What's for dinner? Was it "budget"?

man am i late joining this party.....i love this thread....
tonite we are having an indian chick pea curry and flat bread
probably about $2.50 total plus we will have plenty of leftover curry!

I would love this recipe too. I have lots of cans of chick peas and nothing to do with them!

Tonight we had breakfast for supper.I can't believe the amount of food my four kids are eating!:scared1: Two boys hitting their growth spurts is killing me.
18 eggs 1.88
2 cans biscuits .80
1 package turkey bacon 2.50
grapes .50

$5.38 for a family of 6 with biscuits and bacon left to go with breakfast tomorrow morning.:goodvibes

Tonight I had the 4th night of double duty dinners... DS and I eat at 4:30pm so he can make soccer camp and DD and DH eat at 5:30pm when he gets home.... I cant wait for this week to be over....

Tonight

Chicken Nuggets (homemade)
Frozen seasoned fries (oven baked)
applesauce
corn

Total around $6.00

I tried a new dinner and my husband keeps requesting it! I can't believe he will actually eat something healthy! We had half a steak left over from last night and he wants the same thing again!

Steak and Portabella mushrooms marinated in soy sauce, pepper and garlic (he likes it to marinate for a LONG time) and then grilled for about 5 min on each side.

Slice and serve over spinach and any vegetables you want in your salad. I also include either torrellini or mini-ravioli that have soaked in a little balsamic vinegar. We like to add artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, blanched green beans, chick peas, etc.

Then top with a light balsamic vinegar dressing.

I think having the portabellas allow him to eat less steak (he is a meat man!)

I don't know how budget friendly it is since the portabellas alone were $3, but I bought the steak on sale and froze it.

Just proud that he will eat something healthy, that's all!!

I am flattered that my recipe is being requested!
once again, i don't measure, but here goes:
i haven't specified amounts of spice powder since it is a personal preference. turmeric can be bitter if in excess, all you need is a pinch. if you don't like heat, go easy on the cayenne too!

1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp grated ginger
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
coriander powder
cayenne pepper
pinch of turmeric powder
garam masala/curry powder
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
cream/coconut milk (optional)

saute onions in a little oil until translucent. add garlic and ginger and saute for a minute or so. add spice powders and fry for a few seconds (take care not to burn them). add tomatoes and a little water(just enough to make a sauce), turn down heat, cover and cook for about 5-6 mts. once tomatoes are soft and cooked and dish has the appearance of a curry, add the chick peas and cook for about 4-5 mts. you can add more water at this stage if you like the dish to have more of a gravy. for a little extra richness, add some cream or coconut milk. DONE!

I consider this a budget dish since i always have the spices on hand and i buy in bulk at the indian grocery. another tip: sauteed onions, garlic and ginger, along with this combination of spices can make any dish taste "indian". if you like a thicker gravy, mush up some of the chick peas and mix it in well.

ENJOY!!

main course of conservatism followed up with some moral fiber, that works well for my system. i find that any amount of liberalism is too harsh on my stomach and i end up in the bathroom full of $#@!

Friday night is always pizza night. The grocery store has some really great frozen pizzas these days.

Thin crust three-meat pizza- $5.00
chips-$2.00

Total for a family of 4- $7.00

We had Buffalo Chicken Chili, with leftover chicken..It's not as cheap as many of your meals but it's cheaper than what I usually spend..I'm trying to cut my grocery budget by about 30% .WE spend about 1000$ for a family of 5 :scared1: .I'm trying for 750$ this month

Cheap and not so healthy dinner for us. The kids had hotdogs and I had a Weight Watchers meal.
Will have to plan a better meal tommorow :goodvibes

And it was really, really good!

My 15 year old, with some help from me, made a real lasagna today. I offered him recipes for lasagna-like dishes but he really wanted to do this.

The side salad was from the garden so that was free.

Hamburger - 2.49
Noodles (half a package) - .80
Cheese - 1.90?
Tomato sauce and canned tomatoes - 1.35
Extras (onion, garlic, etc.) - nominal

Total - 6.54. We'll get six servings out of the pan, so that's pretty darn good! And to think we probably would have paid at least $10 for it at a restaurant. But we would have had rolls - that's what? another 50 cents at most?

NHWX

We are on our 3rd day of record-breaking 100º+ temperatures, and I simply cannot bring myself to turn on an oven. We have no AC and its just too darn hot.

So yesterday, I was rummaging through the freezer, trying to figure out what to cook. We have been cooking on the BBQ for the last few days, and - wonderful as grilled food is - I need a change. Unfortunately, its almost payday, and the cupboards are pretty bare. :sad2: Everything left in the freezer seems to require long periods of oven-cooking... chickens for baking, etc... and that is NOT happening. But wait! What's that I see? Its a corned beef! I remember now, I bought it back in March when they were REALLY on sale, and tossed it in the freezer! Hmmm... looks OK... not freezer-burned or hairy with frost... toss it in the crockpot and it'll do! NO OVEN! :thumbsup2

So that's dinner tonight; corned beef in the crockpot with potatoes. I will serve 2 veggies on the side; brussels sprouts for the grown-ups because I have no traditional cabbage and sprouts are cabbage-like, and something else for the kids, who wouldn't touch brussels sprouts with a 10-foot pole. I am not sure I am in the mood for a traditional corned beef dinner - its seems quite seasonally inappropriate - but hey... its dinner. And even if we can't bring ourselves to eat much of it, we can slice it up and have Reubens another nite, or dice it with the leftover potatoes and have hash for breakfast.

And it was TOTALLY budget, cuz I bought it for only $6 clear back in March. ;)

boiled cabbage - .99
fried eggplant - 1.29

tomorrow night:
lima beans in the crockpot - 1.29
connecuh sausage - 2.99

thurs night:
mexican chicken-under $10

fri. night:

salads

i have to plan my meals like this or we would eat out more! we are going to disney in 9 days and we need to save our moolah!:)
mousiemom

Taco Soup was on the menu for this evening. It smells soooooooo good right now too. Yum!

We had burgers on the grill...with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes from the garden, pickles, etc. and I made a Suddenly Salad pasta salad....which was like 30c because I had a coupon!

We had:
Rotisserie Chicken
(Costco FREE after new member coupon)
Salad
(Costco .49 after new member coupon)
French Bread
(4.49)
Drink
(.49)

Total around $5.50 and we have lots of chicken, salad and bread left over for lunches for dd and I.

Tomorrow we will have these lasagna roll-ups that I found there...you got 2 trays for $4.xx. We'll have leftover bread and salad so another night right around $5!

Just picked up a 5 pack of beautiful Austrailian Strip Steaks 3 LB pack on sale for 8.31- normal price 21.13!!!

2 Steaks-1.60
Asparagus- 1.99
Corn on the Cob .50

Total $4.09 Not bad at all for a nice steak dinner.

Last night was pizza and salad
pizza crust free after coupon
pizza sauce was 1.35
cheese 2 @ 1.67
bell pepper .84
onion .80
salad 1.50

Total was $7.83 for six people.:goodvibes

Tonight the kids ate at Nana's but I did send a half bag chicken nuggets which were free after coupon.DH and I ate leftovers.:thumbsup2

I have been trying for one good enough to list here.

Last night was Red Beans and Rice

Pack of Red Beans 1.39
Pound of Kielbasa 1.49 (B1G1 sale)
1 cup of Brown Rice .25
tomatoes from garden .00
leftover onions from last weeks cookout in freezer .00
1 tsp minced garlic .10?
$3.14 total for a HUGE pot, could feed 10 people of last for several meals.

I will do this again later this month as I have another pack of Kielbasa in the freezer from the sale.

Should be interesting to see how we all do now that we are back to school... Snacks, juice boxes and all of those things add $$ to my shopping list for sure. I went shopping Saturday and spent $35 more for sandwich meats, 2 boxes of juice packs, baggies, packaged snacks, and more fruits than I have bought all summer... School lunches served by the school in our area has just one up to $3... Thats $15 a week just for lunch, I think I can feed my son for less than that? How do others trim down their school lunch budgets?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter