What did you like to do with your grandparents?

I loved to sit on the porch swing with my grandpa. He would pull out his Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco and light up his pipe. It smelled so good. We would sit and swing and talk.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid. I would cook with my grandmother, and we would just hang out. My grandfather would take me into town and we would shop and stuff. We would play, school or whatever I wanted to play. We also played board games, cards etc... I am so glad I had the opportunity to spend so much time with them.

My grandma was a bar fly/tender... I used to love sitting at the end of the bar and play that video gambling machine with a Shirley Temple and bowl full of extra cherries. Everyone gave me money to play or for snacks and I had a grand old time. I had a weird upbringing 😂

What did you like to do with your grandparents?

Sadly, neither set of grandparents were into having grandkids. They were pretty strict and boring. An "exciting" day was sitting outdoors with other old people and gossiping.

Last edited:
My poppa would pick me up every Friday from elementary school and take me on a “date” to a bar/ restaurant called Flying Tigers right next to our airport (like, the runway was about 500 ft from the building). The place was themed like a WWII bunker with all sorts of plane memorabilia and had phones hanging on the wall that you could hear the real live radio transmissions from the planes to the tower. He would get a martini on the rocks and I would get a Kiddie Cocktail and we’d sit and watch the planes.

Unfortunately three of my four grandparents passed away young, so I only had a relationship with one grandmother. I can’t say we were ever doing things one might call exciting, but I enjoyed just spending time with her. It helped that she was never, ever in a bad mood, and had a big heart.

Never met any of my grandparents. Both my parents didn't know their fathers, who died in the 1920's. One grandmother died in the 1930's, the other was alive when I was born but lived in Ireland. I had an unmarried aunt who used to have us stay with her for a week in the summer, she always took us to Cedar Point.

I grew up with military parents so we didn’t live close to my grandparents. I only saw each set a handful of times in my entire life. But my paternal grandma always sent the best letters and cards.

My grandma was a bar fly/tender... I used to love sitting at the end of the bar and play that video gambling machine with a Shirley Temple and bowl full of extra cherries. Everyone gave me money to play or for snacks and I had a grand old time. I had a weird upbringing 😂

That sounds like me, only it was when my aunt was babysitting, lol. Shhh, dad still doesn’t know that his younger sister would take me to the bar as a preschooler.

I really only knew one set of grandparents as the other lived on the opposite side of the country. I remember helping my grandfather water his garden, and collecting walnuts with both of them in their orchard on foggy mornings. There was one year where during my school breaks I would spend every Thursday with grandpa. We’d run errands listening to Irish music and NPR, but we’d start our day at a small hole in the wall restaurant for breakfast; Odie’s Kitchen.

Grandpa had an army parachute toy we would play with. That was awesome. Grandma always made a great breakfast. Both Grandma and Grandpa took me antiquing a lot. With Great Grandpa, we made homemade ice cream in a wood barrel. Best ice cream on earth. There's so much more. I was lucky though, great grandparents and grandparents lived into 80s and 90s. We have one grandma still living at 91.

I only knew my maternal grandmother. She lived to be 96, and lived alone until she had a minor stroke at age 90 and my mom basically made her come live with us. We liked to go shopping together, and eat at the food court together. But some of my favorite memories of her are from amusement parks. Until she was in her mid to late 80s, she'd always take us to Six Flags once a summer. She mostly went on the calmer rides (Like the carousel, Ferris Wheel, and log flume,, but loved Thunder River, the "river rapids" ride. She wore a wig. To keep it form falling off, she would sit with one hand on top of her head the entire ride. She also let out this long, drawn out, "wwwwwhhhhhhoooooooooppppppppssssssssss!" every time we'd hit a rapid, bump, etc. We'd all be cracking up (including her) and the other people on the ride with us would just kind of look at us the first few times, but by the end, she had the entire boat/raft laughing at her "WHOOPS!" She was mostly steady on her fee in those days, but with that, by the end, she'd have trouble getting out of the boat, mostly because she was laughing so hard at herself. I'm sure the other families on our boat/raft told stories of the crazy lady who had her hand on her head the entire ride. Great memories.

There was also an older man at my church that basically anyone under the age of 40 called "Grandpa." He helped with the youth group and was well known for his kindness and his hugs. Sundays just weren't complete wihtout a hug from "Grandpa." Can't wait to see both of them again one day in heaven. He wasn't my blood grandpa, but since I never met any of my biological grandparents, he was just about the closest I had. So I count him in "grandparents."

I was very close with my grandparents :love:

Grandpa - Sunday morning walks to the small downtown to get the Sunday paper and riding on the riding mower with him as he cut the large yard.

Grandma - shopping, lunch and movies. She also took me to Hawaii and my first cruise.

My paternal grandparents were 15 minutes away and in the town where we did everything so they did watch me at their house and come out to the farm to pick potatoes or raspberries. They were pretty old and my grandma had a stroke when I was about 9 so I don't remember as much when she was well. But to answer the question I would say playing Flinch or Othello with my grandpa. He made the Othello board and chips from wood, as well as my dollhouse, doll beds, and other toys.

My maternal grandparents lived in a house near the beach, so my Mom-Mom would take us to the beach all the time. I actually hate the beach now, but as a kid it was special because we were spending time with her. Poppy was kind and funny. At the end of the Summer, he would make the trip up to the boardwalk with all of us grandkids and buy tons of tickets for us to go on rides and then we'd go to eat at a diner on the way home. Some of my best childhood memories are from those summers I spent living with them.

Love all the grandparent shares, thank you all! I was Blessed to grow up with my paternal grandparents. Grandpa sadly passed out of the blue when I was in high school so didn't get as much time with him but I will always hold dear his innate kindness and how he truly tried to care for everyone. He was also my first witness in his actions and life choices to Christ. Grandma, was beloved to me as well. I am so thankful she and grandpa are at peace now together. She was an effervescent lady who was also fiercely loyal to all she cared about. I remember going with Grandpa a few times to his podiatrist doctor appointments and then going to breakfast. I sadly don't have any specific memories of those times but knowing we did have those times means so much. Grandma, I spent much more time with and also as an adult.

I was fortunate to have my maternal and paternal grandparents live next door to one another. We were a military family and saw them in the summers when my parents allowed us to spend the entire summer with them. To this day my brothers and I talk about my two grandfathers sitting on the front porch umpiring our sandlot baseball games across the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter