What kind of " normal "will return to the parks first?

Apeters430

Mouseketeer
For starters let me say I know FL is no where near out of the woods with COVID cases. I have noticed a drastic and consistent decline in numbers each day recently. I am glad to see FL is going in that direction.
Question. What do you think WDW next step to "normal" will be? Opening of more resorts? Capacity increase? Opening more restaurants? Resuming AP purchases? Characters or shows?

I would honestly prefer extended hours before anything else. Maybe even allowing one park hop a day. It would be nice to actually enjoy and spend some time in the parks with the holiday decorations and lights after 6pm.

yea, totally agree. We are big park hoppers. I would be happy if we could hop even once a day.
We are Disneylanders, not Disneyworlders, but during our only visit to WDW in talking to folks, it seemed like Park Hopping wasn't as popular there as at DL. Of course the distance between the parks is an issue in Florida. Last trip to DL we stayed at the Grand Californian. Went to our room to get into our "get wet" clothing, had Fast Passes for Splash Mountain in DL and Grizzly River Run in California Adventure. We walked into DL, did Splash Mountain, walked to CA and did Grizzly River Run, and were back in our room changing into dry clothing in 40 minutes.

We are Disneylanders, not Disneyworlders, but during our only visit to WDW in talking to folks, it seemed like Park Hopping wasn't as popular there as at DL. Of course the distance between the parks is an issue in Florida. Last trip to DL we stayed at the Grand Californian. Went to our room to get into our "get wet" clothing, had Fast Passes for Splash Mountain in DL and Grizzly River Run in California Adventure. We walked into DL, did Splash Mountain, walked to CA and did Grizzly River Run, and were back in our room changing into dry clothing in 40 minutes.
I can see that. We have a little guy so we usually hit a park early then break mid day at resort and hit another park for dinner and night time. It totally depends how often you go or time of year due to park hours. If we are visiting more frequently we might stick to one park a day and not head out so early.

This is my guess as to the order of things coming back in a normal way:

1. Park Hopping
2. Dining at 100% occupancy
3. Character Meals
4. Live shows with full audiences
5. Normal queues and FP (with no distancing markers in use)
6. Fireworks and parades
7. No more masks

I think items 1-6 will come back BUT masks will still be required

I see mask requirements lifted as the last step in the return to normalcy.

My guess, in this order;
  1. Increase of park capacities
  2. increase of ride capacities
  3. Relaxation of mask requirement OUTSIDE
  4. park hopping / no more park reservations (though I don't park hop and kinda like the park reservations - keeps the crowd size predictable all day long)
  5. opening of water parks
  6. Normal ques (though I do hope the added personal space becomes a full-time thing. I like strangers fine, just don't want you 2 feet from me all day long)
  7. Full audiences in the theaters
  8. fireworks and parades
  9. no more masks indoors
Honestly, if you are delaying your trip based solely on how miserable you will be wearing masks, you are making a big mistake. The masks really aren't that big of a deal. Bring at least one extra because they do get uncomfortable when they get wet. We had record heat the week we were there and I changed my mask once each day. It was really nice taking it off at the end of the day, but did not spoil our trip at all. Not only that, but, IMHO, they are going to be required for quite some time. The only reason I would delay a trip is if they increase the park capacity such that they have normal, 1.5-2 hour wait times and still have reduced ride capacities. Reason being, the lines will go back down dramatically once the ride capacities go back to normal - might as well wait.

This is my guess as to the order of things coming back in a normal way:

1. Park Hopping
2. Dining at 100% occupancy
3. Character Meals
4. Live shows with full audiences
5. Normal queues and FP (with no distancing markers in use)
6. Fireworks and parades
7. No more masks

I think items 1-6 will come back BUT masks will still be required

I see mask requirements lifted as the last step in the return to normalcy.
Totally agree. I honestly think mask will be around till next fall. Im not even convinced Disney would lift the mandate right away with a vaccine. Im throwing my mask in the air like a graduation cap the day we do not have to wear them anymore. "WE DID IT!!" lol

Depends. Keep in mind Disney is also short on money. They lost so much money during the closure, and aren't getting attendance near of what they hoped they would get. Fantasmic and epcot forever can be done with social distancing, but are costly. They can extend park hours, but then they have to spend more to staff and operate the theme parks. The orange county health officer hinted at having the mask mandate in effect potentially until a vaccine or springtime ish, but obviously Disney can set their own rules re: masks if they feel necessary.

At the end of the day, a week feels like an eternity with the coronavirus, and so so so much can change in a few days, weeks, or months. A trip next summer is an eternity away lol Since posts on this thread are pure speculation, it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Totally agree. I honestly think mask will be around till next fall. Im not even convinced Disney would lift the mandate right away with a vaccine. Im throwing my mask in the air like a graduation cap the day we do not have to wear them anymore. "WE DID IT!!" lol
I don't think we can even comprehend the feeling we will have when Covid 19 no longer rules our lives.

I think it will be the most exhilarating feeling we have ever felt.

Not park-hopping since they’re all at IOA, but I loved the times we’ve walked back to our Universal resort, changed to our wet gear, then returned and did the water rides over and over (I love EPs)! Then we walk back to the resort, dip in the pool, change again, and hit the parks for more rides.

Have any character cast members reappeared yet in WDW? Specifically those who aren't in the cartoon suits, like Snow White, Peter Pan, etc. I'm curious if they're coming back to work, donned in PPE of course, or if Disney is keeping them on hold due to budget constraints. I know Disneyland in particular had many talented ones which I'm hoping will return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter