What do the guidelines mean to you?

I like the new list. I really like using specialty paper but it is hard to embellish it even more sometimes. Now it won't be as hard. You hostess do an amazing job! Thanks!
Jill

From another newbie...... I started swapping this last fall..... I certainly appreciate the lists and guidelines, however room for creativity is greatly appreciated. I too prefer clean lines and Martha Stewart-ish (for lack of a better term) simplicity. I have never swapped anywhere else, so personally I love our swapping community and am so glad to be in a place like this.:goodvibes :flower3:

I love swapping here - and I have to say I once looked at the UKScrappers swap threads and thought ":scared1: I'll stick with the high postage thanks!" Sometimes the two-way embellishing has been difficult, and like others there's a lot of ink under the bridge (although saying that its quite relaxing to do watching TV:rolleyes1 ). But sometimes I just want a clean neat piece where I can maybe combine bits from different sets and add my own embellishments - if I feel the need. We've all seen those mega-expensive page sets on e-bay, and DH says they just make him nauseous - for me, I want my pictures to be waht the page is about, the elements are the backdrop (although saying that a cute paper peicing can really make a page:goodvibes ). This was partly what was behind the thought for the "naked swapper" suggestions.

I love all the pieces I get, there's rarely something I can't use at all (and if there is it tends to be due to lack of pics rather than because I don't like the item). But I have had to think twice about swaps that would involve me buying a lot of extra supplies (and paying a lot of postage for the extra weight), and maybe do fewer groups. And I love skittles, but they do seem to turn up everywhere now and its making my books really bulky:rolleyes1

To sum up (if you're still with me) what my personal rules will be (and what I tell Kicky and Tora):
If it doesn't need extra, don't put it on
Pay attention to clean cutting and stiking
Keep to the sizes UNLESS you have a fantastic idea that is not quite the same (but make sure it will still fit on a 8x8 as well as larger pages)
If you really worry you're short-changing someone, put in something they can add if they like - ribbon, brads, extra paper etc.

Do any of the other sites people swap on have guidelines? Do you think we can do some research to see what other groups do?

UK Scrappers is HORRENDOUS! The rules are so scary - "if you send inferior products they will be returned", "don't use non-CM stuff in a CM-only swap or the items will be returned" I just decided not to bother.

Do any of the other sites people swap on have guidelines? Do you think we can do some research to see what other groups do?

I have done swapping in 2 places other than here- one is a yahoo group for scrapping and swaps- we have guidelines for each swap and I know that some pieces have been returned/angeled or redone when the work was not up to standards (the groups are much smaller as are the swaps as I think we have about 36 members). Normally the embellishment requirement is at least once not twice.

I have also done some swapping on the cricut boards- some swaps have requirements others have none. I have definately gotten some fabulous things and some things I have felt were not worth the effort I put in. Granted I have only done mini book swaps there- we don't have enough people to fill up alphbet books and the like as they do. Some of my things have been simpiler there as it is sometimes asked not to embellish as much is little hands will be touching the book more. Other swaps there have looked amazing but there is also a ton of drama (a post every week about someone upset and dropping out of all swaps it seems without individually contacting the hostesses- I don't think I could take that).

Rebecca

Wow...didn't know anything about this discussion until I saw this post. Here's my input...

I really like the list at the beginning of this post. When I read it, I considered it a list of suggestions...not the law. So, don't feel as if it came across that way. I was kicking myself for all the effort I've put into finding more stuff to put on my pieces when paper tearing, letter shadowing, etc. are considered an embellishment!

I, like several others, have had difficulty with the embellishing at times. There are a couple of pieces that I sent in the past that I really didn't like because of the embellishments...I felt they were too much or just looked plain tacky, but I didn't know what else to do. I always like to do at least two (but usually three) layers, but I never quite know what to do about photo mats. I keep asking myself, as I'm trying to figure out how to embellish them, how someone will get the photo on the mat with embellishments in the way and...what if they want to turn it the other direction and they can't because the embellishment won't be the right direction. Yes...I'm very anal! I like pieces to be straight and even,and I like layers, but I also like them to be simple. That being said...I absolutely love the pieces I receive from others that are heavily embellished! I just seem to be overly critical of my own pieces.

This is the only on-line place that I have swapped. I've looked at other sites, but the guidelines just seemed too rigid (and scary) to me. I don't want to swap unless others will like what I do...I just didn't feel comfortable with the other sites. I certainly don't feel that way here...you are all wonderful to swap with!

I definitely appreciate guidelines set up by each individual hostess...there are some swaps I haven't joined because I'm afraid my stuff wouldn't be good enough. It's hard because I still swap simply and it seems like most people are the opposite. I joke with a friend of mine at scrap weekends because my pages are "done" and hers are a "work of art!" I love her pages, but my mind just isn't as creative as hers.

Maybe I'll have the guts to do a completed page swap one day...maybe!

Well, I don't know what their swaps were like, having never looked at one, but a current Yahoo group just posted this to it:
I really dislike doing this but I have to put all swaps and BINGO on hold until further notice due to some problems with committments in following through.

SWAPS and BINGO WILL Not operate until the swap obligations from February have been completed. If obligations are not met by March 12th then swaps will be cancelled for the month of March. If this occurs we will run these swaps and BINGO in April.

Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.

The info bar says they have over 900 members. But how many of those are active? I'm a member, but I'm not active.
But just on the first page of condensed messages there are three for those who are leaving the group and some canceling their swap commitments and only one saying they will follow through.

Another question here- when I was putting together the list from what we said- I offered to (over time) add links- video or others- explaining how to do each of the techniques and showing examples of them. Would that be helpful to anyone or would I be wasting my time? The thought was this would be a glossary of swap embellishing - like our glossary of elements. I know when I started I didn't know what many of the embellishments were.

Rebecca

Another question here- when I was putting together the list from what we said- I offered to (over time) add links- video or others- explaining how to do each of the techniques and showing examples of them. Would that be helpful to anyone or would I be wasting my time? The thought was this would be a glossary of swap embellishing - like our glossary of elements. I know when I started I didn't know what many of the embellishments were.

Rebecca

I still think it would helpful. Especially for any one who first stumbles across us. Know what things are and how to do them is a good thing. I had to go back through all the old photos to try to figure out what a box and tag was and where to brads or eyelets. I'm pretty sure my first few elements had embellishments that infringed upon the photo or writing area, a lot. :blush:

I did say yesterday that I would work on getting a thread together showing examples of these embellishments and explaining (or linking to an explaination) of how to do them. I know when I started I didn't know how to do many of these things- I didn't even know what many of the words meant.
This would be very helpful to those who swap and to those who just scrapbook and don't swap.

Rebecca

I think that would be great - I lived at the swap glossary section for my first swap and after all this talk I have been googling different techniques to see the best way to do them.

Maybe people could split up the instructions so it doesn't all fall on you?

I think that would be great - I lived at the swap glossary section for my first swap and after all this talk I have been googling different techniques to see the best way to do them.

Maybe people could split up the instructions so it doesn't all fall on you?

If anyone has instructions they would like to share for any technique feel free to do so- otherwise I will be using online videos that I find as well as articles and adding in things of my own for techniques.

Rebecca

Rebecca --

Not a technique but maybe it fits here.
I have photos of things bagged properly and not bagged properly. It seems like a petty thing, but as a hostess, when things are not bagged up right, it just causes so much more work. Harder to sort, and a nightmare when something falls out of the bag. It is easier for me to make a mistake when it is not bagged right.

Rebecca --

Not a technique but maybe it fits here.
I have photos of things bagged properly and not bagged properly. It seems like a petty thing, but as a hostess, when things are not bagged up right, it just causes so much more work. Harder to sort, and a nightmare when something falls out of the bag. It is easier for me to make a mistake when it is not bagged right.

I will second that as a hostess of a few swaps (Ok both Susan and Hope are shaking their heads because I just sharpied my bags as fast as possible to get them out but this time I had a real reason for last minuteness:))

I never realized how important it was to put the group letter on the bag until I sorted a big swap. Now I put the group letter on the bag!

Susan - if your photos of not bagged properly are of any of my items please feel free to use them as an example and I won't be offended!

I will second that as a hostess of a few swaps (Ok both Susan and Hope are shaking their heads because I just sharpied my bags as fast as possible to get them out but this time I had a real reason for last minuteness:))

I never realized how important it was to put the group letter on the bag until I sorted a big swap. Now I put the group letter on the bag!

Susan - if your photos of not bagged properly are of any of my items please feel free to use them as an example and I won't be offended!

No! I wouldn't pick on anyone like that. I just bagged up my own stuff wrong to photograph.

Its a bit long, but I thought you might like to see how UKScrappers run their swaps

Submission Details
All swaps will be limited to 10 people. Hosts may run up to 4 groups of 10 within each swap at the discretion of the moderator in charge of the swaps forum.

You must have a positive swap rating (i.e. taken part, completed and received a positive rating for a swap hosted by another UKScrapper) BEFORE you can host a swap yourself. If you have a negative rating, you need to wait 6 months before hosting, AND have received 2 positives for swaps since the negative.

UKS members will be limited to participation in no more than 3 Swaps at any given time.

It is at the discretion of the Host, but UKS recommends specifying a minimum Marketplace/Swap rating and length of membership/post count to minimise potential problems. All swaps will all be moderated. If you wish to organize a swap you should PM Scrappybunny. The organizer must fill out the form below. No Swap received in anything other than this format will be approved! Replies to posted threads will be allowed but there will be no starter threads allowed except for through the approval process.

PLEASE NOTE: the rules for joining swaps and CJs are the same for the RAK list, minimum one month membership and 30-50 posts!

Please send only ONE swap submission per PM.

You may cut and paste this form into your post:

1. Swap Name and Description
2. Organizers UKS Name (and real name)
3. Sign up deadline
4. Dates for Swap (completion date in red please!)

Once the Swap is approved the thread will appear in the forum. The title of the thread will be the title of the swap and the host’s name. The host should then reply (in the first post in the thread) with a list of all participants as they sign up and any further information. This initial thread must be updated regularly and provide valid information.

It is the responsibility of the swap organizer to maintain a list of the Names, Member Names, addresses, and phone numbers of the swap participants. Please do not ask them to join the RAK list for this, but ask them to PM or email you the info. This information is NOT intended to be posted on the board simply maintained by the organizer.

Organizer should monitor the swap thread and edit the initial thread to update as questions arise and are answered. Once the swap is completed (and all participants have received their items) the host MUST PM ScrappyBunny and inform her the swap is complete. The thread will then be marked as complete and locked so no further posts are added.

Ratings
It is then the responsibility of the host to submit a Trader Rating for all participants. A positive rating should be given to all successful swappers and a negative rating given to anyone who failed to complete the swap. It is as the discretion of the host to submit a neutral rating if the participant had to pull out of the swap for reason given to the host before the completion deadline. ALL ratings MUST include a link to the swap thread. The host must also nominate ONE participant to provide a rating for the host. Any duplicate ratings for the same swap WILL be deleted.

Participants must put a list of the swaps/CJs you are participating in your signature and profile.

Dealing with Problems
If a participant fails to deliver on a Swap the organizer from that swap should post a negative Marketplace/Swap rating.

If there has been a legitimate reason for a delay, like a serious illness or unexpected disaster, then the participant will be responsible for notifying the swap organizer BEFORE the final deadline. If you need to pull out of a swap, you are also responsible for returning any swap items received to the organizer. If a legitimate reason has been submitted for failure to take part BEFORE the final deadline, in this instance the swap organiser should post a neutral feedback for the participant, as the swap was not completed.

With these rules we are trying to make things as easy as possible for both organizers and participants, but UKS WILL NOT get involved in swap disputes.

Hopefully a good Marketplace/Swap rating and/or length of membership and post count will mean that people who commit to swaps with no intention of fulfilling their part of the swap will only do so ONCE.

We would suggest occasional Newbie Swaps to let people establish their rating. If any organizer is willing to coordinate this sort of effort, let us know that is the intent of the swap when you post it.

No wonder people think we Brits are uptight:rolleyes1

I'm glad someone started this thread. I wish that we could just say "do your best work" but I know that would stress some people out!

I do agree that there should be some guidelines, but I also think that creative integrity may take over at some point, so I agree with the "do you love it/would you use it?" guideline.

The full page swap I did recently was a struggle for me. The Belle page looked fabulous, but I re-read all the instructions and realized that I did not allow for additional photos. It was difficult for me to add additional photo spots on that page because it looked so good the way it was!

I LOVE swapping here. This group is so friendly and kind and while I was nervous to join at first I have had so much fun sharing on these message boards. YOU are all WONDERFUL people!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter