Wheelchair accessibility at Aulani

rickdeni

Mouseketeer
A year ago I booked a 2 bedroom villa at Aulani for July 5-llth. Last week I fell and broke my ankle and will have surgery tomorrow. This trip is to celebrate my 50th Anniversary and we are taking son,wife and 2 children, 12 and 14. We are taking the Norwegian cruise first and then Aulani. I will be in a wheelchair and can use a walker for short distances. My family wants to cancel but I would to go ahead with the trip. I have put too much time and money in planning. I know I will have problems on the cruise but can accept them but I am unsure of Aulani. Any information would be appreciated.

I doubt you will have any difficulties at Aulani if you are restricted to using a wheelchair and walker for short distances. The pool areas and the Starlit Hui lawn can be accessed via elevators, so you would not have to negotiate any steps. There is even a ramp that will take you down to the level of the lagoon. Of course, trying to get out to the water using a walker over the sandy beach will be your biggest hurdle. The resort has elevators that you can use to access any of Aulani's eateries, so you should not have any problems.

By the way, Aulani's pools have the HA chairs that people with mobility issues can use to enter and exit the water. So if you want to get in the pools, the HA chairs will be there to assist you. I don't know if you would be able to get in and out of the Lazy River, though. And the water slides are definitely out of the question!

The Aulani Villas and Views thread has a list of the Handicapped Accessible villas and the type of adaptation in each villa. The list is in the bottom half of Post #1 of the thread. One DVC Member who used HA villas at both Aulani and other DVC resorts at Walt Disney World was very impressed with Aulani's HA villa. She thought it was better than what her family is accustomed to at WDW.

We've cruised on NCL's Pride of America and I don't think you'll any mobility issues while on the ship. Two things I remember about the Pride of America: The public elevators are small -- about as small as an elevator can get; and the average staterooms are also relatively small; it will be a tight fit (albeit doable) to use a walker in most staterooms.

Best of luck on your trip. Aulani is a great resort and I think once you get there you'll be glad you didn't cancel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter