When Do You Start Your Prepwork and Packing for a Trip to WDW?

A couple of months out I start making a list of things I need to take with. I really should just laminate that list, since it's almost always the same list! :rotfl: If I need/want to buy anything new, I make sure to get that purchase made early enough so I make sure I have it for the trip.
If we are going during a time when the weather can fluctuate a lot (Nov - Feb), I keep an eye on the weather forecast and then about a week before the actual trip I look at the weather forecast again and base my clothing options on whatever it says at that time. Then, throughout that week I keep an eye on the weather forecast and make any necessary adjustments.

As you can see from other's posts, you are definitely not weird and are definitely not alone on this one! :)

I start right after we get back from a WDW trip. We have two dedicated shelves in our closet that are Disney only...I have a laundry basket where odd ball things go to live as I buy them. New shoes, jackets and "clearance" plain tee shirts pile up waiting for unique iron on transfers and of course bags (Haunted Mansion "wallpaper" for this year), magic bands and EARS!

We got new Away large carry on suitcases and compression bags and I've "promised" LOL everything will fit in those two bags...F & W here we come! :rolleyes1 So no, you are no weirder than I am! :rotfl2:

I might buy/gather some items as I go once a trip is booked and do actual packing a day or two before or I might literally be packing as I need to walk out the door and hoping I do not have make a stop on vacation but what I forgot/need. It just depends on what is going on in my life at the time.

I pack the night before. I don’t have enough clothing to pack weeks in advance, lol. About a month before, I start buying suntan lotion, travel-size toiletries, etc. I also buy any clothing items I need. We leave on August 1st for a two-week trip and I need to get myself a new swim suit and a couple moisture wicking tops to wear while in Disney. I’m hoping for some good 4th of July sales.

We leave for our trip the same day you do! :wave2: I’ve been prepping in my head for a while (we only decided to go in mid-May) and buying needed supplies like ponchos, Tide Pods for the washer/dryer (DVC), sunblock, etc. and of course some new clothes ;) (I’ll use any excuse to do that!) and checking to ensure we’ll have enough of our prescription medications. I typed up my packing list yesterday (I need to check off as I pack). I love the planning part of a trip and don’t see it as a “chore”. I am just so happy to be going back to WDW after a 19-month enforced hiatus. I think we’ll enjoy this trip even more than usual.

@beccasmom for us, it's been since 2017 since we've been in the parks. I agree...I think we'll really enjoy this trip more than usual, thanks to the pandemic. Thanks, also, for jogging my memory about the need for laundry detergent! I added it to my Shipt order after I read your post! Where are you staying? Have a magical trip!

I start prepping as soon as I book a trip. I start with a packing list on Google docs. I have a rubbermaid tote in my closet just for travel stuff (ponchos, special shirts, magic bands, ears, etc). I add to it slowly... I have a "need to buy" list on Google docs and go from there. I don't pack until the day before we leave though. Already started ours for Dec 2021.

Well...we like to Disneybound or wear themed shirts, almost all of which I make, so um...I start planning as soon as I know we're going and start sewing or cricut-ing shortly thereafter because otherwise I have to repeat our 2015 trip, when we decided to go exactly 8 days before we left and I spent literally all of Thanksgiving week sewing pants and vests and making ears!

You all have given me so many ideas for packing! Thank you so much! Keep the ideas coming! We have just under a month until we go! :)

Like others have said, I have a section in a wardrobe that is all travel stuff like toiletries, plug adapters, cables etc. I then have a plastic bin with all my Disney accessories like ears, Loungefly bags etc. I then have a couple of small storage boxes with all my "Disney" clothes in like things for Disney-bounding, t-shirts etc. that I wouldn't usually wear in everyday life. I'm trying to condense all the Disney stuff into one storage bin but it's easier said than done 😆 I have a spreadsheet that I use for all my packing for any trip, so about a month out I go through all the travel stuff and make sure I have everything I need. I have a separate tab for Disney trips because you don't need to take ears on a trip to anywhere else! I then pack about 3 days before I go because I'm always paranoid that I'm going to forget something and it gives me enough time to track down anything I've forgotten to get.

I must admit I'm constantly looking around to find things that I might want to take to Disney because I like dressing up and immersing myself in the magic.

I am glad its not just me. Similar to what others have said, weeks or months before a trip, I will make (or update) a list of every single item I think I need to take with me, along with every task that needs to get done in order to go on the trip. I will gradually start pre-packing the items and cross them off the list. Not only does it help remind me the trip is coming, it eliminates the last minute scramble to figure out what to pack and it should hopefully eliminate any emergency trips off property to Walgreens/Target to buy something I forgot.

My prepwork begins with trying to lose any weight gained since the last trip.>:( This is followed closely by purchasing new shoes I can break in well before the trip.

I put together a list about a week before the trip and purchase any items (specifically toiletries) that are needed. The real purpose of the list is to pare down the clothes as I have a habit of overpacking.

I typically pack the night before we leave.

I'm going in August and have a decent sized pile building of the "special" stuff needed specifically for WDW. I need to put it into a container because it is spilling over!

My regular packing I'll do day-before (lots of laundry also day-before; I fold then immediately put into a suitcase) or day-of. I keep a packing document to list everything my family needs for EVERY trip we take to make sure I don't forget stuff, I just have to multiply clothes for the number of days. I created this when my kids were really young and I was super frazzled and was constantly forgetting to bring SOMETHING on the trip. I also keep a second set of toiletries for everyone continually packed and stored with the suitcases so I just need to refill anything that is close to running out and then any medications we need to bring with us. And I usually do the refills right away when we return from a trip instead of checking before we go.

Ridiculously far in advance, just purely out of excitement and the fact that I want to feel like I'm DOING something. Next trip is like 10 months away and I already have a preliminary packing list. Because I'm that kind of psycho.

Ridiculously far in advance, just purely out of excitement and the fact that I want to feel like I'm DOING something. Next trip is like 10 months away and I already have a preliminary packing list. Because I'm that kind of psycho.

No really that is perfectly normal. At least in people that might visit a place like this.
Read the Unusual things to pack thread, and add stuff to your list.

My prepwork begins with trying to lose any weight gained since the last trip.:( This is followed closely by purchasing new shoes I can break in well before the trip.
THIS! I came back from Disney March 16, 2020. Since then I've gained the Covid 19 for sure. I'll be working on shedding some pounds for the next 394 days until my next Disney trip!

I used to collect and bring all kinds of stuff, but on our last trip I decided we just need clothes, zip lock bags, phone accessories, and toiletries. We are going carry on only and packing light. I am tired of navigating all the junk, and I will pay the upgrade for sunblock at disney when my TSA approved bottles run out. Even with all my planning and packing we never need all the stuff I brought and I always have to buy more stuff anyway.

I am thinking hard about the REI laundry soap sheets, though....

We start some things months before like you... all the things that I buy just for Disney. Our Disney trip shirts and gift cards start as soon as the trip as booked. I dont want to forget anything that I dont normally buy so those go in my Disney bag first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter