• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WheelChair on solo trip

arkie

Mouseketeer
How hard would it be to get around the parks in a wheelchair by yourself. Is it to hard to wheel yourself around?

A lot depends on your stamina.
My DD is not able to wheel herself for long distances, but I have seen paraplegics who we've encountered at various times during the day who are still going strong late in the day.
If you normally wheel yourself in a wheelchair all day, you should do fine as long as you pace yourself. If you are a new wheelchair user or don't normally move around in a wheelchair all day, I would suggest an ecv if you are able to drive one, or a companion who can help you when you get too tired to move yourself.

I agree with Sue. If you push yourself everyday you should be fine but if you don't I would rent an EVC. Both my daughters are independent pushers and by the time they were 4 could push themselves all over WDW without any help. Since their wheelchair is their only mode of transportation and they have great upper body strength it's no problem for them. However, I tried moving around in my older DD's chair and let me tell you it's a lot of work if you aren't used to it.

I would recomend an ECV from an off site company if you are not a regular wheelchair pusher. The world is not as flat as you think.

We encountered a solo wheelchair user on our last trip. Actually the lady was using crutches and rented a wc to go to Fantasmic. I don't know how she got up to the show but on the way out my DH spotted her struggling to make one of the many inclines. She was rolling backwards, people were just stepping out of the way and going around her. My DH walked behind her and grabbed the chair while saying I have you. He said he would push her if she would like. Well she was very grateful. DH pushed her to the wc rental area. Some of the terrain throughout WDW would be difficult if you are not use to rolling yourself.

Nanajo1 your husband is a gem. I had the same problem one day when my wheelchair ran out of power and I had to use a manual for a while. Boy was it hard. Finally this guy comes and offers to help. I have never been so relieved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter