What Kind of "Beans" for Calico/Cowboy Bean Dish?

DianaPrincessofWales

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to clean out some canned goods from the pantry and decided I needed to use up some canned beans. I have northern, chili and red beans. Well I threw them in the crock pot to make calico beans and it doesn't look quite right. What kind would you suggest? What would be the difference in taste? I think next time I'll try pork and beans, butter and chili beans. My recipe says any of these are acceptable in this dish? :confused3 Anyone a bean expert? Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure my recipe calls for butter beans, kidney beans and pork & beans. I'm definitely not a bean expert...I think they're all pretty much the same. :confused3 DH, however, insists kidney beans are different & insists that I use great northern for everything. He says the kidney beans have tough skin. :rolleyes:

The only ones I think are really different are black beans - and that's very subtle. Oh - and of course butter beans & limas are much starchier IMHO.

I think what you have sounds fine though.

I've seen recipes using Baked beans, kidney and lima beans. Some also add butter beans to the mix.

I have a calico bean recipe that I use all the time. It has butter, baby lima, northern, kidney and pork 'n beans.

What are chili beans?

I honestly just add any beans that the family likes. I don't follow a recipe. We like pork and beans, great northern, black beans, and kidney beans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter