• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When did DL security become so tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also personally witnessed a couple of guests trying to bring in concealed handguns into Disneyland. They were pissed that they weren't allowed to bring them in but Disney security didn't budge. They were told to take them back to their cars (I guess both times they were not staying on property).

Why didn't they just use a drone to drop the guns in a remote corner of the park if they really wanted their AR-15s in the park to protect themselves?

Why didn't they just use a drone to drop the guns in a remote corner of the park if they really wanted their AR-15s in the park to protect themselves?

My husband is a private pilot and there is also a gigantic no-fly zone over Disneyland. Commercial flights *may* be allowed, but private pilots are definitely NOT.

My husband is a private pilot and there is also a gigantic no-fly zone over Disneyland. Commercial flights *may* be allowed, but private pilots are definitely NOT.

Private pilots can't VFR into the TFR, but they absolutely can if directed by ATC! There's videos on YouTube from helicopter pilots who radioed in asking for flight following (during the pandemic shut down and reduced airspace volume) and requesting the transit through the TFR, and then getting it. The video is awesome (and rare).

He requests the TFR transit early in the video, and he gets to DLR at about 8:40 in the video.

EDIT: I watched it again, and it reminded me of the first time I watched it, and I got really sad, because we really didn't know when the park would reopen again. Some dark times, there.

EDIT 2: He did it again this time with DCA

Last edited:
Private pilots can't VFR into the TFR, but they absolutely can if directed by ATC! There's videos on YouTube from helicopter pilots who radioed in asking for flight following (during the pandemic shut down and reduced airspace volume) and requesting the transit through the TFR, and then getting it. The video is awesome (and rare).

He requests the TFR transit early in the video, and he gets to DLR at about 8:40 in the video.

EDIT: I watched it again, and it reminded me of the first time I watched it, and I got really sad, because we really didn't know when the park would reopen again. Some dark times, there.

I remember watching this during the height of lockdown and loving the small glimpse of something to make us smile during those dark times. I think the more eerie videos of his were when he would pass by the empty beaches.

I remember watching this during the height of lockdown and loving the small glimpse of something to make us smile during those dark times. I think the more eerie videos of his were when he would pass by the empty beaches.

It made you smile? I was about to freaking cry, and I'm a grown **** man!

I was literally showing my kid this video going, "Look... it's okay... Disneyland is still there nice and safe, see? It's waiting for us to come back."

Honestly, the way the country is now, I'm so relieved by it. If I can go one place and not worry about a mass shooting, that's a perk. Sad, but true.

I agree, but it's sad when you realize the hotels are still a target because they are outside the bubble. We stayed at the GCH last weekend. At one point, as we were walking to our room on the 4th floor, we looked down and saw 8 security guards stationed on the third floor overlooking the lobby. They were placed in such a way that it was clear they were on "lookout" duty, although you cant see them when you are down in the lobby. When I saw that, I felt my stomach drop with the realization that we truly aren't safe anywhere. It's so exhausting.

It made you smile? I was about to freaking cry, and I'm a grown **** man!

I was literally showing my kid this video going, "Look... it's okay... Disneyland is still there nice and safe, see? It's waiting for us to come back."
We were using it as something to look forward to after we made it through lockdown. So yeah, it made me smile to see Disneyland from way up high and thinking back on all the happy memories we had from previous visits. I knew we'd make it back there someday and we finally did this past June.

They are not sniffing for drugs, they're explosives detecting dogs. My husband was alerted on and they asked him if he had any explosives or gunpowder on him, which of course he didn't. The dogs aren't always right. They let my husband go after him simply saying "no." They didn't search him or anything.

Then that's kind of pointless. Who's going to say "yes, I do"? lol

FWIW the security at Disneyland Paris is a *significant* step up from the US parks. They inspected the car that brought us to our hotel, all luggage & packages we brought back to our hotel had to go through scanners prior to entry into the hotel *every time* we returned. We went through security upon our first arrival at the hotel. LOTS of visible security personnel everywhere: from the hotels, shuttles, DTD etc. Extra security into the Downtown area or entry into the park... We had to fill out security paperwork prior to our arrival at the hotel.

I've also personally witnessed a couple of guests trying to bring in concealed handguns into Disneyland. They were pissed that they weren't allowed to bring them in but Disney security didn't budge. They were told to take them back to their cars (I guess both times they were not staying on property).
OMG some people are idiots. What passes for their brains?

Part of security is human intelligence surveying. People behave differently when they are lying or nervous. Clearly they didn't find my husband's behavior suspicious or alarming.

These dogs sometimes hit on someone /something incorrectly. My husband has worked with explosive detecting military dogs while deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq and they absolutely do not hit with 100% accuracy.

Also, part of security is not doing things exactly the same way all the time. If security screening becomes too predictable, then it’s easier for someone with bad intentions to circumvent. So they change things up and add a bit of randomness.

This is why sometimes you’ll see people complaining that a fiend was able to sneak in a vape pen, but when they tried it themselves security was incredibly harsh. Or someone complaining that security did an extensive search of every pocket and coin purse their grandma had while another person got only a cursory search.

They will purposefully change up what they are focusing on and how they are approaching things just to create some variety.

So, just because security asks one person only a follow-up question, doesn’t mean they will always do that. Another person may get a more extensive search, or that same person might get an extensive search on a different day.

Also, part of security is not doing things exactly the same way all the time. If security screening becomes too predictable, then it’s easier for someone with bad intentions to circumvent. So they change things up and add a bit of randomness.

This is why sometimes you’ll see people complaining that a fiend was able to sneak in a vape pen, but when they tried it themselves security was incredibly harsh. Or someone complaining that security did an extensive search of every pocket and coin purse their grandma had while another person got only a cursory search.

They will purposefully change up what they are focusing on and how they are approaching things just to create some variety.

So, just because security asks one person only a follow-up question, doesn’t mean they will always do that. Another person may get a more extensive search, or that same person might get an extensive search on a different day.
Me quite literally a few hrs apart. When I went thru security the first time they let me thru, I went out to Trader Sams and when I tried to go back to my hotel thru DTD security flagged my tiny swiss army knife (literally tiny, it was 3 tools) and wouldn't let me go thru. Which is fine, it's on me for forgetting I had it in my bag. For reference, not even the TSA has flagged that tiny swiss.

Kinda wish they had flagged it the first time so I could have returned it to the hotel right at the beginning of the day and not the end haha.

Me quite literally a few hrs apart. When I went thru security the first time they let me thru, I went out to Trader Sams and when I tried to go back to my hotel thru DTD security flagged my tiny swiss army knife (literally tiny, it was 3 tools) and wouldn't let me go thru. Which is fine, it's on me for forgetting I had it in my bag. For reference, not even the TSA has flagged that tiny swiss.

Kinda wish they had flagged it the first time so I could have returned it to the hotel right at the beginning of the day and not the end haha.
The tiny swiss knives really get my goat. You are more deadly with a ball point pen (well I am at least) than with that knife which has a small blade (like 1.75"), nail file, and scissors. It's a horrible restriction for a TOOL, not a weapon. Hell, I still remember when they confiscated my daughter's transparent bubble gun that THEY sold me, because it was considered a gun to them.

I also have little faith in the dogs being a preventive measure. Drug/Explosive sniffing dogs have an 85% failure rate and respond to their handlers more than relying on their nose. More theater IMHO. If they wanted actual security they'd have xray machines and millimeter scanners like the APs (and even those aren't terribly effective). Behavioral queues are a better indicator of intention to do something wrong.

Was this during lock down? It was probably allowed because no one was in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter