• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When hoping for AP rate, what do you book?

skuttle

DIS Veteran
We're going to WDW in December. Right now have the MYW plan booked. With the dining plan, it saves us some money.

I'm hoping AP rates come out. If they do, I'll have to change my reservations to room only with AP and of course, no dining plan. This would save us more money.

How do you normally book? Do you book room only and then change if AP rates don't come out? Or do you book a package that you can afford and then switch later. I'm not sure which is best. I hate to wate until the last minute and not be able to get what I want when rates come out. This way, I figure I have something booked that I can afford now.

I book what I can afford at the time and then if a code comes out that would allow me to upgrade to something nicer I will.

I book where I intend to stay whether I get an AP discount or not. I just pay rackrate. I also book early because I don't want to lose my room to anyone else.

I book where we can afford to stay just in case there is no AP, but there always has been. You can always switch resorts when AP rates come out. Here is a link for you to read on Mousesavers regarding MYW package vs. AP room only. This should help too.

http://www.mousesavers.com/packagevsap.html

We haven't booked a package for a really long time. It always works out cheaper for us the other way.

Good luck and enjoy!

I never book until AP rates come out. So far, I have always been able to book a room with AP rate.

When looking at the mousesaver comparison...make sure you plug in the correct AP rates. The last two releases were supposedly a flat $75 off a Deluxe....Mary's example takes off more than that a night for the AP side. It makes a difference; the AP side would only be $291 less than the MYW example with the current rate....if you use the plan the way the MYW sample family does. The difference between the two may be less than that if you use MYW differently and eat bfast in room, aren't doing a dinner show which would keep you from having to buy an extra dinner, etc.

If my math is off, PLEASE let me know. I've been crunching numbers all afternoon trying to justify the MYW dining plan....still hoping the free deal will be extended.

Atotty said:
When looking at the mousesaver comparison...make sure you plug in the correct AP rates. The last two releases were supposedly a flat $75 off a Deluxe....Mary's example takes off more than that a night for the AP side. It makes a difference; the AP side would only be $291 less than the MYW example with the current rate....if you use the plan the way the MYW sample family does. The difference between the two may be less than that if you use MYW differently and eat bfast in room, aren't doing a dinner show which would keep you from having to buy an extra dinner, etc.

If my math is off, PLEASE let me know. I've been crunching numbers all afternoon trying to justify the MYW dining plan....still hoping the free deal will be extended.

I believe Mary's example also shows the taxes - which would be less if your room rate is less, which is why there is more off than the flat $75 / night.

Oops after looking at Mary's example again - her example is regular season, which the AP discount for deluxes is $100 off a night.

I always book what I can afford and am willing to pay at the resort that I want. If rates come out I apply them, if they don't then I still know where I am staying and know that I can afford it.

I had to switch this last round because there aren't any rates for the FQ during my time frame so I would rather pay 89/night at the Coronado than 107/night at FQ. Small sacrifice but oh well.

We book what we know we are willing to spend for a place we are willing to stay. If rates come out, we will either upgrade or apply to where we are booked. :)

Usually I book at rack or AAA rate where I want to stay and can afford, then apply AP discount if it becomes available. I also have a list of at least two other resorts that I will switch to if they have AP discounts and my first choice doesn't.

I've been doing some number crunching on the free Dining Plan, and have reached the conclusion that it's best value is on the Value Resorts in regular season for a solo traveler (that's moi). The $35 per person (add-on cost if purchasing) exceeds the typical regular season AP discount of $20 per per night and slightly exceeds the typical value season AP discount of $30 per night, even when offsetting it by purchasing one single-day park ticket to make it into a "package." A family could save a bit at a moderate resort following the same formula, but it wasn't as cost effective as a 30% AP discount (if it materializes) for a solo traveler. I didn't crunch numbers on deluxe resorts.

If my November trip materializes, my poor TA has to deal with a number of what-ifs, which are all set out for her. I've made dual reservations (actually had to make 4 reservations) at the AAA rate for PC and POR and will cancel one when discounts are announced, based on the what-ifs. My reservations straddle regular and value season (1 night), so the analysis wasn't quite a straight forward as it could have been. Good thing my travel agent likes me! :)

I think my confusion this time re whether we booked the right way is due to the MYW package. Normally, we would just book room only and tickets seperately. With MYW tickets and dining plan, we come out better doing the package if we have to do rack rate. So if AP rates do come out, I'll have cancel and rebook everything as room only. It's just confusing since without AP, package works best. But I can use AP with the package so I'd have to cancel and rebook. Confusing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter