What can be prepared in an electric skillet?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
I think I've been convinced to bring our electric skillet with us, but I can't think of a whole lot to prepare, other than grilled cheese sandwiches. That alone would make it worthwhile, but I just KNOW you guys will have some great ideas!! :)

When our kids were younger(and I was pregnant), Betty Crocker was my best friend...there is a Hamburger Helper for everyone! There is also Chicken and Tuna Helper, and several other meal-in-a-box dishes where you just add chicken or beef. Seasoned beef for tacos is still a hit, but everyone's favorite lately is shrimp. The larger shrimp(we purchase it by the pound, the E-Z peel tiger shrimp) is great if you cook it in garlic butter for just a few minutes(until it is pink). All kinds of breakfast foods can be prepared in an electric skillet...eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes/french toast, etc. Sometimes I make fried rice in my skillet, or a stir-fry of some kind. You can fix anything in it you would normally grill, like hamburgers or chicken breast, for sandwiches, or added to a salad (grilled chicken salads are great if you marinate the chicken breast in italian dressing in a large ziploc bag before grilling). I'm sure other posters will have much better ideas, but this should get things started. :)

Think of anything you cook at home in a pot or a frying pan. Breakfast foods can all be done in there, french toast, pancakes, eggs bacon. hamburgers for lunch, grilled chicken cutlets.
Basically anything you make at home.

Scrambled eggs, french toast, pancakes, sausages, grilled cheese, boxed mac and cheese

There stuff like Rice a Roni, and add meat to it.

Taco stuff

Really anything, just pretend you are at home!

My Mom used to make chili in her skillet. Just brown the meat, add 2 cans of chili beans and a can of diced tomatoes--sometimes an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, too. Let it simmer a bit and you're all set. So simple and so cheap! :)

We once took our electrict skillet to a cabin with us. The cabin's stove didn't work, so we used the skillet for EVERYTHING. We even managed to make a whole spaghetti dinner with it. Boiled the noodles first. Then browned the garlic bread (prebuttered, butter side down). Finally, we heated the sauce and poured it over the noodles. Mmmmmm!

I've seen bags of stir fry (beef and chicken) at the grocery store. You could do that too. I plan on bringing my skillet and crockpot on our next visit to FW in May.

I applaud the idea of eating in your room. After fighting the crowds in the parks it is wonderful to take a break in the peace and quiet of your room. In that vein, we always take a small microwave. There are so many microwaveable non refrigerated meals and snacks out there nowadays. The electric skillet idea sounds good also but I have always wondered how you washed the thing if you cooked something greasy. Would make quite a mess in the tub and the sinks are too small for it to fit well IMHO. I would almost think it worth the while to buy a cheap microwave if you are staying for any length of time if you do not drive as we do. BUT, I do love grilled sandwiches and you sure cannot do that well in a microwave. LOL

Slightly Goofy

I was wondering what kind of hotel you use a crockpot in? It is a regular type room or a room with a kitchen or kitchenette? It seems like they wouldn't want something cooking all day without supervision. I'm sure the housekeeper would smell it. My daughter and I have been talking about it even before I saw it on here and we wondered what the people at the hotel thought about it. Has anyone that works at the hotels ever said anything about it to you?

On Warm you can even heat poptarts in an electric skillet!!

My favorite Electric Skillet 1 pan dish is one of the ones that you can adjust to your famliy's taste.

1. a meat 2. a can of cream soup or tomatoe sauce 3. a vegi, frozen or canned 4.For Variety,serve or noodles or rice,or add to skillet top ramen noodles.
EXAMPLES:
1. Brown Hamburger & season to taste 2.Add Mushroom soup 3.1 can of green beans4.1 package of top ramen noodles
1. can of tuna 2. can of cream a chicken soup 3. frozen peas 4. Add minute rice.
1. Brown Hamburger season with italian seasonings2. Add tomatoe sauce ,simmer 3. add corn

Well, I am a DVC member and our "home away from home" has a microwave, a fridge and a kitchen sink!! :) I still want to bring the electric skillet because the microwave is limited (I think).

For the record, we only use our slow cooker and electric skillet at OKW or BWV, where cooking in your room is allowed. To date, I have only brought one or the other on each trip, for convenience. Now, I did purchase a toaster(for bagels and pop-tarts) at the Wal-Mart in Kissemmee and used it in our rooms at the All-Stars once, after I realized that with 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms we were still never going to make it to the park for EE if we ate breakfast out. In my opinion, if you only used the skillet or crock pot 1-2 times, it is still worth the effort to bring it.

Debbie-TN, I'm sorry, I guess I should have said where we usually stay (memory troubles lately). Anyway, we always drive down towing our trailer and stay at FW. I'm not sure that the hotels would allow a slowcooker. It seems it would be a safety issue. Sorry again.

Yes, I think the microwave is limited also but since we usually stay at the All Stars or PO I do not feel comfortable actually cooking in the room. The microwave works fine for occasional simple meals and you do not have much washing up to do afterward. There are quite a few shelf meals that you can zap for a little something for a quick meal, not to mention oatmeal for breakfast. Our favorite in room breakfast is corned beef hash, bagel and cream cheese with orange juice. I always unplug the microwave when we are done and I use paper plates when necessary so minimize the mess. Works for us as we drive down and housekeeping has never said a word. I set it up on the folding luggage rack and keep the food neatly contained in a box or even a dresser drawer.

I have read about those who drive to the Wal Mart for the huge sandwiches to save on moneyalso. I don't like to drive around a lot so that is what works for us. Different strokes for different folks.

Slightly Goofy

Since you'll have a freezer, DVCajun -

How about Stouffer's Skillet Sensations or the like? My DH and I eat the Lean Cuisine ones at least 1-2 times a week at home and decided that these would be grest DVC meals for us! Quick and easy! Add a salad and they make great full meals. Bird's Eye makes something comperable called Voila! and I'm sure there are others out there.

Now you have me thinking about an electric skillet...or bringing our George Foreman!

Best Wishes!
Kristin

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's sorta what I thought. One on trip, my daughter did take her little microwave. We stayed at Magic Castle and she called ahead of time to see if it was ok to bring. Have any of you ever taken microwaves to regular hotel rooms
either on-site or off-site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter