What should Grandma do??

skeeterfoot

Mouseketeer
I am bringing my daughter, three year old grandson and his 6 year old brother to WDW June 1st for 3 nights. On the docket will be park time, naps, pool/resort time and character meals. Bed time is 8 pm per mom. Should I choose a two bedroom Kidiani with its great play and pool area or 1 BR BLT with its proximity to MK and Character meals?

While you'd have more space at Kidani (and my grandkids loved the seeing the animals) if you are using Disney transportation I think it would be much easier to stay at BLT.

I would book a 2 bedroom as it gives 3 real beds vs only 1 in the BLT 1 bedroom

However, AK is one of the farthest from MK, especially BLT

I would just wake up really early and be at MK at ropedrop and I am sure you will look forward to leaving at 7pm or earlier.

DW and I have taken DGS (2) to both resorts.
He would of stayed all day at the Kidani pool/play area if we did not want to do something different. Loved looking at the animals.
The splash pad area at BLT was fun for him but more running around than having fun at the different options at AKL. He loved watching the trains (monorail) pass by the window and yelling train ever time one came by.
It basicly depends on you and your little ones. What do you want to get the most of, do you want to spend time on the busses to the parks, and are you comfortable with them at the taller BLT?

I'd say BLT, especially if the kids like fireworks. You could convince mom to let them stay up 1 night and go up to TOTWL to watch from up there, then down to bed. If staying at AKV, you'd have a long bus trip back. Just an idea. Also, if they are the type of kids who are going to love MK, you'd have an easy time doing naps and maybe going back for a ride or two in the late afternoon before bedding down for the night.

I would go for more room, especially if kids are going to bed early. Kidani. One adult could go for the Cultural talks, so something to do at night.

Of course, the fireworks idea is good too, but still, I would choose Kidani.

I would most definately choose the 2 bedrooms.
Think about the evenings when the kids are in bed. You will have your own
LR and still bedroom.
I would not book a one bedroom for four people.
Let us know what you decide.

Another vote for the 2BR at Kidani. The bus ride to MK is really not that bad. My DS7 has always loved riding the Disney buses, so he doesn't mind the ride. The pool and splash play area are great for the two kids. Plus, you will have the animals! The full length balcony at Kidani is great, compared to the small balcony at BLT.

My son always did naps in the stroller at the park, so we never had to deal with going back to the room for a nap. Unless you are taking your own stroller, you may want to look into renting from one of the local stroller rental companies. We have used Magic Stroller and Kingdom Stroller in the past. Both provided excellent service and comparable pricing.

Depending on how long you will be there, you could consider 2-3 nights at BLT in a 1BR and then switching to Kidani in a 2BR for the remainder of the stay. Split stays have their drawbacks, but it would be a way to be close to MK for a few days and then get the larger room for the rest of the stay. Who knows, with a split stay, perhaps you have enough points to squeak out a 2BR at both.

The nice thing about the BLT plan is that if you can talk mom into it, the kids could watch fireworks one night in their jammies ready for bed from somewhere in the resort. It would change their bedtime, but at AKL that would mean not getting to bed until well after 10. One the other hand, if mom is not going to budge on the bedtimes, you won't be distracted by the noise when you are trying to get them down.

We took our almost 4 yr old GS, his Aunt and we stayed (3 adults 1 child) in a studio...wasn't sure how it would work at nap and bedtime. WOW, he was a trooper...out like a light within 60 seconds...with the lights and TV on. Granted, not too many 8pm nights, but 9 pm for sure....we stayed at BCV (no splash pad, but the neat sand pool) and the last night at BLT TPV..what a great ending, although the fireworks noise bothered him...we'll take headsets next year. They will be happy wherever you stay. But need to not watch the clock....we did movies on the beach, a late night swim...he loved it...roasting marshmallows too! All are normally around 8 pm.

Given the ages of the kiddos....GO FOR THE 2 BR! The pool will be their favorite part anyway.

My now 10 and 9 year-old-girls have been going with us since they were 2.5 and 1-year-old respectively. It was SPACE in the units that saved our sanity in their younger years.

And to this day, the POOL is still the biggest hit no matter where we stay...well, that and Rock-N-Roller Coaster now that they're tall enough to ride it. :thumbsup2

My girls LOVED AKL in May and just chose it for the 2nd time over the other resorts for our December trip (as you can see from the signature, we've stayed at several different resorts with them in tow).

Now that they're older, the 1BR is more doable, but if my mom and/or dad come along, we choose the 2BR EVERY TIME!

When your grandsons look at the photos of each, which resort do they say they would prefer?

Honestly, you really could not go wrong at either resort! As much as I love AK, I might have a slight preference for BLT, mostly because it is sooo accessible to the MK, and your trip is short enough that transport times will matter somewhat.
Also, for us the one-bedroom would be plenty big enough. Kids would crash in the bedroom while adults could visit and relax in the living area, then either adult could sleep with the kids -- it is a king size bed -- and other adult could sleep in living room. If separate beds are a necessity, then obviously the two bedroom would be the way to go.

Again, either plan would be a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter