• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What should I cancel?

What should I cancel?

• Kona Cafe (bfst)

• Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic Package (dinner)

• Tusker House (bfst)

• Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner)

• Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)

• 1900 Park Fare (dinner)

• Cape May Clam Bake (dinner)

Results are only viewable after voting.

stephmarty

Spending my Kids' Inheritance on Disney
OK. I need some help thinning this out. We're on DDP, but willing to pay OOP for some meals where we go over our allowance. Here's what we have booked, but some are ones I know I want to keep. I'll include the restaurants I'm possibly willing to part with in the poll. Very interested to see what the experts would cancel. Thanks, guys!

Sat: Kona (bfst); Hollywood & Vince Fantasmic Pkg (dinner)
Sun: Tusker House (bfst); Boma (dinner)
Mon: Le Cellier (dinner)
Tue: Crystal Palace (bfst); 'Ohana (dinner)
Wed: Whispering Canyon (dinner) or Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
Thr: Chef Mickey's (bfst); 1900 Park Fare (dinner) or Cape May (dinner)
Fri: Cinderella's Royal Table (dinner)
Sat: 'Ohana (bfst)

OK. I need some help thinning this out. We're on DDP, but willing to pay OOP for some meals where we go over our allowance. Here's what we have booked, but some are ones I know I want to keep. I'll include the restaurants I'm possibly willing to part with in the poll. Very interested to see what the experts would cancel. Thanks, guys!

I'm anxious to see some of the replies you get from real experts. We've been to only some of the ones you've chosen - with mixed reactions from family. I'll talk about only the ones we've been to:

Tusker House - I liked it - the others (son in law hated it, daughter and granddaughter were ok with it). It was very, very crowded. Tables are tight and even though they tell you that there are no lines for food, just try cutting in front of someone to get at what they are standing in front of while waiting for the 'line' to move.

Le Cellier - Don't give this up! This is a great, great place and is surprisingly enough not a signature (2 credit place). This is a must for us every time (when we can get it). Even the 8 year old loves it.

Liberty Tree Tavern - we went here during a Halloween party visit - it was empty but the service was worse than awful. He took our order, and brought the food and we never saw him again until he brought the check. The food was family style - and OK. We'd probably go again - maybe

CRT - we went here for both breakfast and dinner. This is probably blasphemy here but it just wasn't worth the price. Even our 8 year wasn't all that thrilled. We didn't really like the food and yes, it is 'the castle' but for the price, well, we left saying we were happy we tried it - once. We won't go back unless we're bringing along another princess who 'needs' to eat in the castle.

O'Hana's - we like this place for breakfast. Food is good, plentiful and the atmosphere is fun.

HOpe that helps.

We've eaten in some of the others you mentioned (Crystal Palace for dinner, Chef MIckey's for dinner, 1900 Park Fare is a fav breakfast place for us) but not for the meals you've chosen.

Barbara

Barbara:

Thanks for your reply. I almost put CRT on the list due to some of the reviews I've read, but I'm afraid my three little princesses would kill me. Meal expectations aren't too high for this one, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

On another note, I just had to let you know that the Big Red Boat was our very first cruise! It was in '99 or 2000, after Disney had launched their own ships and ended their association. We've been hooked on cruises ever since! Sadly, the Big Red Boat was seized at sea a year or two after we sailed--I'm sure you know that story. My wife and I still laugh about how we pushed our two beds together in our tiny interior room, blocking the door (and our escape route). Others on the ship were complaining, but we were two twenty-something newlyweds and had so much fun! Your post just stirred up a few memories for me. Thanks!

Kona breakfast is good -- but pay this OOP because you will surely be under $20 per person so would be a bad use of table service. If you're just wanting tonga toast skip the table service & just go to Poly counter service to get it (much cheaper) Keep Fantasmic package...it's worth it (we've done it 3 times since they cut back on the showings & have been very glad we had it every time.)
Personally, I'd skip Boma dinner (we didn't care for it at all, but we're apparently in the minority on that.
Liberty Tree dinner was OK when it had characters - with no characters total waste of $$ -- like cafeteria food.
Liked Chef Mickey brfst -great characters, also like Park Fare dinner - steps were best characters ever. Cape May is also good, but would take Park Fare any day.
If you've ever been to the castle, would skip that one...not worth two credits IMO. If you really want the princess meal, go to Akershus in Epcot for one credit (or less expensive cash price.)

We have been to all and some more than once. It is a hard choice to make. My kids favorite character breakfast is the Character breakfast at Animal Kingdom. In the last ten years we have eaten there every trip.

We love Kona for breakfast and if you keep I agree with the pp that said to pay out of pocket for that one.

If I had to pick one to do with out it would be Liberty Tree or 1900 Park Fair. One we do not like is Hollywood and Vine but you have that with the Fantasmic Package so I would not cancel is you will be there during a busy time and don't want to wait in a long line. The package has always saved us time so that we could enjoy more of the park and not spend it in a line.

I am no expert. Just my thoughts!
;)

Kona breakfast is good -- but pay this OOP because you will surely be under $20 per person so would be a bad use of table service. If you're just wanting tonga toast skip the table service & just go to Poly counter service to get it (much cheaper)

That's a great tip about getting the tonga toast via counter service. I'm assuming at Capt. Cook's? We're staying at the Poly, so that's a great option. We only have 8 table service meals (7 assuming we keep CRT), so we'll be paying OOP for the breakfasts since they are generally less expensive. I appreciate all the feedback.

Sat: Kona (bfst); Hollywood & Vince Fantasmic Pkg (dinner) :We LOVE Kona for breakfast..but I would consider paying OOP for it. HW&V in one of the few places I would never consider eating at. The reviews have been consistenly bad for a long time. I would try Mama Melrose. The food there is pretty good.
Sun: Tusker House (bfst); Boma (dinner) Love them both. Definately 2 keepers. :)
Mon: Le Cellier (dinner) LOVE it...definately keep.:)
Tue: Crystal Palace (bfst); 'Ohana (dinner) Love CP for breakfast. I would definately skip Ohana. It was the worst meal (in terms of both food and service) in Dec. It is one of the few places that we all agreed on to never return. :sad2:
Wed: Whispering Canyon (dinner) or Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner) WCC for dinner was very good for us. We enjoyed the food and the fun. I am glad we did it once, but we are not sure when we will go back. LTT for dinner is a pass for us. We did it once when it was a character meal and the only thing we enjoyed was the characters. We are not huge fans of the food.
Thr: Chef Mickey's (bfst); 1900 Park Fare (dinner) or Cape May (dinner) Love them both...2 more keepers. ;)
Fri: Cinderella's Royal Table (dinner) Never been. We went once for breakfast and enjoyed the experience, but I have a hard time parting with 2 credits on the dining plan for it now. :)
Never been...

HTH! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter