When does a party size become too tricky to get ADR'S?

tinkandonaldfans

DIS Veteran
We will be celebrating our wedding over in Disney in Sept 2011 and will have a few family members coming also.

We would like to do a few table services with them but have only ever booked tables for 2 so don't know how easy it is to get tables for larger groups. So my question is, how big is a party size where ADR's are hard to get? Is it 5+?, would it be better to stick to bookings of 4? Is 6/8 hard?

I don't think we will ever be large enough to have to go through the group res number!

We travelled a few years ago as a party of 14. When I made the ADRs I just told them how many we had in our party, the restaurant, day and general time we were looking for and they told me whether or not we could be seated together or would have multiple tables. You may need to be more flexible with your times with a large party, but many restaurants can accomodate.

In case helpful, here are the restaurants where we ate and which we were together and separate:
* 'Ohana (both a dinner and a character breakfast) - one long table

* Cinderella's Royal Table Breakfast - technically 2 or 3 tables, but they were right next to each other, with half of us on a bench seat. This one had been booked by the CM as 2 ADRs about 10 minutes apart, but we checked in together and they seated us all together

* San Angel Inn dinner - one big table (although service was ghastly slow (dinner in July) - we've eaten there many times and never was it that bad)

* Mama Melrose (Fantasmic dinner pkg) - 2 tables, I think 6 and 8

* Rain Forest Cafe @AK lunch - 2 tables, 6 and 8

* Fulton's Crab House dinner - one long table

* Restaurant Marrakesh dinner - one long table

I have a family of 6 and have had no trouble getting reservations at any restaurant (I could have even booked Le Cellier if I wanted but I didn't like the times, but that pretty much happens for any party size.) I even had 7 during a past trip and didn't run into any problems.

We made many ADRs for a group of 9 last August without any trouble.

We have a group of 14 heading down for Thanksgiving and my birthday this year.

I just made my dining reservations this morning, including for Thanksgiving, without any problems.

I was unable to use the online system because it only allows you to book parties of 10 or less. I called the regular dining line and they were very helpful. There are a few places that we will need to be put at smaller tables, due to the way the restaurant is set up, but we are ok with that since you really only get to talk with those close to you anyway. We will just "rotate" our groups at these places so that everyone gets to eat together at one meal or another. (Not rotate during the meal, but with the different meals - make sense?)

Here's were we are planning:

CRT
WCC
Cape May Cafe
CM
CP
Tusker House
Yak & Yeti
1900 Park Fare
Wave
Kona
Le Cellier
Mama Melrose

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!! on your wedding and good luck with the planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter