wheelchair at cast away Cay

karendillr

Earning My Ears
Hi,

This is my first time using this site. We have a 7 year old daughter who is severely disabled. We push her in a Convaid cruiser wheelchair/stroller. We are going to Disney World in May. We are doing the land/cruise package for our family and my husbands sisters family. (10 of us in all) I have a few questions.
1. How are the disabled kids treated at disney?
We will have to find a place to grind all of her food. I will take my mini food chopper. But, it is electic
2. When we are at Cast away Cay is there a wheelchair that we can use for the sand?
My email address is
Karendillr@hotmail.com
thank you so much
Karen

I just posted a note re special diets on DCL. My experience is limited to food allergies though. For dining at the parks, the sit down places are great about accommodating special diets, just let them know when you make your priority seating reservations. We have occassionally brought in food for me in an insulated lunch sack just to know what was in it -- although you are not supposed to bring in your own food, no one has ever said anything and it is for a medical purpose. Not condoning it, just relating our experience re coping with allergies. I bet you could use your chopper at First Aid, they are very nice. There are menus for all WDW resturants at http://allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm which might be helpful in your planning.

Yes, they do have sand wcs to use at Castway Cay. I will leave a more experienced person to post the list of links to the general info about touring with special needs. Welcome to this board!

:wave: Cupcake

For the cruise, I forgot to say that you can also fill out a form before your cruise which specifies your daughter's needs. In fact, I think you should ask for it. I feel confident that they can prepare her food to your specifications. They have an elaborate program set up for people with severe food allergies (thankfully, I am OK with traces of soy, I just can't have a lot), and chopping specified foods doesn't seem any harder at all.

Also, if there are any special meals you want to go to at WDW, like a character meal, I suggest you call ahead and I bet they can help you out. They have been dazzlingly nice to us. For example, the pastry chef at the California Grill prepared a custom special dessert for our 10th anniversary. WDW had her contact my dh directly, who did it as a surprise.

:wave: Cupcake

I went on a Disney Cruise Four Years ago.

There was ramped access from the boat to the dock at all the ports we visited. (Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, St Thomas & St Maarten), but you might have to negotiate stairs at St Thomas & St Maarten if they use a tender instead of docking.

There are sand wheelchairs along the back of the beach at Castaway Cay.

The tram service on Castaway Cay is wheelchair accessible.

The cabins have 110 volt outlets.

Andrew

Hi
We have a 7 year old non-verbal, nonmobile brain injured daughter, whom we now take regularly to Disney! We have found that Disney is the one place that we can be a regular family together. No one has time to stare or gawk at her. CM's are very friendly and helpful. And almost everything is accessible.
They have changed the GAC's to mainstreaming instead of bypassing the main line. You have to use Fastpass as much as possible and you can use the First Aid station for diaper or clothing changes.
Our experiences have been nothing but postive. We are actually now looking into buying into DVC as we try and take her there once a year.
We did the land/ sea cruise in May 2001. We loved it. Our pre-stay was at the POLY which was great for its accessibility for the Monorail to MK and EPCOT. We only used our car for MGM and AK.
Ryleigh was also allowed to attend both the child care centre "Neverland Club" at the POLY and particpate in the program at Oceaneers Club on the Wonder. It is up to the facilitators about whether or not they will take your child. It also depends on medical needs. Ryleigh has no major health problems such as seizures or reflux etc.... but they do not guarantee participation without an aid.
Most resturants will grind the food for you though we have never had to use this service.
Try and make sure you have an accessible room on the boat. We went with a category 6 so we had a normal room at the POLY the rooms are quiet big) but an accessible room on the boat. Our room was huge and so was the verandah. Lots of extra storgae space as they had a closet for the wheelchair. We also had both a bath and a roll-in shower.
They do have beach wheelchairs.We actually ended up placing her car seat in it as she was too small then to sit alone in the chair. She was only 4! They are seats with big inflatable yellow wheels that seem to glide over the sand. I didn't push it too much as she spent the day in the kids club. I only went to feed her and change her once in awhile.
If you need anymore advice or have anymore ?'s.... just ask!
if not enjoy your trip.
PS - It was unbelieveable hot in the Caribbean. Invest in a misty mister for your child!:wave2:

This phone number: (407)-566-5815, which is the office of Deiter Hannig, Senior Vice President for Food and Beverage for WDW.
They deal with all the menus at WDW (from full service to food carts) and will be able to help with your questions.
We don't need any food ground up, but I have read posts from people who did. They had no problems with getting this done in the full service restaurants. I think it might not be available in the counter service restaurants, but the phone number above should be able to tell you.
You might also want to look into a non-electric food grinder (food mill). I know several parents of children who need their food ground who use these. Much easier than carrying around an electric one (although you still have the problem of cleaning it).
WDW is a very accessible place, in general. MK is least accessible, since it is the oldest park. We've been coming since my youngest DD (who uses a wheelchair) was a year old. She is now 18. We have been members of DVC at OKW for 10 years and have not regretted our decision to buy there.

Any other questions, just ask.

I went on the Disney Cruise twice this year. Call DCL and ask for the handicapped form. You can list what you require have your doctor sign it and fax it back to them. I have issues with my esphagus having no motility. They catered to my every need. Our Asst. Head Waiter came over immediatly when we were on the Wonder to help me deal with my issues. On the Magic Assit Head Waiter Scottish John was awesome.

At Palos was able to eat the most food I had in over 2 years. I jokingly said I could eat this every night. Turns out the next night in Tritons I was told that Palos had called Eric and would be willing to send down my meal from the night before. So I was sent down the polenta.

They will truly accomdate you. When we were on the Magic they didn't receive my form. It got lost in the shuffle all I heard was no problem. So get that form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter