When should I let the airline know??

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
My husband and I booked non-refudable on Delta for this April.
And we just found out he can't go due to work.
How should I let Delta know he's not flying.
A) Call today and let them know.
B) Wait until online check-in.
C) Wait just before boarding that he's not going to be on flight.

Last edited:
I just did this with Delta and was told to not check in. Anyone not checked in by 45 minutes before flight, will have their seat go to someone else so not to worry.

How expensive is the ticket, is it something you are going to pay the change fee on to use at a later date?

If not, then dont say anything, why waste your time, they got their money

If it were me, I would not say a thing, I can not be bothered with that. And, what if something happens and all of a sudden he can go?

So, the question, in my mind is not HOW you should let delta know, its SHOULD. And the answer is no. It's no benefit to you to do so, and you are the customer.

If you don't show up, can you still use the credit for future travel (assuming it's not a basic economy ticket)? I know with Southwest, you lose the value if you don't show up within i think 10 minutes of departure.

If you don't show up, can you still use the credit for future travel (assuming it's not a basic economy ticket)? I know with Southwest, you lose the value if you don't show up within i think 10 minutes of departure.
Almost positive no you cant use it. You have to pay they 16,000$ change fee. But that is the variable to the question. If its worth it. My never are

OP are you both booked RT on the same ticket?

If both legs of travel were bought on a single ticket, missing/not showing up for the first flight tends to automatically cancel the second leg unless you notify them.

Not sure of Delta’s specific policy or how that works in general if two people are on exact same itinerary, but I’d definitely check with your carrier as to their policy.

I'm on economy ticket. We use my husband cc. 1 single purchase for 2 people RT.
Waiting for Delta to call me back.

Last edited:
Each ticket was only $173, and I'm not paying $200 just to cancel a ticket. They already have the money why charge more.

So I was able to get Delta to change the ticket without too much trouble.
They way they did.
Example
Original price $346
- $200 cancellation fee
$146 credit next flight

I just have to remember this the next time something like this happens. :teacher:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter