What Would You Do?

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
Here's my choice...

Stay onsite at either DLH (preferred view high floor) or Paradise Pier (not sure of the room category, but comparable) - estimated price is $400 per night per room (next summer, 2011). I need two rooms.

OR

Stay offsite at Sheraton Anaheim (I really need the shuttle) and get an upgraded room possibly even the 2 bedroom bi level suite - estimated price $400 for either 2 upgraded rooms or the suite. Basically half the price.

One other option (food for thought)

What if a pin code/discount is available for 40% which makes the on site much closer in price to the offsite option. Would you still stay offsite for the upgraded rooms?

(BTW...I am an EXTREME DLR novice. So I am assuming that the preferred view is simply a standard room with a nice view.)

Any thoughts?

Also feel free to chime in with anything else for a newbie. I have already printed and read most of Hydro's tips....THANKS Hydro!:banana:

We just got back 2 weeks ago and stayed off site at the Hyatt. I personally like having the shuttle and didn't feel like there was a huge disadvantage to being off-site. Some people believe it's much better to be closer.

We stayed 6 nights at GCV(rented points). Being onsite was such a convenience for us an its the only way we would do a Disney stay in the future. We did splurge and get a 2 bed Villa, but I am sure a Hotel room would be more than comfortable with the same on site convenience. I know many have different views, but for us it just added to the relaxation to be simple able to stroll back to hotel whenever we wanted ( like to get out of wet clothes from the Grizzly Ride) and having private entry to DCA.

Tough one. Unlike WDW, I don't think there's as much of a need to stay onsite at DL to have the best experience. Mainly because the DL hotels are as far, if not further, to the entrance of DL or DCA as many of them accross the street.
There are so many more options right across the street that would be so much less expensive than either option and not make you dependent upon the shuttle. Or, we have friends who frequently stay at the Holiday Inn off of Ball and take the ART and SWEAR it's the best way to go.
If you're comparing an off site and on site and they are aproximately the same price, I'd go ahead and say onsite. However, a downside to staying onsite is I believe the pools close at sundown, so if the family likes to go light night swimming or like to sit in the hot tub at the end of the day, not one of the better options.
If there is a substantial difference in price, stay offsite and use the "extra" for something special while you're there. Treat the kids to a Bibbidi Bobbity Boutique make over. Or do a special tour. Or give the kids each a stack of Disney Dollars. Or upgrade to annual passes with the promise of a future trip. Just using the example you've given, if you're saving $200 a day, that would fund an AP upgrade for a family member per day. Plus if you did the AP's to begin with, you'd also get a discount on food and merchandise.
I don't know how long you're planning to stay, but if it's more than a couple of days, split your time, maybe. Get the experience of DL property and the offsite savings.

to us a room is a room. 400 dollars a nite versus 100 dollars a nite off site. there's constrution/refurbishment going on at onsite hotels. extra noise and not all ammenities available. plus the problem with the hotel workers union

Off Site.... Lots of nice hotels/motels in the area that are a 5-10 minute walk or ART ride from the park...

Save your money

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter