What dinner would you take to a new mom???

kahluacream

Mouseketeer
Hi all you great Dis cooks out there!

A good friend of mine just had a baby, and I'd like to bring her dinner one evening this week. Something that would re-heat well would be ideal.

What would you bring? Would anyone be willing to share a recipe?

Thanks so much! :)

Eons ago when I had my children, someone brought us this one - my kids love this reheated, even though the Tater Tots aren't as crispy then. You can also take it preprared, but uncooked because it's thick.

Tater Tots Hot Dish

1 lb hamburger, browned
½ lb peas, frozen
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup or
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ c milk
Tater Tots
Mix together & cover top with tater tots. Bake at 350 for 45 min in uncovered pan.
- - - - - -

I used to take scalloped potatoes and ham. I'd put the slices of ham in a foil pan & cover with pineapple sauce to keep it moist in transit.
- - - - - -

Chicken Divan

20 oz frozen broccoli (or just nuke enough fresh to cover the bottom of the casserole)
4 c chicken, cooked & sliced or shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 c mayonnaise (low fat works)
1 tsp lemon juice
½ c sharp cheese, shredded
1 Tbl butter, melted**
½ c bread crumbs
½ c parmesan

Defrost & drain broccoli; arrange in greased 13x9 pan. Place chicken on top. Combine soup, mayo & lemon juice. Pour over chicken. Layer cheese over all, then combine crumbs, Parmesan & butter**; sprinkle over all. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 min.
[NOTE: I skip the butter & just sprinkle crumbs over cheese, shake some Parmesan over that & then spray olive oil over the crumbs. That makes them crisp a bit w/o so much fat. Also, the original recipe says do not use Miracle Whip instead of mayo...but that's all I use & we like it that way.]
- - - - - - -
Hearty soups are nice also - especially if you can send either homemade bread or nice, crusty rolls.

My neighbour brought me a potato and ham dish (I suppose like scalloped potatoes) and a pineapple cake.

I'd recommend things like lasagne, fish pie, sheperhds pie etc, that you can eat with one hand while feeding if necessary - been there!!!;)

Chicken pot pie!!! This is a wonderful dish that can be reheated well.

There's a great recipe on the CB in the What's for Dinner thread. I've used it with several neighbors who've had babies, and they love it.

Taco soup is another thing I like to take. It's easy to throw together a large pot and most people really like it.

Sautee off some sliced Itailian sausage with some green peepers and onions. Toss it together with some cooked egg noodles. Mix in 1 can of tomato paste. Put it in a disposable casserole dish, Top it with cheese ( I use mozzarella and parm mixed) Bake it at 375 until the cheese becomes gooey. Quick and easy and VERY yummy.

I recently found this on slashfood. It looks really good--and easy! It suggests using cooked chicken and sauteed mushrooms as an alternate.

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/02/10/...se-pasta-bake/

Ham and Cheese Pasta Bake
2 cups diced broccoli (or peas)
1 1/2 cups ham, diced
12-ounces fusilli, penne or rigatoni pasta
4 tbsp butter, divided
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk (low fat is fine)
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste
4-oz Fontina cheese grated or cut into strips
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350F and bring two pots, medium and large, of water to a boil. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Blanch broccoli (or peas) in the medium-sized pot of boiling water until just tender and bright green. Drain and set aside.
Cook the pasta in the large pot of boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and toss with 2 tbsp butter. Set aside.
In another medium-sized sauce pan, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Stirring constantly, whisk in the flour until smooth, then gradually whisk in the milk. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste, then remove from heat and toss with broccoli.
Layer 1/3 of pasta in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the cheese, 1/2 cup ham and 1/3 of the cream sauce. Repeat two more times, then sprinkle top of dish with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned on top.
Serves 6.

Meatloaf and potatoes?
I think anything would be welcome...that's so nice of you.:)

Yes, meatloaf is nice or maybe stew? Something I wasn't thinking about when I posted earlier...if she's nursing the baby, taking something with broccoli is probably not a good idea. As I recall, both of my kids got pretty bad gas when I ate broccoli...and believe me, once I figured that out I stayed away from it! ;) Cabbage too. The last thing you need as a new mom is an inconsolable infant! :teeth:

But I have to agree - I'm sure she'll appreciate anything you bring and it is very thoughtful of you to take her something!

you might also want to keep it lower in cheese/dairy as I've heard it can make the baby more colicky - perhaps that's why DS(13) was such a cranky baby, with me living on baked potatoes and cheese or bowls of cereal:rotfl:

When I came home from the hospital with my DD, my mom brought me a batch of goulash, stuffed peppers, and she made me spaghetti sauce and meatballs.

I agree with several other posters... she'll be happy with whatever you take! I have a "standard" meal we take when someone has a baby, surgery, etc. People that know us say to others "Ooooo, you'll love her meal! Homemade tetrazzini, rolls and this really unusual salad.":lmao:

-Chicken Tetrazzini (I bake it and take it warm)
-Salad (red leaf lettuce, feta cheese, dried cranberries, toasted pecans and Ken's Raspberry Pecan Dressing) Lettuce in a lg. zip bag w/ ind.
ingredients packed in snack bags
-Homemade yeast rolls
-some kind of dessert

My number one tip is... place the meals in those disposable aluminum containers so there are no dishes to wash or return. Many folks used those for meals for us when our twins were born it was so nice not to have to worry about returning dishes. I also double everything I'm making so my family has dinner as well :thumbsup2

Funny story... We did have one odd side dish with one of our meals someone in our church brought... collard greens! I know there are lots of folks that eat greens, but it's not what I'd call a standard side. I was afraid it would give the babies gas, but DH at least tried it (didn't care for them!)

Baked macaroni & cheese
Goulash
Chicken Divan
Sausage & Peppers & Onions with hoagie rolls
Soup - minestrone is a good one

My Mom is having surgery next week on her knee and I'm bringing over a Sour Cream Coffee Cake for her to have as breakfast, a yummy chicken/pea pod oriental pasta salad for lunch with crackers and a chicken divan with snowflake rolls for dinner. Not sure what i will do for a dessert yet;)

I often buy a rotisserie chicken, a loaf of Italian bread and then make green beans and salad (or buy a veggie tray). I then also take lemon bars made from a box.

Unless you know they are not nursing you need to avoid - broccoli, califlower, cabbage, onions, garlic, spices, chocolate, basically all the good stuff!

bnf2,
Would you mind sharing your Chicken Tetrazzini recipe? Your meal sounds wonderful!!! All these recipes sound really good, I have printed them off and I am so excited to try some new things for my family.
Thanks so much,
Carol

How about a thick hearty soup. One big pot ready to eat and some more frozen for another day. Also a big loaf of crusty bread. Rachel Ray has some wonderful stoup recipes as she calls them. Across between soup and stew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter