What kind of fish is at Yorkshire County?

I’m from Yorkshire, 99% of people in Yorkshire wouldn’t have a clue what Talapia is, as it’s rarely available in the U.K. The real deal is always cod or haddock. In fact haddock is the preferred choice in Yorkshire. So if it’s Tilapia at Yorkshire County Fish and Chips, it’s far from authentic.

If you Americans are ever around our parts, for example visiting the medieval City of York or wonderful City of Leeds, have a trip over to Whitby- where Bram Stoker wrote and set Dracula, medieval gothic abbey on a cliff, Captain Cook set sail to discover the New World, and most importantly, the best fish and chips in the world. You have to come north to Yorkshire to get the best fish and chips in the U.K., like the best served beer, although there are good ones dotted around all over the UK. I assume Disney knew this, which is why they called it Yorkshire County fish shop, but if they are using tilapia (which I like) they are besmirching our name.

Agreed! This is my problem also I lived in Harrogate and worked in Leeds Bradford. Many was the time I got home in the pitch dark from work on Friday and waited in the rain in a line around the corner at the chippy. There would have been a revolt if tilapia came out of that place and rightly so. Also great use of the word besmirch. Maybe I'll ask them for a chip butty at the Yorkshire County. ;)

Agreed! This is my problem also I lived in Harrogate and worked in Leeds Bradford. Many was the time I got home in the pitch dark from work on Friday and waited in the rain in a line around the corner at the chippy. There would have been a revolt if tilapia came out of that place and rightly so. Also great use of the word besmirch. Maybe I'll ask them for a chip butty at the Yorkshire County. ;)
Good stuff- were you working at the airport? What a coincidence! You'll also be aware the amount of cancelled flights they have there... grrr..

Lol! My mom's side of the family all lives in Harrogate. I always consider it my hometown. The only fish I actually will eat is true English style fish & chips. Will eat cod or haddock. Don't like any other fish so hope it hasn't changed. We always make a point of going to Yorkshire's but may have to change the plan if it is talapia. On the plus side we live on the border with Canada and have a wonderful chippy there that we go to.

Good stuff- were you working at the airport? What a coincidence! You'll also be aware the amount of cancelled flights they have there... grrr..

No I was teaching. We lived in H'gate but I taught all over North and West Yorkshire supply teaching. A lot in Leeds and Bradford. :)

Lol! My mom's side of the family all lives in Harrogate. I always consider it my hometown. . .On the plus side we live on the border with Canada and have a wonderful chippy there that we go to.
I wonder if it is near where we live...we are just the other side of the border from Pt. Huron Michigan. There are a couple of decent places close to us thankfully. :)

I wonder if it is near where we live...we are just the other side of the border from Pt. Huron Michigan. There are a couple of decent places close to us thankfully. :)

Sounds like we are neighbors. We live in Fort Gratiot (Port Huron). We go to Sarnia for our fish & chips (The Wharfe) and our English food fix from the British Store across the street.

Sounds like we are neighbors. We live in Fort Gratiot (Port Huron). We go to Sarnia for our fish & chips (The Wharfe) and our English food fix from the British Store across the street.

I go to Ft. Gratiot to go to Kohls and eat at Cracker Barrel. I will wave to you from the bridge next time!

No I was teaching. We lived in H'gate but I taught all over North and West Yorkshire supply teaching. A lot in Leeds and Bradford. :)
Shame you had to go to Bradford, our US and Canadian readers should be advised to avoid Bradford, unless you go for either a good curry, or the pantomime (the only 2 reasons I go near the place).
Harrogate is very nice. I’ve been to a good chippy in Harrogate.

Going back to the OP question. It used to be Cod and now it supposedly is Tilipia (not a fan of Tilipia). Tried to have it during the DVC Midnight Madness, but the line was too long and didn't get to try it. Reports have been its not as good as it used to be.

We see this constantly, prices going up, quality going down. I try to eat as little as possible at Disney now. The quality is simply not there for the prices paid, even taking into account it’s in WDW. If you complain, you’ll get some eco excuse about sustainable fishing I expect, nothing to do with cost cutting.

Is pollock not a thing in the us? That seems to be the preferred alternative for cheap fish in the uk.. i prefer cod but im from the south and haddock is rarely offered.

Near my uni they had a battered mackarel which was incredible and in the iow ventor haven have crab and chips which are out of this world! So not a purist but talapia sounds grim! What about the raglan road qs is that cod?

Is pollock not a thing in the us? That seems to be the preferred alternative for cheap fish in the uk.. i prefer cod but im from the south and haddock is rarely offered.

Near my uni they had a battered mackarel which was incredible and in the iow ventor haven have crab and chips which are out of this world! So not a purist but talapia sounds grim! What about the raglan road qs is that cod?
Tilapia is a farmed fish, whereas Pollock is still caught in the sea. Most tilapia in US is imported from China, far east and South/ Central America. So in summary, it's a lot cheaper than Pollock. From a quick Google it seems it's about 4 times cheaper than Cod, and about half the price of Pollock.
Going from Cod to Tilapia is a massive downgrade in cost, massive upgrade in profit, if it's true.

I have never noticed a difference in taste between fish. It all tastes like fish to me. Blech.

Pollock is the primary fish used by the fast food restaurants in the US, including Long John Silver‘s and McDonald’s.

This.

I travel to the UK for work pretty regularly, and my favorite chippy has three items on their menu – fish and chips, haddock and chips, pollock and chips. The fish and chips doesn’t say cod and chips, because everyone knows it’s cod. I never found the fish and chips at the Yorkshire fish shop all that wonderful. Seems similar to Long John Silver’s to me, and they primarily use pollock.
What what what?!?
No plaice or or or skate and chips offered? Scandalous:teleport:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter