Wheelchair resources

Twin princess

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in March with our extended family (13 people!). My niece is in a wheelchair and I want to make this the most magical trip possible.

I understand there is a Disney publication on accessing rides, etc. with a wheelchair. How do I find that or other resources (besides this wonderful board!)?

Thanks!

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave2:
Disney does have a publication called the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. There is one for each park, but it's sort of very basic information and most people don't find it all that helpful. Here's a link to the disabilities FAQs page from the official Disney site. It has a link to the text of the guidebooks for each park. Here's a link to the Mainstream line list from the Disney site.
Mainstream lines are the ones where wheelchair users wait in the same line as everyone else.
For the actual boarding process, Disney doesn't have any information, other than the list of rides where someone can stay in the wheelchair (those attractions have a car that can carry a wheelchair or they are shows where the wheelchair can be parked). A lot of what you neice can do will depend on whether or not she can get out of her wheelchair. Someone who can get out and walk a few steps can ride a lot. Someone who needs to stay in the wheelchair at all times is more limited.
Most of the rides with moving walkways can be slowed or stopped temporarily for boarding (exceptions are Peter Pan and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority). Here's a
link to a past DIS Board thread about boarding rides that gives a lot of information.

If you have questions about any particular rides, just post here and someone will give you the lowdown about how that ride boards.

You mentioned that there would be 13 in your party so I wanted to mention that to use alternate entrances ( needed sometimes for guests in wheelchairs) you are allowed to bring a maximum of 6 in your party including the disabled guest. This won't pertain to obtaining fastpasses or mainstream lines though. ---Kathy

You mentioned that there would be 13 in your party so I wanted to mention that to use alternate entrances ( needed sometimes for guests in wheelchairs) you are allowed to bring a maximum of 6 in your party including the disabled guest. This won't pertain to obtaining fastpasses or mainstream lines though. ---Kathy
I knew there was something I missed pointing out.
There are some places where they may ask you to have only one or two people accompanying the person with a wheelchair. Some of the alternate entrance waiting areas are very small and won't accomidate larger parties. For some of the shows, the seat arrangement is a wheelchair spot, plus 2 or 3 spaces for another person, then another wheelchair spot, with space for 2 or 3 people. If they let a large party stay together in the wheelchair area, it means that less people with wheelchairs can be accomidated. The same thing for the wheelchair viewing spots for parades and Illuminations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter