What is your family's favorite dinner recipe?

Shagley

If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will r
I don't mean the special "once in a while" dinners, but what are the repeat meals that your family usually has for dinner at least weekly (or every two weeks)? I don't have kids, so I tend to eat out or I eat a lot of not so healthy, prepackaged things for dinner (frozen pizza, pizza rolls, macaroni & cheese, grocery store rotisserie chicken, etc). I need to start eating healthier and saving money by preparing meals at home. What are your favorite dinners that your family has quite often?

My go to quick meal is quesidillas
My family loves fish, and my son actually asks for it at least once a week.
I have a crockpot meal at least once a week.

We usually do spaghetti, tortellini or lasagna once every other week. (I do a homeade sauce with italian sausage that my family loves.) I can usually squeeze two meals out of that one. I like to have a soup and salad night once a week in the winter. I love to make homeade soups and stews! In the summer it changes to a large salad with grilled chicken, shrimp or pork along with some yummy bread. We've been known to have omlette night or a quiche for something quick and easy.
Maybe once a week a beef entree like marinated flank steak, london broil along side a baked potato and some roasted vegetables.

Tacos or breakfast :thumbsup2

We also like Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. I usually but a roast and have the butcher slice it thin (carne asada thin) grill it on the BBQ, sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions, green peppers, provalone and hoagie rolls.

The key is to lay sliced provolone over the onions after they are done grilling, put a lid on the pan and let the cheese melt. Makes for an ooey gooey sammich!

I make BBQ chicken in the crockpot EVERY week. One can of diet coke, 3 chicken breasts, and a cup of BBQ sauce. Then I just change up the sides...sometimes frozen french fries, sometimes baked chips, always a veggie, and always some fruit.

Recently, its been Stromboli. I get the wheat dough for .99 at Trader Joes. Roll it out, cut in half. In the kids, I put cheese, sun dried tomatoes, salami, pepperoni, or ham and in ours I also add spinach & mushrooms. Fold up and seal all edges. Put in aluminum foil lined baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Rub a little olive oil on top and sprinkle parm cheese & oregano on top. Bake until dough done at 350 (maybe 20 minutes?). Cut each stromboli in half. Heat up pizza sauce for 20 secs each in microwave in little dip cups. Kids love it.

We do a chicken in the crockpot with potatoes and salad every couple of weeks, also a beef roast done the same way.

BBQ pork chops with baked potatoes and a veggie are common here, we baked the chops in the winter, grill them when the weather's good.

Spaghetti or lasagna with salad and bread

Salmon cakes...DH makes these, and they're so good!

We make stir fry or fried rice quite often.

My "go to" is American chop suey. I've made it so often, though, I'm kind of tired of it. Today I made beef stew in the crockpot. Yum! I love homemade biscuits so I cheat and make them with generic Bisquick. They're much tastier than the canned ones, and take way less time than true homemade biscuits. Anything is tasty when served with biscuits! Other easy suppers are pancakes or Belgian waffles. I make a giant lasagna a couple times a year and freeze it in small containers. It's rather labor intensive to make for a weeknight (mom's recipe and it's fabulous; totally worth the effort), so it's so nice to grab a container out of the freezer and heat up. I recently dared to make steak on my little George Foreman grill. I've never liked how it came out in my oven, so I never made it at home. It was great on the GF grill! Very easy, very tasty. My other "new" favorite is small red potatoes. DH loves mashed potatoes but I hate peeling! The red ones don't need to be peeled, and with the skin on they're more nutritious. They're a bit more expensive, but they're cheaper than eating dinner out!

The recipes I make most often are meatloaf, some sort of pasta with meatballs and sausage and a new favorite is Chicken ala King (I make a white sauce with milk and broth, thicken it and add chicken, sauteed onions and peppers and peas) and serve over rice.

Another favorite is sweet and sour chicken breast made with 1 bottle red french/catalina dressing, 1 jar apricot preserves and 1 packet onion soup mix. Baked in the over for 50 minutes at 350.

ETA: Pot roast in the crock is another one I make often...add carrots and potatoes and its a meal.

my kid could eat chicken every night. I will either grill it, rotisserie or bake it- with rice/potatoes and a veggie.. along with spaghetti. those are dinner meals we cook weekly....

Mine varies from winter to summer but this is pretty typical:

Winter:

crock pot: pork tenderloin, turkey tenderloin, green chile chicken with rice, turkey italian sausage, chili-- I use 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground turkey, pot roast, shredded beef sandwiches

rotisserie chicken

soup--wedding or chicken noodle--made with the rest of the rotisserie chicken, clam chowder, stuffed pepper soup, vegetable soup

marinated flank steak
marinated salmon

salmon burgers

tacos

spaghetti or cheese tortellini/ravioli

breakfast for dinner--scrambled eggs or over easy eggs with muffins or bagels or pancakes. We also have either breakfast sausage or turkey bacon

Summer:

grilled chicken--usually marinated
marinated salmon
marinated flank steak
hot dogs and/or hamburgers
salmon burgers
rotisserie chicken
grilled shrimp
tacos--we do ground beef/ground turkey or fish or shredded beef or chicken or shrimp--depends on what I have

I don't use the crock pot as much in the summer and don't do as many soups/breads and don't do breakfast as often either. We tend to use the grill a lot.

When I do breakfast for dinner we usually just have fruit with it but with all other meals we will generally have a plate of cut up vegetables--peppers, cukes, grape tomatoes, carrots etc (kids don't like lettuce), a cooked vegetable or sometimes two in the summer and if my husband is not traveling some sort of statch--lipton side of noodles or rice or some type of potato

We order pizza or eat out usually once every week or two and usually have 1 leftover night per week--depends on what we had sometimes we don't have a whole lot of leftovers and a frequently we eat them for lunch.

The recipes I make most often are meatloaf, some sort of pasta with meatballs and sausage and a new favorite is Chicken ala King (I make a white sauce with milk and broth, thicken it and add chicken, sauteed onions and peppers and peas) and serve over rice.

Another favorite is sweet and sour chicken breast made with 1 bottle red french/catalina dressing, 1 jar apricot preserves and 1 packet onion soup mix. Baked in the over for 50 minutes at 350.

ETA: Pot roast in the crock is another one I make often...add carrots and potatoes and its a meal.

Sweet and Sour Ckn sounds wonderful! I think I'll make that tomorrow, but in my Staub!

My quick & easy go to dinners :

Cola Chicken
1 jar salsa (we use medium)
1 can DIET coke
2-4 chicken breasts

throw it all in a sauce pan, simmer for 30ish minutes or until chicken is done (i use boneless tenderloins, they cook quicker) and then turn up the heat to med/high to cook down into a sauce. Be careful, it splatters.

a variation of this recipe is to use 1 cup of Ketchup instead of salsa, with ketchup it comes out like a BBQ sauce

I bet if you google cola chicken, you will find a million variations actually, its an old weight watcher recipe, its delish!

Honestly???? The real truth???? I am a great cook. Used to work for a French Chef for many years. DD came home from school and I asked her what she wanted and got her usual response....."gourmet supper". What is gourmet supper????? Toasted cheese sammies and tomato soup with crackers! lol I can make her anything but she loves it! DH loves a fabulous burger or my lasagna with homemade sauce. For me it is scalloped potatoes with the ham cooked right into it. DS likes that as well or chicken and biscuits with gravy....that is an upstate NY thing so I don't know how many people will recognize that one.

My quick & easy go to dinners :

Cola Chicken
1 jar salsa (we use medium)
1 can DIET coke
2-4 chicken breasts

throw it all in a sauce pan, simmer for 30ish minutes or until chicken is done (i use boneless tenderloins, they cook quicker) and then turn up the heat to med/high to cook down into a sauce. Be careful, it splatters.

a variation of this recipe is to use 1 cup of Ketchup instead of salsa, with ketchup it comes out like a BBQ sauce

I bet if you google cola chicken, you will find a million variations actually, its an old weight watcher recipe, its delish!

are you serious????? I've never heard of this but of course will have to try it. My family says I must have feathers growing because I eat so much chicken. This might be the way to get them to eat more of it~!!!!!! lol

Honestly???? The real truth???? I am a great cook. Used to work for a French Chef for many years. DD came home from school and I asked her what she wanted and got her usual response....."gourmet supper". What is gourmet supper????? Toasted cheese sammies and tomato soup with crackers!

:goodvibes This made me laugh because the favorite meals in my house are Annie's mac & cheese with cut up hotdogs and a side of broccoli and "breakfast for supper". The current favorite breakfast item is homemade oatmeal pancakes with either bananas or diced apples added in.

:goodvibes This made me laugh because the favorite meals in my house are Annie's mac & cheese with cut up hotdogs and a side of broccoli and "breakfast for supper". The current favorite breakfast item is homemade oatmeal pancakes with either bananas or diced apples added in.

Loving it!!!!! lol I can eat b'fast anytime and be very very happy! lol Try the Fiber One pancake mix, put your add ins into it.....you will feel better after feeding your family and they will get it all out of their system! lol

Loving it!!!!! lol I can eat b'fast anytime and be very very happy! lol Try the Fiber One pancake mix, put your add ins into it.....you will feel better after feeding your family and they will get it all out of their system! lol

Thanks:) I'll have to try the Fiber One mix. I have a great recipe that uses whole wheat flour and oatmeal, plus, I add ground flax seed (honestly, they are really yummy...even my 4 yo loves em!)---but the Fiber One would be quicker to make, for sure.:thumbsup2

Beef roast with carrots taters onions an mushrooms cooked with it pour a can or 2 of cream of mushroom soup over it too then with the leftovers i cut up the roast put that in bottom of pan pour the veggies an broth (gravy) over the top an heat it up another night for beef stew. side salad an maybe some rolls or biscuits on the side.

Chili is always a fav here in the winter

Beans an ham with cornbread

meatloaf mashed taters couple of veggies

grilled chicken breast inside in winter out on grill summer with baked tater an a veggie or 2

Sloppy joes baked french fries or mac & cheese an veggie or 2

Tacos either beef or chicken spanish rice an mexican corn

WE LOVE breakfast for supper sausage eggs over easy biscuits an gravy OR biscuits with homemade black raspberry jam

bacon an egg sandwiches

pork chops mashed taters gravy an biscuits

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter