What would you change at WDW?

disneydad78

DIS Veteran
I sit here and ponder changes that could be made to WDW mainly due to the fact my kids are getting older. Sadly , they have asked to not go back to WDW because it's getting boring.
10,14,18 year olds. It has me wondering what could Disney do to keep that market. I for one love going to Disney. I enjoy the history and detail with everything. However , I'm seeing a lack of "pixie dust" especially from CMs.
I would bring back "Year of a Million Dreams" for starters. Seeing the videos posted , the people becoming happy when "dreamed" help WDW a magical place.
Now, I'm seeing CMs talk about college program members taking hours because of what Disney has to pay them. I'm seeing what looks like in happy CMs. Plus, worn down , boring rides.
So, let's start now that I'm being a downer.
Rides I would do away to add more thrill or "teen" rides.
MK
#1 Stiches Great Escape.
#2 Tomorrrowland Speedway... Come on the fumes and lack of thrill is killing me. Wasted land!
#3 Jungile Cruise . Since we have AK with real animal, I don't want to take a boat ride with old lame jokes looking at plastic animals.

Epcot

#1 Ellen , I love you and the ride but please for the love of God UPDATE!
#2 Nothing WDW is on track at Epcot!

AK
#1 Dinoland , take the whole thing down.

HS
#1 Bring back Osborne Christmas lights , are you crazy Mickey?

#2 Muppet 3D , sigh

Can't wait for Star Wars land and Toy story land.

Don't see any of these going away anytime soon . Just a fun debate etc. Disney ,I'm happy to announce will have new lands and rides open soon , I hear sooner then expected , 2025!

I would change Speedway, but just to electric cars and a more futuristic theme.

Update Energy Adventure and re-open an attraction in the Life pavilion (not necessarily Life themed) as Epcot.

Already plenty going on at HS and it'll be great when it's all done.

AK too seems to be shaping up with Avatar and Rivers of Light. Pretty happy with everything else.

Purple MBs.
More rides at EPCOT, redo Innoventions. FW is in dire need of an overhaul.
Not sure what changes are coming to DHS but it really needs more attractions/rides for small children.
More ride or meet and greet videos for Memory Maker.
More characters in the parks.
A cheaper AP option. Something without the memory maker. It could have black out dates.
Climate control!!!

I think I disagree with your whole post. I love the rides you want gone. You can't have both Star Wars Land and the Osbourne Lights, unless you can think of someplace else Disney could put the lights. The Year of a Million Dreams started out great, until you got to see first hand guests chasing Cast Members demanding they be gifted with a Dream Fastpass.

I'm seeing thing from a different perspective because I am an AP with no kids. Of course I enjoy my share of rides/attractions but one of the main things I feel needs to be changed is matching food & drink quality to what the price is. I'm not saying to lower the prices on things because I actually don't mind paying more for better quality but when I am paying more, I am expecting more quality which is not the case in Some restaurants (not all by any means but still a bit too many IMO).

Being that it's a business with the goal of profit above most other things, I understand why this issue is not on their priority to be addressed. Which ties in with my next wish: to go back to the days when there actually was a 'slow' season.

I agree with the OP that Disney doesn't really appeal to the age set of his kids. When my son was 17, he reluctantly went to Disney World with us because it included a trip to Universal - and after going to Universal (this was pre Harry Potter), he said that park was a waste of time. So he enjoyed Disney World more. Then, at the age of 19, he went to Disney World again with us because he was our best man when my husband and I renewed our vows on our 20th wedding anniversary. So, we figured, he was done with Disney World.

And then - he met my daughter-in-law who was a mom to a four year old and they hadn't really ever been on a vacation. Where did my son want to go? Disney World! So, while there aren't too many things that a typical teenager would enjoy at that moment in time, those teenagers grow up and Disney World can lure them back for the now important things in their lives.

My son is currently expecting his third child and since we've taken the first two to Disney World, I can see another trip in about five years (even though that pesky first grandchild will be 23 by then).

I would have made HS more general Pixar focused - IMHO there are so many fabulous Pixar movies, it feels like a slap in the face to them and their creators to say they are only focusing on one story (let's face it... it's one story they dragged out into three - and now more - movies). But then again, with HS focusing on that and Star Wars, I can spend so much more time in the other parks as I don't see the point to HS anymore - not that I was overly thrilled with anything but Fantastic! before all these closures. (And lights? Spare me. BORING.)

Last edited:
A giant, hurricane proof, dome!

With air conditioning! :rotfl:

Seriously, though, I think a few more thrill rides would be good for the teens, but I think some kids may just be "done" with Disney for a while. It doesn't mean they won't be back. But what do I know, my kids are just happy when I don't take them someplace "educational". :lmao:

I guess I'll be able to answer this better after our trip next month. It's been 17 years since I've been, so I'm just looking forward to being there again. Heck, if I ride the monorail once and eat a Mickey ice cream bar I'll be good! They still have both of those, right? LOL! And I am definitely looking forward to many of the classic rides, like Jungle Cruise.

I will say that I'm hoping I can make a return trip once Avatar Land and Star Wars Land are complete. I'd love to see both of those. And I really want to see Rivers of Light too. So those additions will be enough to bring me back.

I guess two things I can think of are: some parades in the other parks, and having the Star Wars fireworks year round at HS.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily put your items first on my list, but I can't argue too hard against them. . . Except dinoland - I can see your kids aren't interested, but it's a huge hit with younger ones who aren't Everst-sized yet.
Of your others, Muppets is another that my whole extended family likes, not one complaint about that from any age.

I'm feeling lucky that my 11 and 14 1/2 year olds have not yet expressed any "no more Disney!" thoughts yet. I'm thinking it's because we don't go annually (more like every 3-4 years). At that pace, Disney has changed or updated enough between our trips to keep us interested and/or it's been long enough that old, unchanged favorites still interest us.

The one area I'd most like to see changed is Epcot Future World! How, exactly? If I knew that, maybe I'd have a job as an Imagineer, but I see lots of good ideas around the DIS.

I know this may be out of left field but a few locker rooms with showers. We spend most of the day in the park and a lot of times stay for dinner either in the park or at a nearby resort. It would be nice if there was a place to freshen up before dinner.

One of the most fun trips (to anywhere) of my life was Disney world in March 2002 when I was 16. Now I got to go with my best friend and I hadn't been in 6 years or so. I embraced the magic!
I definitely think we will likely slow down on wdw when my kids get to that age so as not to over saturate them to the point of boredom.

I could make more changes than Disney has money. 5th gate, new monorails (that work), monorail extended to all parks and some more hotels. New rides and attractions throughout Epcot future world (energy, imagination and wonders of life pavilion), add a couple more rides to world showcase(even if they were just slow boat rides like in Mexico, but would love to see a dragon coaster behind Japan), more good food in MK and AK (especially table service in MK), overhaul/refresh like 30 rides.
I could keep going but I won't.

That being said, taking budgetary concerns into account, I think Disney has a very good plan as to where they are reinvesting. I think they are tackling some of the issues they have at Epcot and HS with limited rides for little ones and at the same time adding stuff that appeals to other generations as well.

The food! I think the dining plan ruined disney dining. I remember having great, different meals when we first starting going around 2000. Then slowly, with the introduction of the dining plan, it has gone downhill, IMO.

Im not sure the dining plan is solely to blame, but you are correct. Many of the dining establishments have gone downhill. Many restraunts in touristy places get away with being average because they don't rely heavily on repeat business. Plus when your at Disney you have to eat what is there.

I would have made HS more general Pixar focused - IMHO there are so many fabulous Pixar movies, it feels like a slap in the face to them and their creators to say they are only focusing on one story (let's face it... it's one story they dragged out into three - and now more - movies). But then again, with HS focusing on that and Star Wars, I can spend so much more time in the other parks as I don't see the point to HS anymore - not that I was overly thrilled with anything but Fantastic! before all these closures. (And lights? Spare me. BORING.)

Rumor has it that they will be doing more Pixar in HS eventually, but they have to get through with phase I before announcing it. Supposedly a monsters inc land will be squeezed in next to toy story somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter