What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

Lots of great tips on this thread. :woohoo:

I've already bought about 8 million glow sticks at Target. Which might not sound odd until I mention that I'm not traveling with any kids. :laughing:

The only out of the ordinary thing I plan to do is take my own pillows by using the vacuum space bags. I've saved the old pillows from last time we replaced them, and will just leave them there when we leave.

1. Ones and fives for tipping bell services, shuttle drivers, etc.
2. Health insurance & perscription cards
3. Inflatable pool float (only for baby/toddler)
4. Swim goggles
5. Swim diapers
6. Moisture wicking clothing
7. Kool-ties (summer)
8. Disposable water proof camera
9. A tote bag for loose stroller items (so you don't have to spend five min emptying your stroller to fold it up for the bus)
10. Mommy hook for stroller handle- holds bags, as well as refillable mugs

I started carrying ziploc baggies during DD first trip - she was 3 and never finished everything on meal plan. So as soon as we got her food, I put the veggies/fruit in the baggies and had her eat the non-portable part of her meal. Because you all know children, 5 minutes after you walk away from the restaurant where they weren't hungry, they are magically starving!:confused:
We also use the baggies for the washcloth that we soaked overnight in the icebucket. When the ice melts it makes the cloth supercold, wring it out a little and put in the bag - when the child (DD or DH) gets hot, wipe their face or neck or arms so they stop!:rotfl2:

We have also always taken along the flushable wipes (even before DD) because the TP is not the same as home.:confused3

My DH likes to take along Rice Krispy treats and granola bars for snacks when nowhere has food. :rotfl2:

Every trip we also go for the cheaper rain ponchos from the local dollar store and the glow necklaces. (Did I mention he bought the glow sticks over the summer WAY before we had any plans of going next year??)

The last weird thing HE packs is hand sanitizer (lots of little bottles that fit in his pockets) to be used on toilet seats. He has a major phobia of anyone in the family using a public seat - you just never know about the last person using it!:scared1:

Remember to take your own bandaids and cleaning foam for those blisters that always form.

Tide Travel Sink Packets

http://www.amazon.com/Tide-Travel-Sink-Packets-3-Count/dp/B000GCS004/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

I use them to wash out our t-shirts and my DD's pants (b/c they're smaller) the first few nights of our trip. It takes just a few moments and then I hang the clothes to dry. It may take a day or two to dry but we're not planning to wear the first days' clothes again until near the end of our trip anyway.

I don't want to spend part of our vacation time doing laundry in the laundromat and I don't have the room to pack a separate outfit for each day.

Helen

The post about plastic lids being used for ice cream bars and such is BRILLLIANT!!! Thanks for sharing!

My kids are older now, but when they were little, they were very shy of strangers...even if they were Disney CMs!

so I attached a disney luggage tag to each of their backpacks and wrote on it, "I'm lost. Please call my Dad at xxx-xxx-xxxx". They were instructed if they were lost to give this tag to someone with a nametag.

I did not put their name on it or any hotel information that might be dangerous if in the wrong hands. Thankfully, we never had to use them, but my son who suffered from elective mutism and an anxiety disorder felt much more secure.

Great ideas everyone!

Some of my must-haves are: flashlight (checking for bedbugs), anti-frizz hairspray, wipes, hand sanitizer, ziplocs, drawstring backpack (can easily hang on the back of an umbrella stroller,then swing around to the front to keep it from tipping over when no one is seated).

Also a tip that we used when not staying in a suite/villa: rather than having to pack a water bottle, we bought vitamin waters for our first drink. We used the the crystal lite-type packets and could refill the vitamin water bottles each day with ice cubes since the bottle necks are wide enough.

I love the idea of the drink lids on the ice cream bar sticks. Anyone know if the thicker plastic ones that you see on kid's drinks in some table service restaurants will work? We can start saving them up for our trip in a few months. They are free and will take up very little space. :thumbsup2

Here are a couple of more tips that I haven't yet seen:

-a "breakfast shirt"...basically an old t-shirt that is not longer seen in public, but can be slipped over freshly dressed children while eating breakfast in the room. Avoids the frustration of a spill on a shirt that has been worn for 45 seconds.

- I make my own Palmolive wipes, because I can't get them where I live. Cut up a cellulose sponge into several pieces then place the pieces on a plate covered in dish soap. Remove the pieces after an hour or so and let them dry on another surface. Place them in a ziploc and then you have several soaped up sponges to wash out mugs.

-a collapsable box, about the the size of a kids shoebox. At naptime and at the end of the day we put our KTTW cards, cameras, cellphones etc.. in this box. No mad rushing to find these items and it keeps out of reach and sight of curious little hands.

On a side note, it's been awhile since I cruised the tips forums and I'm surprised to see that the tone has changed somewhat. I don't recall people being so judgmental and critical. I know it's just a minority of generally negative posters, but it does set a tone for new members. We're all here to help each other out on our mission to make the most of the happiest place on earth. If we wanted such obvious criticism, wouldn't we just ask our family members for advice??? Seems like some people have a very good view from being so high up on their soapboxes. Now I'll step off my soapbox.

As far as bags go... THE BEST PARK BAG EVER.. an oakley icon bag. theyre really rather pricey but they have a self healing fabric and are amazingly roomy but can be stored in really tight spaces!

thanks for the tip on how to keep the AC running during the day - or at least the fan...for the poster who gave step by step instructions on how to override it - thank you! I hope I can remember how to do it but as a back up I'm going to bring a couple unblown ones with me and use my own hot air to fill them - then tape them to the top of the AC. that way they'll flutter all day and keep the room cool.

Or for the crafty folk out there - take an old 2-liter bottle and cut the bottom out. blow a couple balloons up small enough to fit inside the tube of the bottle and place the whole thing on top of the AC if it's that sort of model. then it's like having your own version of a lava lamp :rotfl2:

I am packing a plastic waterproof cell phone case! With my luck, I'd drop my phone in the toilet when I go to put my daughter on! It will store my Key Card & Photopass! It will be great by the pool, too!!

dh DID drop his!!! driving down to WDW in March, he dropped his new smart phone in a Cracker Barrel toilet... NOT FUN! :confused3

great tips, im excited to still have 6 months to slowly get stuff.. .so dh doesnt think im going overboard, lol :)

This is a great thread - I always review prior to a trip. So glad it doesn't "disappear" :goodvibes

Here are a couple of more tips that I haven't yet seen:

-a "breakfast shirt"...basically an old t-shirt that is not longer seen in public, but can be slipped over freshly dressed children while eating breakfast in the room. Avoids the frustration of a spill on a shirt that has been worn for 45 seconds. .

lol I feel your pain!!! Never had this too much with my girls, but my little guy -- my goodness .... here's my two cents ...

when in a restaurant with my DS, and he won't keep a napkin up (like a bib) in a pinch we have been known to take his shirt off, turn it inside-out and reverse it then put if back on for the meal -- this way if he did drip,drabble or spill something, when we reverse and turn it back inside-out, and put it on, it's pretty good== and because we reversed it, anything that might have soaked thru, is now on the back :rotfl: (of course, we wipe it down as best as possible before putting it back on!)

Didn't work so well with a pasta meal one day, but it definately could have been worse!!! Its perfect for ketchup, chocolate milk drippings, that kind of stuff!! Again, not ideal, but perfect in a pinch!!

I also bring an "about town blanket" from Thirty-One Gifts .. its perfect for parades !!!!

You can tote it around all day (hook it right to the stroller or backpack) with its handle and velcro fasteners. Nylon on one side, fleece on the other!! Don't know if I'm allowed to post the link where to purchase, if you're interested you can inbox me and I'll forward you the link.

Before our trip, I went online and ordered kid "dog tags" for DD and DS (both under 4) to clip on them (usually on their pants) that listed our cell phone numbers. One thing that I have but hope to NEVER need. Another thing I read that I haven't done yet is to take a digital picture of the kids before you leave the room that will show them in the clothes they are wearing for the day. Again, hopefully you'll never need it - but it can also make a cute scrapbook photo... getting ready to leave for our day of fun! :)

Reactions: ffw
This will be our first trip with our kids so I'm so glad I found this thread. I've made a VERY long list.
I've bought some small disney princess figurines, jewelry, notepads, etc. I plan to keep them hidden in our backpack for when the kids want a souvenir. I'll be able to whip out something Disney that I bought on sale. We'll still do souvenir shopping but I'm hoping that this will satisfy some of their wants. It will give them something to do in lines too.

Not sure if this idea has already been mentioned (I'm slowly making my way through all the pages!) ... but when I took my daughter to DL for the day (or whenever we go somewhere with a big crowd) I ordered those plastic bracelets online and had my cell number put on them. She can wear them on her ankle or wrist and that way, she can show a CM or someone else her parents cell number if she's lost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter