When do the Turtles Hatch on Vero Beach?

WelcomeHome

Mouseketeer
What's the best time of year to see this event? Are there any "negative side effects" for going to Vero Beach at this time?

Best wishes,
Dave

What's the best time of year to see this event? Are there any "negative side effects" for going to Vero Beach at this time?

Best wishes,
Dave

Well....it is illegal to do walks to watch hatchlings emerge because it is extremely dangerous for them. There are no lights along the beach, and no flashlights are allowed because they interfere with the hatchlings ability to make it to the sea - and the lack of visibility makes it extremely likely that anyone walking along the beach at night during hatching season will accidentally step on hatchlings.

Guided turtle walks are given on a limited basis during nesting season - and they'll set up red lights to allow you to watch the turtle lay eggs (it's amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

That said, you've got a good chance of seeing hatchlings that did not quite make it during naturalist walks (Turtle Troops) the following morning. It's just the night hatching that should not be viewed.

Nesting season is June-August with hatchlings emerging 60 days later - so starting in August and going through October.

Negatives of visiting in hatching season:
1. Unsafe to walk along the beach at night
2. No See Um season
3. Hurricane season
4. Heat

If sea turtles interest you - I'd suggest going in mid-late June.:thumbsup2 The weather is better and the noseeums are not as bad!

I haven't found a particular one for this year, but places begin taking reservations for June in May. This would be for an official beach turtle walk with an environmentalist. My family would like to do one, so I've been checking out web sites and trying to decide which would be best.

They are laying eggs in June, and I think if you go in late August, September they would be hatching. The little one's numbers often get decimated by huricanes.

Bobbi

Negatives of visiting in hatching season:
1. Unsafe to walk along the beach at night

Just want to emphasize this. I walked into a rock the size of a soccerball and broke my toe 2 years ago :sad2: said some really bad words (really loud) and there were turtles just scampering eveywhere. It was pure chaos..... Nooo little turtles... don't go that way!

Just kidding... there were no turtles around. Didn't know it was illegal either. I'll have to try to remember that.

Just kidding... there were no turtles around. Didn't know it was illegal either. I'll have to try to remember that.

We walked the beach at night early August - it was DARK!! I had no idea about the baby turtles and not being allowed to walk the beach until we went to the CCS turtle program at the state park and I asked about signing up for a walk to see hatchlings and had the biologists gaze at me in HORROR :scared1: and explain that nobody is allowed watch baby sea turtles because they'll get stepped on.

I don't think it's strictly enforced - but I can see the biologist's point. I know that they are not allowed to do any sanctioned guided tours once the turtles start hatching because the babies are protected by endangered species legislation. It's so dark, I know could not have seen baby turtles in time to avoid an accidental step. :sad1:

At this point, I've attended enough turtle information sessions at HHI and VB to be really sensitive to the plight of the hatchlings. Have you played the DVC turtle game with the ping pongs where all the baby turtles die??? After that, I'm so not messing with the babies.:rotfl:

I haven't found a particular one for this year, but places begin taking reservations for June in May. This would be for an official beach turtle walk with an environmentalist. My family would like to do one, so I've been checking out web sites and trying to decide which would be best.

They are laying eggs in June, and I think if you go in late August, September they would be hatching. The little one's numbers often get decimated by huricanes.

Bobbi

I really like the one that the Caribbean Conservation Society does through the state park because you can reserve ahead of time and it's very informative. Scientists literally from all over the world come to Vero to track the turtles with them - and there's some connection to Archie Carr (who the preserve in Vero is named after).

Have you played the DVC turtle game with the ping pongs where all the baby turtles die???

:eek: NO!

No, I would not play that kind of game. I don't even play the games were people die.

I play games like... Dye the seal, trip the trap, spike the tree.... just kidding I wouldn't do that last one.

:hippie:

We walked the beach at night early August - it was DARK!! I had no idea about the baby turtles and not being allowed to walk the beach until we went to the CCS turtle program at the state park and I asked about signing up for a walk to see hatchlings and had the biologists gaze at me in HORROR :scared1: and explain that nobody is allowed watch baby sea turtles because they'll get stepped on.

I don't think it's strictly enforced - but I can see the biologist's point. I know that they are not allowed to do any sanctioned guided tours once the turtles start hatching because the babies are protected by endangered species legislation. It's so dark, I know could not have seen baby turtles in time to avoid an accidental step. :sad1:

At this point, I've attended enough turtle information sessions at HHI and VB to be really sensitive to the plight of the hatchlings. Have you played the DVC turtle game with the ping pongs where all the baby turtles die??? After that, I'm so not messing with the babies.:rotfl:

Well ok, that rules out the late nite walks on the beach I had planned for my August trip!! I guess I'll have to find something else to do......:goodvibes

:eek: NO!

No, I would not play that kind of game. I don't even play the games were people die.

I play games like... Dye the seal, trip the trap, spike the tree.... just kidding I wouldn't do that last one.

:hippie:

:rotfl: We were at HHI and attended the naturalist turtle information thing and they gave everyone a numbered ping pong ball that was supposed to stand for a turtle egg. DH leaned over and whispered - "just wait - we're all going to die."

I was like - "Dude, it's Disney - they're not going to kill the turtles in the game - this is just educational fun."

Well - sure enough - one by one numbers were called and it was explained how each one died. :scared1: I kept waiting for DD9 to start crying. I kept looking at her and whispering "it's the circle of life honey, it's just the circle of life".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter