What would you do? Didn't book flight early enough

kwdw

DIS Veteran
Okay - what would you do? I've been on the fence so long about making a trip in August - I failed to book a flight. Now - the only cheap flights GOING to MCO arrive at just before midnight. Flights are about 80-90 dollars higher than I normally pay.

Note - on my current planned arrival day - I have zero plans - I was going to see how I felt. I have an AP - so I can decide last minute - or just chill out for the day - resort hop, Disney Springs.

One idea:
Would you add an extra day and book the arrival night at the MCO Hyatt (I have a free night to use) - and head over to your WDW resort the next day leisurely (since it was planned to be a slow day anyway)?

Second idea:
Book the flight on your original planned arrival day - expecting to arrive at the WDW resort well after midnight - probably not until 1-2 am. Sleep a few hours and then head to the park as planned with not a full night sleep?

I guess the question is how "easy" is that stop at the Hyatt at the airport and getting to Disney the next day? Is it worth giving up my Hyatt night for it? Technically - the Hyatt night/points are worth a bit more than the $90 of the higher flight cost - but there's also "how long is this trip" factor in there.

Opinions?

We've been in this position (second idea) a few times by accident due to delayed flights. Twice we've arrive at BLT and the Contemporary at 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. and still hit the parks first thing in the morning. It wasn't as bad as we thought, so I'd do that ;)

Editing to add that the great part is your room is ready when you check in at that time and you wake up and you're there. I would not want to stay at the airport and then have to commute and basically have to wait all day for your room. But that's us...your mileage may vary/

Okay - what would you do? I've been on the fence so long about making a trip in August - I failed to book a flight. Now - the only cheap flights GOING to MCO arrive at just before midnight. Flights are about 80-90 dollars higher than I normally pay.

Note - on my current planned arrival day - I have zero plans - I was going to see how I felt. I have an AP - so I can decide last minute - or just chill out for the day - resort hop, Disney Springs.

One idea:
Would you add an extra day and book the arrival night at the MCO Hyatt (I have a free night to use) - and head over to your WDW resort the next day leisurely (since it was planned to be a slow day anyway)?

Second idea:
Book the flight on your original planned arrival day - expecting to arrive at the WDW resort well after midnight - probably not until 1-2 am. Sleep a few hours and then head to the park as planned with not a full night sleep?

I guess the question is how "easy" is that stop at the Hyatt at the airport and getting to Disney the next day? Is it worth giving up my Hyatt night for it? Technically - the Hyatt night/points are worth a bit more than the $90 of the higher flight cost - but there's also "how long is this trip" factor in there.

Opinions?
If you have a free night to use going a day early would be my choice. You can always use the pool, etc before your room was ready the next day. If you wanted to save the free night, I would just pay more and fly in earlier on your arrival day, since it seems to be the equivalent expense as staying a night at the Hyatt.

Okay - what would you do?
Of the two ideas I would choose the second idea.

I stayed at the Hyatt once under similar situation; needed to book a late flight rather than my usual flight. It was an easy stop and easy getting to Disney the next day. I think giving up your Hyatt night and/or not getting a full night sleep is way too personal to offer much of an opinion. Personally I'm so excited for a WDW trip (solo traveler) that I never need a full nights sleep before heading to the park. Do you do better on a full nights sleep?

I'd rather burn a Hyatt night than a Disney night. You can book Mears Connect to get to WDW the next day, just enter a random flight that arrives at a time you like. So of your 2 ideas I like Idea #1, would not do Idea #2, or go with Idea #3--if there's a better flight on your original arrival day, do that and go straight to WDW.

If the Hyatt is significantly cheaper than a night at WDW and your goal is to save money, do that. If the difference is minor, I would rather just get to WDW and settle into my hotel and be ready to go the next morning. Time is money too and the getting from the airport to your resort the next morning, checking in, etc is going to take time away from your park experience.
For me, unless I am going to save hundreds of dollars, I just rather go directly to my hotel that I am staying at for the rest of the trip. I don't see it as any kind of "waste" to get to your hotel later. I would much rather just get there, get all unpacked and settled in and be set for my vacation. Wouldn't you rather be all settled into your room so that the next day you don't have to waste time switching hotels and unpacking, etc? You could be in the parks enjoying yourself instead.

Or, just suck it up and pay more for the flight that you want. We have all had that happen.

I'd forget all the permutations that require an extra hotel night.

As the day goes on flights get more likely to get delayed or canceled.

I'd spend a little extra and get the earliest, preferably 1st, flight of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter