When was your first trip to WDW?

What was the year of your first trip to WDW (that you can remember)?

• 1973-74

• 1975-76

• 1977-78

• 1979-80

• 1981-1982

• 1983-84

• 1985-1989

• 1990 to 1994

• 1995 to 1999

• 2000 to 2004

• 2005 to present

Results are only viewable after voting.
June 1998 for me (right after high school graduation). I was in WDW once as a toddler, but since that is not part of this poll, I'm not going to count that trip. :)

My first trip to WDW was right after Christmas in 1975. I was 17 and a freshman in college on a 1 week vacation to WDW/Clearwater. We stayed at some offsite hotel but I have no idea which one. I remember it being very crowded.

My first Disney trip ever was June,1973 to Disneyland.

Mom and Dad gave me enough money to camp with two friends outside of WDW. This was my High School graduation present in June, 1975.

My memories of the MK monorail ride from the Transportation Center through the Contemporary stay with me daily.

We rode everything, including Space Mountain, which I remember had a long line...

Remember those ticket books?

Anyone else remember the Swan Boats?

Yes I do Caskbill. It's like a flash. The canal near Tomorrowland? Or am I totally making things up?

We went in the summer of 74'. Drove down. My brother and sister blew all their extra spending money on the first day. They went out on the speed boats and obviously didn't stop to calculate. They were shocked. But my parents didn't bail them out like a lot of parents would today. And they, and all of us, still had a fantastic vacation at the Contemporary.

How my firefighter father and stay-at-home mom afforded it all I do not know.

But so thankful for the introduction.

Great Thread!!! I was actually there in 1971 but the park was not officially opened. Do you all rememeber those Weekly Readers we got in grade school? I remember a Weekly Reader in third grade with a picture of the Mickey and characters topiaries on the front cover. We read all about this new park opening in Florida. That summer, we went on our yearly trip to visit friends and stopped in at the MK. I was so excited when I saw the topiaries because I realized that I read about it in a "famous" newspaper! Of course, the park was not open but I recall us taking some type of tour. There was a film with Walt Disney discussing the park and a minature village of the park on display. It opened the next summer and and we were there! Yippee!!! I remember Its a Small World, the Riverboat, Country Bear JAmboree and Splash Mountain. We ate at the Crystal Palace and I believe they served Italian food at that time. Any one remember? I know it was not a buffet or character meal.

I know--this is picky! I don't think you really remember Splash Mountain. I think it was opened around 1992.:rolleyes1 My younger son always made references to when we took the kids to the Statue of Liberty. Since we have never been to New York to see it my husband and I could not figure out what he meant. On a later trip to Mackinac Island in upper Michigan we were surprised to see a smaller replica of the Statue of Liberty. Of course, being Michiganders we had been to the island before. Guess the joke was on us.:laughing:

My sister was married on October 1, 1971 (opening day for WDW). She and her husband went to Disney World on their honeymoon, were not impressed, and never returned to Florida. They are now divorced. My first visit to WDW was in May 1973. After nearly 34 years and almost as many trips we have never wavered in our love for the Mouse House. The secret of a long and happy marriage is a shared love for all things Disney!:thumbsup2

My first trip was in 1976 and I was 18 years old. We stayed at the Polynesian. It's still my favorite resort. :)

It was April 1975. We had several area colleges that had Spring trips to Daytona Beach via a 24 hour straight bus ride! What a crazy trip! We took one day to visit Magic Kingdom...unfortunately at 19 we just wanted to go back to the beach and the GUYS!!! Years later my DH and I honeymooned at WDW in 1986. Have been going yearly since with my DH and 2 DS's.

If Southwest came to Philly earlier, I wonder how many visits I would have now.

November of 1982, just after EPCOT Center opened. My parents took us somewhere for our birthdays each year, and that was where I wanted to go, for my *18th* birthday. Never got to experience WDW as a child (lived in Germany), so I'm making up for lost time now w/ my own DDs. :thumbsup2

This year, I'll be there in November, celebrating the 25th anniversary of my 18th birthday (oh, and Epcot's 25th, too!)

Dec 1999 was my 1st trip. I was 34. My parents told me that we were headed there way back in the early 70s, but me and my siblings were fussing so much, we didnt make it past the next town away from where we live:sad1:
DW tried to get me to go on our honeymoon way back in 1990, but I didnt want too. What a dunce I was:confused3

It was 1976 with my parents and younger brother. I was 14. We stayed just off property at the Hyatt(?). I was completely taken with WDW. I remember lots of details, but fondly remember the bicentenial parade and decorations.

I still have ticket coupon booklets from that trip with several coupons left over. Hard to believe....I could have riden Pirates again. Those ticket booklets are still my favorite WDW souvenirs.

Mickey

It's interesting that so many DISers go so far back to "the good ole days."

I waited for 5 years for the park to open. when Walt died I thought the park would, too. :guilty: We went in 1972 just before I turned 13. I had begged my parents for a year ever since it opened. (Don't know why I didn't include 1971 in the poll -- I knew it opened that year.) We couldn't afford a motel so we camped at "Jellystone" campground. After that I went 4 or 5 times a year. It was 4 hours from our house via the turnpike and 192, which was pretty much a barren road back then. I went with anyone who would go. Went to Epcot 8 days after it opened. Now I live too far away, but then Florida isn't the place I grew up in.

Neither is WDW.

Oh, well. I still love it.:wizard:

opening day 10/71 or was it 11/71? me and gf drove down from jax, bought our booklet of tickets (for the rides), and stood in long lines. cinderellas' castle was not finished, therefore was not open. remember riding the racetrack ride, going to the haunted mansion, and riding the gondola across the park. rode monorail to CR, and had dinner, before the park was closed down, so the celebs and dignitaries could have the run of the park that night. had many tickets leftover, but never used them, as i went into the service 12/71, and didn't go back for many years. wish i still had the ticket booklet. does anyone from the early days remember them? what would they be worth today?

April 1978.I was 8 and we drove from MA in the family motorhome:) We stayed at Jellystone campground the first night. Once we saw Fort Wilderness we got lucky and made the switch. I remember my father's excitment watching his 4 small children "freak out" with happiness.

We went on to stay in Ft. Wilderness every April for the next 10 years.

These are some of my best childhood memories.

Fast forward to today...We are not camping (yet) but we are DVC members!!! I look forward to taking my own children to WDW every April too:woohoo:

60% so far from the 70's? Great stories to read-wish I had one to tell.:sad1:

opening day 10/71 or was it 11/71? ,,,,,

:worship:

April 1978.I was 8 and we drove from MA in the family motorhome:) We stayed at Jellystone campground the first night. Once we saw Fort Wilderness we got lucky and made the switch. I remember my father's excitment watching his 4 small children "freak out" with happiness.

We went on to stay in Ft. Wilderness every April for the next 10 years.

These are some of my best childhood memories.

Fast forward to today...We are not camping (yet) but we are DVC members!!! I look forward to taking my own children to WDW every April too:woohoo:

Another Jellystoner. Alright.

Having Yogi and ****oo come by at suppertime just doesn't cut it, does it?

My first trip was in October of 1974. I was a huge Alice in Wonderland fan (still am). Alice was my hero. I pretended to be her all the time, listened to the record constantly, knew all the songs by heart. My father really encouraged my love of Alice.

My little brother was born March of that year, and for my birthday, my father convinced my mom that I needed to go and meet Alice. They took my baby brother to stay with my grandmother, and I got my first trip to Disney.

I was thrilled to be at Disney, but Alice could not be found anywhere. There were the teacups - but no actual Alice. Finally, at the end of the day, they took me to see the Mickey Mouse Revue and, lo and behold ------ Alice appeared, and even sang my favorite song. My father says that he felt me squeeze his hand, and when he looked over, I was crying silently because I was so happy to see her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter