trap, but one of those things you just do anyway. Toys-R-Us is the best part. Bryant park is a couple of blocks from there and is well worth a trip. If you are there in Winter there is an outdoor skating rink. It's also right next to the New York Library where Ghostbusters was set. Grand central on 42nd.

Central Park. The zoo isn't bad. The carriages are nice to take pics of, but a bit of a rip off to ride. On foot is just as nice. Head down the mall to the lake. Have a hotdog and a pretzel as New Yorkers do, then quickly put it behind you as a one off (they are really not that good).

There are plenty of great museums and galleries and they actually are quite interesting as they are so different to what we have here.

There is the Apollo theatre in Harlem but it's a long way for not much to see.

Brooklyn is awesome (my "home" away from Australia. If you like Japanese food go to "Ten" in Park Slope on 7th ave and 16th street. The best we have had anyway (including Japan). Smiling Pizza on 7th and 9th is excellent. Prospect Park is a smaller version of Central Park. It was our "backyard" and we loved it.

Coney Island is worth the train ride. It's all sorts of tacky, and interesting and wonderful at the same time.

Ok, you've probably heard enough from me. I really could go on and on. Please PM if you want some more details :)

Ended up purchasing 2 day NYpass with discount code on Disboards ad - cost $110.
Will have two teenage Daughters(14& 16) with us. Surprising them as they only know about the Florida part of our trip(theme parks, Disney cruise,miami, etc)
Hope to do following on the pass
Top Of Rock
Empire State & NY skyride
Bike tour Central Park,
Madame Taussads
Circle line Beast ride
Nite sail cruise
On Location Uptown tour-Did anyone do this?? was it any good for teenagers??

Also need to take wife to Magnolia Bakery for a tasting session and also to get cookbooks
Time Square people watching
Blokey meal and beers @ Virgils BBQ just off Time Square

Cheers
Slugguts

Thanks for all your tips everyone!!! Love that I have so many people to help me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter