When should we eat dinner at Boma? A day we are at AK? Or an "off day"?

PDXmouse

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Swan. We want to have dinner at Boma one night, per DS's request.

Should we do it on a day when we are already at AK? It would mean we would have to leave the park, go to AKL, then either go *back* to the park... or just go home.

The other option is to get dining reservations on one of our "off days" when we don't have plans to go to any parks at all. (So sleep in, hang out by the pool, etc.)

When I was going to Jiko, before I canceled in favor of another restaurant, my plan was to go on my AKL day. AKL closes early, at 7pm, so it worked perfectly - stay at AK to close then to AKL. That’s what I would do; although going to Boma on a non-park day would work just fine, why not kill two birds with one stone ?

If you are going to the parks every day of your trip, you are going to have to leave the parks to go eat at Boma anyway. Being at AK makes it a lot easier just from a travel time standpoint alone. I usually eat at Boma on one my AK days. Boma is one of my favorite places to eat on property.

When I was going to Jiko, before I canceled in favor of another restaurant, my plan was to go on my AKL day. AKL closes early, at 7pm, so it worked perfectly - stay at AK to close then to AKL. That’s what I would do; although going to Boma on a non-park day would work just fine, why not kill two birds with one stone ?
This will be late June, early July. Will AK still close at 7 pm?

If you are going to the parks every day of your trip, you are going to have to leave the parks to go eat at Boma anyway. Being at AK makes it a lot easier just from a travel time standpoint alone. I usually eat at Boma on one my AK days. Boma is one of my favorite places to eat on property.
We aren’t going to be in the parks every day. We have three days scheduled for “no parks” right now. So I was thinking we could Uber to AKL for dinner.

If we leave AK to go to dinner at Boma, there are high odds we will not go back to AK after eating. So it it worth missing the last hour or two of the park hours?

We aren’t going to be in the parks every day. We have three days scheduled for “no parks” right now. So I was thinking we could Uber to AKL for dinner.

If we leave AK to go to dinner at Boma, there are high odds we will not go back to AK after eating. So it it worth missing the last hour or two of the park hours?
I think that depends on you and your vacation. Are you going during a busy time? What time does the park close? What time are you planning on eating dinner, etc. If you usually stay in the parks late, then book your dining on an off day.

I think that depends on you and your vacation. Are you going during a busy time? What time does the park close? What time are you planning on eating dinner, etc. If you usually stay in the parks late, then book your dining on an off day.
This will be late June, early July. I’m not sure what time AK will close?

If you have a "no park" day scheduled in your trip as you indicate, I would recommend doing your Boma meal on one of these "no park" days. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is a wonderful place, so beyond having your dinner at Boma, you could look at animals on the savanna, talk with cultural representatives to learn about their countries and the lodge itself, enjoy a game or craft in the recreation room, enjoy the art throughout the lodge, etc. You could spend an hour or two enjoying the lodge itself before/after your meal. Just be mindful of the time allowed for parking if you are driving your own car, or utilize Disney transportation to get to the lodge so you can stay as long as you'd like.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday and enjoy Boma (and the Jambo House)!

This will be late June, early July. Will AK still close at 7 pm?
I think AK always closes at 7? But even if it closes later for summer hours, you can leave the park whenever for AKL. It’s just much easier to do Boma on an AK day

This will be late June, early July. I’m not sure what time AK will close?
This is our typical time to go for our trips- and AK usually closes at 8pm. The hours so far are only posted through June 8th, but that first week of June the hours are 8 am to 8 pm. Our typical plan at AK is to get there for early opening and do FOP, Navi and Safari knocked out before the crowds build. We usually eat a late breakfast at Tusker House after riding a few more things and then leave to go back to the hotel.

You could easily do a lunch break at Boma and then head back to the park for closing to get in a few more rides with lower crowds- waits tend to drop again later in the afternoon. I would also say that lunch is a little less busy than dinner there, but it depends on how you want to structure your AK day.

I agree with the PP saying there is a lot to see at AKL as well. The cultural representatives and the Savanna are worth the trip- and it's a pretty short bus ride to the hotel from the park. However, you could make it an off day dinner just as easily and still enjoy those things!

We usually go every few years around holiday time and have Thanksgiving dinner at Boma around 4:30 pm which is our second day at AK and have seen everything we wanted so are finished. We take a few minutes to visit the animal areas at AKL before the meal. Just to give a heads up that at that resort they will not call a cab for you like others do so we have to take the bus back to the park to get the resort bus. Last time we stayed at CBR and can’t remember why instead we took the resort bus from AKL to HS and then went on the Skyliner.

This is our typical time to go for our trips- and AK usually closes at 8pm. The hours so far are only posted through June 8th, but that first week of June the hours are 8 am to 8 pm. Our typical plan at AK is to get there for early opening and do FOP, Navi and Safari knocked out before the crowds build. We usually eat a late breakfast at Tusker House after riding a few more things and then leave to go back to the hotel.

You could easily do a lunch break at Boma and then head back to the park for closing to get in a few more rides with lower crowds- waits tend to drop again later in the afternoon. I would also say that lunch is a little less busy than dinner there, but it depends on how you want to structure your AK day.

I agree with the PP saying there is a lot to see at AKL as well. The cultural representatives and the Savanna are worth the trip- and it's a pretty short bus ride to the hotel from the park. However, you could make it an off day dinner just as easily and still enjoy those things!
Boma doesn’t serve lunch. Breakfast and dinner only.

If you have 3 nonpark days, I would say head over to the Lodge on one of those days a couple hours before your reservation and enjoy all that it has to offer before your meal.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter