• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wheelchair or handicap lines

chismrules

Earning My Ears
My dgt.age 14 was just told last night that she has a tibia stress fracture and she needs to wear a big tight boot to keep her leg at a certain angle to heal. She says it is heavy and is making her knee tired and hurting.(problem with knee also)We are leaving Sat. for Disney. I don't think she will manage to make it threw Epcot or Mgm trying to walk and stand in lines. If we got a wheelchair, would the whole family go with her in the other line. Also is there a special map or something that tells where the lines or areas are or is it always noticeable. Also if she wanted to try without the chair, could we still use the handicap entrance so it wouldn't tire her out as much. Thanks for any info.

There really aren't any specific 'wheelchair/handicap' lines, just alternate entrances for specific needs. If she just needs a wheelchair, she can use the regular lines where they are accessible. When the line is not accessible, you would be directed to use an alternate entrance.

It depends on how many people are in your party to say if everyone got to stay together.

Check the 'stickies' at the top of this forum for some great info!

Hope you have a great trip, even with this situation tossed in!

the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a link to the WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities that you can look at before you go.
You'll notice if you look at them that most of the attractions have what is called Mainstream Access, which means people using wheelchairs use the same line as everyone else. If the boarding area is not wheelchair accessible, there will be an alternate boarding area or alternate entrance, but you usually wait in the regular line untilo close to the regular boarding area.
AK and the Disney MGM studio were built with Mainstream Access. MK and Epcot are not as accessible because they are older, but they did add Mainstream lines if possible as attractions were added or renovated.

I'd strongly suggest using a wheelchair, but if she chooses not to, the CMs will see her boot (if it's easily noticeable) and should direct her to the accessible entrance. The distance she walks will not be that much different in the "wheelchair line" than in the regular line.
If you want to shorten your time in line, your best bet is to use Fastpass.
You can send one member of your party ahead with all the park tickets to get Fastpasses. The distance walked in the Fastpass line may not be all that different than the regular line, but the wait will usually be 10 minutes or less.

My daughter used a wheelchair at WDW. There was 5 of us in the party and we had no problems going in the rides with her. The people at Disney were 2nd to none with her ! Most rides allow person's in wheelchairs to go in the out door. Have a great time !

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter