• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair and GAC ?

maryliz

<font color=990099>The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Blo
Hi everyone. I've been reading some of the posts regarding these GAC's and I have a couple of questions. DSIS is going to WDW in October, and is currently undergoing chemo and tires very, very easily. She will have a wheelchair most definitely. When she's feeling good, she'll park the wheelchair much like we would a stroller and she will wait in the queues. However, there will be times when she just won't be able to stand in the queues. Will she and her DH and her kids be able to use a wheelchair entrance for attractions at that time? Or does she require a GAC too? They will utilize FP whenever possible. From what I've read, "inability to stand in the queues" is a stamina issue, and not a "need" that would be indicated on a GAC. And she does not need to remain in the wheelchair for any attraction... she'll just be using it so she doesn't tire around the parks.

As well, she definitely cannot "do stairs". So we were wondering if she should get a GAC to avoid stairs -- I'm thinking the new stunt show at MGM.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. My family will be there too, so we'll be working hard to ensure she doesn't overdo it. :)

TIA ...

MaryLiz

The wheelchair is your GAC. If she needs to stay in the wc for some rides because she is tired then she just needs to stay in it. Almost all rides are main streamed with everyone using the same entrance. Just pick up the disablity guide at the park to let you know if there is an alternate entrance.
Don't worry about getting out of the chair in attraction either, I see it happen all the time.

I agree with pugdog.
I think she would be much better just staying in the wheelchair for the attractions. For many rides/attractions, she will need to transfer out of the wheelchair to a ride care at the boarding area. Just the transferring is going to tire her out. So, staying in the chair for the wait in line will really help to conserve her energy.
Also, some of the lines are deceptive. They may look like a short distance and the posted wait time may be short, but you wind around and around and walk quite a long way.
If she wants to get up and walk around a bit, I'd suggest walking in the shops. They are kind of tight and busy for driving a wheelchair around and she will be able to see things in the shops better if she is walking.
If you haven't already looked at the disABILITIES FAQs thread, it would be helpful to check out the links in that thread. There's a link to get to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities, which has a list of the Mainstream lines. There is also a link there to a past thread about boarding rides for people who need extra time.

Thanks folks! I appreciate the info. I had to laugh about the shopping ... yep, she'll definitely be doing the shops! ;) We go to Disney a lot, so she'll be able to judge whether or not she wants to remain in the chair for the queue lines. And when we were there in Aug, NONE of the wait times were even close to accurate!

We will definitely stop by guest services and get the disability guide at the parks.

MaryLiz

maryliz said:
We will definitely stop by guest services and get the disability guide at the parks.

MaryLiz
If you want to look at one ahead of time, you can find a link at the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There is one for each park.
Since you said she is a frequent visitor, she/you probably have some park maps someplace in the house (I've got them all over myself). There are icons next to each attraction on the park maps that indicate the rides with warnings (a red triangle) and whether or not it's possible to stay in a wheelchair/ecv for the entire attraction.
The shops are all wheelchair acceessible, but sometimes hard to get around in because of the other people.
If she chooses to get out for a ride, I'd suggest doing it for attractions they have Fastpasses for, since you know the wait will be 15 minutes or less. Also, before getting into a line, you can ask the CM if the wait time is accurate compared to the sign.

When I was there in April, I had an ECV. There were many (not all) rides that I was able to access through the Fastpass lines, but they always looked at my GAC. If she wants to sit in the wheelchair in line, I would get one. Why not? It's free and it takes 5 minutes.

There are some attractions where the regular line is not wheelchair/ecv accessible. For those attractions, ECV and wheelchair users are sent to the Fastpass lines, because that is the only accessible way.
If all you need is access, in general, you don't need a GAC. They are more dor invisible needs.

Once again, we were NOT allowed in the Fastpass line without the GAC. I know because on one occasion our group split up and I accidentally left the card with the other part of my group, and I couldn't get on several of the rides.

Why NOT get a GAC and prevent problems? Why get to the other side of the park from Guest Relations and then run into a problem with a cast member?

If the Fastpass line is the only accessible entrance you are allowed to use it with a wheelchair or ecv without having a Fastpass at WDW. A few attractions are like this, but most were either built with accessible lines or had it added. All the Fastpass lines are accessible.

For attractions that have Mainstream lines (which means that the regular line is accessible to wheelchairs and ECVs), people using wheelchairs or ecvs are able to wait in the regular line and are expected to get a Fastpass if they want to avoid waiting in line. If you want to enter the Fastpass line for Mainstream attractions, you need to have a Fastpass or a specific GAC (most GACs don't allow this because most people don't need that level of access).

Someone who only needs an accessible line, doesn't need a GAC. The CMs can see the wheelchair or ecv and know that you need the accessible line (which may be the regular line).
If there are other needs besides having an accessible line, that's what a GAC is for. It's a tool to let CMs know what assistance/accomidation is needed.
Not all GACs are alike. Some have messages that allow a wait in a quieter place, some allow a stroller to be used as a wheelchair, some allow a wait out of the sun (when the line is in the sun for a "prolonged period" - according to the card), some allow use of alternate entrances. The GAC card has some basic information printed on it, then a stamp is added for the guest. What is stamped on the card is based on the needs that the guest explained to Guest Services.

In most cases, the GAC doesn't allow use of the Fastpass return line (although in some cases, that is the alternative entrance). Here's what actually is printed right on the back of all GACs:
Some attractions have alternate entrances for Guests with disabilities. These are intended to offer Guests in wheelchairs or with service animals a more convenient entrance to the attraction. Alternate entrances are not intended to provide immediate access. Guests with disabilities and up to 5 members of their party may enter through these entrances. For operational considerations, additional party members are required to use the standard queue.
At attractions offering Disney's FASTPASS service, Guests should obtain a Disney's FASTPASS return ticket.

Where it becomes confusing is if a Guest goes first to some of the attractions that don't have Mainstream access. MK is the oldest park and has the most attractions with alternate entrances. A lot of people go to MK first and their first experiences are with the least accessible attractions. If they are routed to the exit or Fastpass line for those attractions, they assume that's how it's supposed to work for all attractions. So, when they go to an attraction that does have Mainstream access and they are directed to either get a Fastpass or use the standard line, it seems like the CM is doing something wrong. So, people assume that they need a GAC to use the wheelchair/ecv in line.

There is a list of which attractions have Mainstream Access on the
official Disney website links to their Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. The list is way at the bottom of the page.
For those attractions, wheelchair/ecv users are able to use the regular line.
If you are entering a line that does not have Mainstream access and the CM is refusing to let you use the accessible entrance, then you should ask to speak to a supervisor. But, in general, if it's a Mainstream line and they won't let you go into the Fastpass line without a Fastpass or a specific GAC, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

I had the guidebook, I knew which attractions had mainstream access and which didn't. At several attractions for which Fastpass IS the only wheelchair-accessible entrance the CMs refused to let me in without the GAC. Maybe that's not Disney policy, but I know it ruined my day in MK because I got separated from my card.

Again, why are you opposed to people getting the GAC?

Ploni said:
I had the guidebook, I knew which attractions had mainstream access and which didn't. At several attractions for which Fastpass IS the only wheelchair-accessible entrance the CMs refused to let me in without the GAC. Maybe that's not Disney policy, but I know it ruined my day in MK because I got separated from my card.

You had a fastpass for the ride and they refused to allow you to enter the fastpass lane?

I have gotten to a ride after all of the fastpass's had been issued for the day. I was given a handwritten fast pass to come back at a later time eqqual to the stand by line wait time.

I think the problem is eveyone should try for the minimal amount of access to avoid taking advantage of the situation. If you can wait in lines then you should wait in lines just like everyone else. A wheelchair (I use one) or an ECV is not an automatic fastpass for all rides and it shouldn't be.

No, I had a wheelchair, the ride was listed in the guide as being Fastpass access for wheelchairs, I didn't have my GAC, and they told me I couldn't use the Fastpass entrance without it. The CM said, anybody can rent a wheelchair.

Sorry if I seem a little dense. My sisters situation is definitely a "stamina" issue, due to her chemo. I know that at Guest Services, they do not want to know "what" is wrong with her. But there's a big difference between the reason she has stamina issues, and someone else's stamina issues which might be related only to chasing after their children all day ;)

Because there are 8 of us going, the ideal situation would be for her to use the wheelchair much like a stroller, and the 8 of us will be in either the regular or fastpass lines so we can be together. Good points made earlier though ... those lines can tire her out as much as walking from attraction to attraction. In those times, we will split up, and she and her DH and kids will head off, depending on whether she can stay in the wheelchair in the main line. I understood that they would not issue a GAC for "stamina" reasons ... but that's truly why we need the wheelchair. Based on all of this, I'm not sure whether they would actually issue her a GAC because her particular "need" doesn't qualify? :confused3

I'm just so thrilled that she's agreed to the wheelchair idea ... and I don't want her to experience any negativity around her use of it.

Yes, I guess "anybody CAN rent a wheelchair" ... but the long and short of it is that most people wouldn't rent one to try and "get on rides faster" ... I love the idea of giving the person a handwritten fastpass equal to the main queue wait time! And I'd take real issue with a CM if they ever said that to someone in my presence.

Please tell me we're not going to have problems ...

Thanks,
MaryLiz

Okay I am going to attempt to answer this question to the best of my ability. First I don't know you or what your condition is that you need a wheelchair for so please know I am going into this blindly.
There are some people that need a wheelchair and a GAC. But it is very few. The reason is that the lines are wheelchair assessable. Which means that if you can sit in your wheelchair in the line you don't need a GAC. If you have a underlying condition we don't know about and need a GAC for other reasons besides you just needing a wheelchair then that is different.
One reason someone may need a GAC if they have a wheelchair is if they need to stay out of the Sun. If this were the case then they would give you a card that would let you wait in the shade instead of being in the line. This does not mean you go up to the front of the line. In fact many lines are in the shade so the card is only needed for few rides.
The person at Space mountain was right there line Is wheelchair accessible at WDW and if you don't need other assistance besides requiring a wheelchair to get around there is no reason for you not to be able to wait in the regular que with all the other guest. The ADA states that we (as Disabled citizens) have the right to access any ride, restaurant , store, ect..... as any other well Bodied person. IT does not say that we get special or priority access.
So I am assuming that you got the GAC because you have other underlying conditions that you can not sit in your wheelchair for the length of the line? We just don't want everyone that has a wheelchair going to city hall and asking for a GAC if they do not need it. But if you need it. you need it. go discuss you situation to guest relations and they can help plan your day.

Thanks for your answer JenJen. I was pretty sure that we didn't need a GAC because the wheelchair basically solves her issues. Just started to worry that she was going to have some problems, based on others' experiences. Seems that a lot of attractions are mainstreamed such that the 8 of us will be able to stay together. :goodvibes

I've never had to visit this board in the past, and I have to say that the info you wonderful people provide certainly takes away a lot of the planning stress! Thanks to you all!

MaryLiz

I understand that Disney's POLICY may be that you don't need a GAC to use the standard wheelchair entrances. But I can tell you, based on visiting all 4 parks a few months ago, that I CONSTANTLY was asked for it by CM's and was prevented from getting on several attractions when I didn't have it.

The CM's may be misinformed, but they expect to see the GAC to use the Fastpass line, even for those attractions that are listed in the Guide as having the Fastpass entrance as the wheelchair entrance. Once again, policy is one thing, practice is another. I agree that for rides that use mainstream lines, you don't need it, but I believe that every park has at least a few that use Fastpass or another entrance, and MK has a lot of them. Even when the line is mainstream access, you sometimes have to turn off at some point and board the ride at a different point, and again, the CM wants to see your GAC at that point.

By the way, JenJen, for the rides that use different entrances, the GAC only gets access to the special entrance for 6 people total, so for those rides your party will have to separate.

I understand that Disney's POLICY may be that you don't need a GAC to use the standard wheelchair entrances. But I can tell you, based on visiting all 4 parks a few months ago, that I CONSTANTLY was asked for it by CM's and was prevented from getting on several attractions when I didn't have it.

I now know what you are saying. (I think) There are certain rides that have wheelchair entrances and you wanted to bypass the line and go right to those entrance or use fastpass line instead of the regular line?
What I was talking about is Waiting in the line in a wheelchair and not going through any "special entrance." Alot of the lines are wheelchair accessible which means you wait in line with everyone else in a wheelchair. If you go up to a cast member and ask them to use the fast pass entrance (without a fastpass) or Wheelchair entrance (Without waiting in the part of the line that is accessible) they will ask you for a GAC because there are certain GAC's that let you Bypass the line .These passes are normally only given out to children with severe behavior issues. Without a GAC you need to wait in the regular line. Maybe I got it wrong again but I think that is what you meant by "The standard wheelchair entrances."
Did Cast members tell you that you could not Ride the attraction because you did not have a GAC? Or did they tell you that you had to wait in the regular Line because you did not have a GAC? IF they told you that you could not ride the attraction without a GAC that is a big issue that needs to be addressed because that is WRONG!
PS please let me know I am interested in what happened.
JenJen

Many attractions, especially the newer ones, are designed such that wheelchairs can go through the regular lines. (Some of those are mighty tight with an ECV, but I digress.) But on certain attractions, especially in MK, Disney admits that it just isn't possible and tells you to use the Fastpass entrance. For those, maybe theoretically you shouldn't need a GAC, but the CMs asked for it. I wasn't able to go on because I got separated from my GAC, they wouldn't let me bring my ECV in through the Fastpass entrance, and it wouldn't fit through the regular entrance. The CMs attitude was, if you're not able to get out and walk, you have to get a GAC. Even showing them the listing in the Guide for Disabilities didn't help.

The last time I was there I did not really look but when I was there a bout 5 years ago they did provide wheelchairs at the attraction for those guest with ECV or stamina issues that you could borrow. I remember they were a very bright color so that they were not taken from the attraction. Do they still provide those? A lot could have changed in 5 years.

I didn't see any, but I know that on certain rides you have to transfer from an ECV to a standard wheelchair. Usually that's right at the ride itself, so at that point I just got out and walked. (I can walk a fair amount, I walk in my everyday life, but I can't stand up in a line for an hour.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter