What day for San Diego Zoo and Seaworld?

maggieb9975

DIS Veteran
We are going to be in San Diego July 20 - 25 and need help deciding what day to do these parks. One has to be on a weekend and one can be on a Monday.

Which park would be less busy to see on a weekend? Which day is better Saturday or Sunday. Oh, and the zoo .....we are going with sandiego grayline tours so we wont be there first thing in morning, probably not until 11 am. Seaworld we are close enough to take a cab so we can be there bright and early.

Thanks for any advice!

The San Diego Zoo is only about 6 miles at most from Seaworld so is a cab an option to arrive earlier? Or were you perhaps referring to the San Diego Zoo Safari park which is 30 miles to the north in Escondido?

Both the zoo and seaworld can be somewhat crowded on summer weekends. Seaworld handles crowds better. Its mostly shows. When crowded you just show up a bit earlier to get a seat. The rapids ride can get huge lines on a sunny afternoon but no line after dark. The other rides generally do not get bad lines except maybe mid day. Seaworld really isn't a ride park so its not a big deal to miss a few of those. The zoo's tour bus can get a huge line on a busy day, so does the sky tram. The Panda exhibit can also have a bit of a wait to see.

You'll want to stay for the night time shows as well as the day time. The sea lion and the shamu shows are different at night than day and a lot of fun.

The San Diego Zoo is only about 6 miles at most from Seaworld so is a cab an option to arrive earlier? Or were you perhaps referring to the San Diego Zoo Safari park which is 30 miles to the north in Escondido?

Both the zoo and seaworld can be somewhat crowded on summer weekends. Seaworld handles crowds better. Its mostly shows. When crowded you just show up a bit earlier to get a seat. The rapids ride can get huge lines on a sunny afternoon but no line after dark. The other rides generally do not get bad lines except maybe mid day. Seaworld really isn't a ride park so its not a big deal to miss a few of those. The zoo's tour bus can get a huge line on a busy day, so does the sky tram. The Panda exhibit can also have a bit of a wait to see.

You'll want to stay for the night time shows as well as the day time. The sea lion and the shamu shows are different at night than day and a lot of fun.

Hmm, Our hotel told us a cab was $35 each way to zoo but only $15 to Seaworld?? I will call and ask them again. If they are so close the cab ride shouldnt be more than double! We are staying in Pacific Beach at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. we can do the zoo through the grayline tour for $56 dollars including entrance and transportation. So we thought we could do this tour and take a cab to seaworld. But if they are that close we can take cab and then get there early. We are also doing the Animal Safari Park with the tour company because the cabfare for it was $85 EACH WAY:scared1: with the tour company it is only $67.

So u think Seaworld would be best on the weekend? And do the zoo on Monday?

Decisions decisions.....

Hmm, Our hotel told us a cab was $35 each way to zoo but only $15 to Seaworld?? I will call and ask them again. If they are so close the cab ride shouldnt be more than double! We are staying in Pacific Beach at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. we can do the zoo through the grayline tour for $56 dollars including entrance and transportation. So we thought we could do this tour and take a cab to seaworld. But if they are that close we can take cab and then get there early. We are also doing the Animal Safari Park with the tour company because the cabfare for it was $85 EACH WAY:scared1: with the tour company it is only $67.

So u think Seaworld would be best on the weekend? And do the zoo on Monday?

I would recommend doing Sea World on Monday and the zoo on the weekend. Sea World has rides and shows that will be more crowded on a weekend. The zoo doesn't really get affected by crowds like that because you explore on your own time.

Well, cab fare to the safari park is high because it's a bazillion miles away :)

I would recommend doing Sea World on Monday and the zoo on the weekend. Sea World has rides and shows that will be more crowded on a weekend. The zoo doesn't really get affected by crowds like that because you explore on your own time.

Well, cab fare to the safari park is high because it's a bazillion miles away :)

Yes it is really far!!! I was amazed when I found out far it was!! I think we will do seaworld Monday and the zoo on Saturday.....we want to do the rides at seaworld so that makes more sense. Any difference in going to zoo on a saturday or sunday?

Yes it is really far!!! I was amazed when I found out far it was!! I think we will do seaworld Monday and the zoo on Saturday.....we want to do the rides at seaworld so that makes more sense. Any difference in going to zoo on a saturday or sunday?

Nope. Virtually the same.

The zoo doesn't really get affected by crowds like that because you explore on your own time.

True but the tour bus gets HUGE lines as does the sky tram. Also, the Panda exhibit can get a bad line. I find we can handle high crowds at Seaworld better. We just arrive to shows a little early. The only exception is Shipwreck rapids which gets a massive 60+ minute wait on busy summer days. Journey to Atlantis and Wild Artic rides are usually less than 20 minutes even on a busy day. Also, Seaworld is open later in the evening with night shows on the weekends.

For Seaworlds Sea Lion show arrive earlier than normal. This is because there is a preshow which starts 15 minutes before the posted show time.

Hmm, Our hotel told us a cab was $35 each way to zoo but only $15 to Seaworld??

I see why. Your hotel is to the north of Seaworld and the Zoo is further to the southeast. About 3.5 miles to Seaworld, 9.5 to the Zoo.

Aren't cab fares per ride and the tour bus rates per person? Might be cheaper to rent a car to get to the Safari Park. Your hotel may have rentals onsite.

True but the tour bus gets HUGE lines as does the sky tram. Also, the Panda exhibit can get a bad line.

This is a good point to mention. I always recommend doing both the bus tour and the pandas earlier in the day. If you wait until lunch time to do pandas, you can easily wait an hour or more. If you go in the morning, you very well could be alone.

True but the tour bus gets HUGE lines as does the sky tram. Also, the Panda exhibit can get a bad line. I find we can handle high crowds at Seaworld better. We just arrive to shows a little early. The only exception is Shipwreck rapids which gets a massive 60+ minute wait on busy summer days. Journey to Atlantis and Wild Artic rides are usually less than 20 minutes even on a busy day. Also, Seaworld is open later in the evening with night shows on the weekends.

For Seaworlds Sea Lion show arrive earlier than normal. This is because there is a preshow which starts 15 minutes before the posted show time.

I see why. Your hotel is to the north of Seaworld and the Zoo is further to the southeast. About 3.5 miles to Seaworld, 9.5 to the Zoo.

Aren't cab fares per ride and the tour bus rates per person? Might be cheaper to rent a car to get to the Safari Park. Your hotel may have rentals onsite.

This is a good point to mention. I always recommend doing both the bus tour and the pandas earlier in the day. If you wait until lunch time to do pandas, you can easily wait an hour or more. If you go in the morning, you very well could be alone.

Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately me renting a car is not happenning. I live in a town with 2 sets of light and rural roads all around. I can drive on the exppressway if I absoloutely have to but on a vacation in another country?? uh...no way :lmao:

We talked to hotel and she confirmed cabfare. She also said the tour bus picks us up at 7 am and we can sometimes be on bus for 2 hours !!!!! each way.......because of other pickups and it is a shortened day.So we have decided to forgo the animal safari :sad1: but that frees up Tues.

We are doing Zoo Monday and Seaworld tuesday both at opening. That way we can get as much in at both parks and not worry about weekend crowds!

This gives us what we want ......time to see the parks and also time to enjoy Pacific Beach! It will give us 2 1/2 days to swim and relax after being at Disneyland and then hit more parks before we go home on Wednesday.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter