When is "fall drydock' and what exactly are they doing?

I found the below post on another thread and copied it here for you.

Dry dock (for the Magic) is this year (2003)
The dry dock is this year 2003 it is last week in September and 1st week in October. I heard the same about the moves. On May 17th cruise the captain spoke at the Castaway Club Members Reception of ESPN turning into Teen Lounge, Common Grounds turning into a Coffee House and OffBeat turning into a Sports Bar. I think it would be nice for a change.

I believe it is at the end of September/first of October (Disney Magic). I know that the cruise we are on, Oct 18th, is only the second cruise after dry dock. In addition to the normal events of dry dock (hull integrity, safety measures, etc.), they are turning the ESPN Skybox into the teen club, and the current teen club, Common Grounds, will be made into a coffee bar. That's about it as far as I know!

'Beano':cool:

Will they be painting, doing repairs and stuff like that? The ship is five years old, right? Does it show? Never have been on it.. Will be sailing 12/27/03 for the first time.

Noseybuddy, yes, the ship will be getting all sorts of routine maintenance and sprucing up. :) The ship definitely does NOT look its age, both the Magic and Wonder are kept in tiptop condition. They each go into routine dry dock every two years or so. :)

Yes, and it's really neat to see the Magic or Wonder up here in Norfolk VA for drydock!

I'm looking forward to sailing on the first cruise after dry dock this year--

HEY--you think they would let me hop aboard up here in Norfolk and cruise down to port with them so I can be onboard FIRST? :teeth: :teeth:

Well, it was worth a shot!

Sue Ellen

During drydock, the aft funnel will be repaired. The black superstructure at the top of the funnel that was damaged during the 3/02 fire will be replaced.

Sue Ellen .... Have you seen the Disney ships there before when in drydock? OMG that is sooooooooooo cool.

If you are going on the first cruise after drydock......isn't that the 10-11-03 Western. Come on over to our thread and join the CRUISETOBERFEST II bunch. There are 40+ families signed up and you'll be surprised at how much fun we are.

Cathy with @ C

ashking--I'm not in Norfolk, but not too far away.

@goofynut--I've posted a few times on the 10/11 thread. You guys post so much on there I get lost! :teeth:

I'm really looking forward to the Western Cruise again. We did the Western for Halloween last year and met some wonderful DISers.

Sue Ellen

I live about 10 minutes from the drydock in Norfolk. The last time the Magic was here I tried to get ahold of our last cabin steward to invite them over for dinner. I left a message but she didn't receive it until the ship pulled out.We will be on the Magic on August 16 so we will be sure to make arrangements to hook-up. It will be nice to return the favor with all the hard work they put in to see that we have a great time.

:Pinkbounc Sue ... please join our group. I know there is a lot of posting BUT that's just cause a lot of us have cruised before and know each other better. If you join you will have access to "The List" of all the others that have joined in ... their names, occupations and kids names, etc. It's fun. It helps break the ice and get to know your fellow cruisers.

Not to mention we do other DIS meets. For instance Aug 2 a bunch of us are getting together at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore for a 2 hour lunch cruise. Talk Disney, Dream Cruise and have some fun.

Cathy with @ C

We're cruising in September right before Drydock....you don't think the ship will appear "rundown" do you? I mean, they wouldn't start letting stuff go knowing it was going in for an over haul soon would they? We're hoping it looks as beautiful as the Wonder always does.

Hey Sonya! The ship looks as beautiful as ever! No worries!!!!!!

all you going on the ship right after drydock, please take lots of pictures of the new stuff and pretty pretty please post them! i want to know what all the areas(including the teen area) look like! i can't wait till my cruise to find out!

Jhondy - don't worry, we'll be getting lots of pictures. We're also on that first cruise after drydock and I can't wait to see everything. This will be my first Disney cruise, but I'm looking forward to the changes.

Is it worth the drive to go see the Magic in dry dock?

Good question! Anyone know if crew gets leave time?

Originally posted by jlawall
Good question! Anyone know if crew gets leave time?

On our cruise last week, we were talking to a few CM's and they told us that during the previous dry dock they did get a few days off and went to visit Washington, D.C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter