Where did you use your points the very first time, and why?

If you can make a stay at your home resort work, stay there. I think there is a bond that develops with that first stay. As the years roll by, you may find that the 11 month window becomes very important during busy DVC seasons. Feeling happy to be at your home resort, when switching to another doesn't work out, is very comforting.

yeahthat.gif
kboo...Hopefully you bought a resort that you want to stay at a lot. With your children at those ages, you will love the easy access to MK and the easy access back to your resort for naps.

kboo...Hopefully you bought a resort that you want to stay at a lot. With your children at those ages, you will love the easy access to MK and the easy access back to your resort for naps.
We do love BLT (home resort) but now wondering whether we should have just bought more points to begin with... we have some extra points so we are planning 2 trips in 2018, and I wanted to have some points leftover for the later trip. Doing 2 trips when we want to, at least one stay would need to be in a studio and the second trip could be in an AKL or BWV 1BR. But now I'm wondering if we should just splurge and book a larger room than a studio for our first stay at BLT, and then rent or borrow points for the later trip.

We do love BLT (home resort) but now wondering whether we should have just bought more points to begin with...

This is a very common affliction for us DVC owners. We originally bought one contract from Disney and ended up doubling our points via the resale market.

... we have some extra points so we are planning 2 trips in 2018, and I wanted to have some points leftover for the later trip. Doing 2 trips when we want to, at least one stay would need to be in a studio and the second trip could be in an AKL or BWV 1BR. But now I'm wondering if we should just splurge and book a larger room than a studio for our first stay at BLT, and then rent or borrow points for the later trip.

If you think you will be buying more points in the future, then it would make sense to book the 1BR now. But if you're not sure, then I'd stay in the studio first then upgrade to the 1BR on a future trip. That way, the family "wow factor" will continue to increase. And once you stay in a 1BR, it's challenging to go back to studios!

Based on the fact that you are a BLT owner, I'm assuming you bought your BLT contract via the resale market. If you are planning on buying more points you might want to consider buying 25-50 points (whichever is their minimum buy these days) direct from Disney to take advantage of the DVC membership perks. It's not a big deal, but things like the EPCOT DVC members lounge and other perks might be nice to have over the course of your contract. Good luck! :)

We stayed at Beach Club. It was available and it was September. We loved the pool.

The rest of our trips have been the Grand. Why? Because it is the Grand and we love it. (We own at the GF.)

First trip on points was staying GC because VGC wasn't built yet! Points usage worked out to a be a value of approx $7.20/point so I was happy. First DVC resort trip was an OKW/BCV split because that is what had availability for December in the 2 Bedrooms when booking approx 5 1/2 to 6 months ahead of time.

We became owners in December of 2015 (BCV - June UY). We had planned on booking a trip to BCV for November 2016. When I got my contract, there were 78 points that had to be used by May 31, 2016. Being the good DVCer that I am, I couldn't have those points go to waste, so I booked a trip for Mother's Day weekend. BCV was booked, given the short notice. I was able to book a 1 bedroom at BWV. Loved it.

This is a very common affliction for us DVC owners. We originally bought one contract from Disney and ended up doubling our points via the resale market.

If you think you will be buying more points in the future, then it would make sense to book the 1BR now. But if you're not sure, then I'd stay in the studio first then upgrade to the 1BR on a future trip. That way, the family "wow factor" will continue to increase. And once you stay in a 1BR, it's challenging to go back to studios!

Based on the fact that you are a BLT owner, I'm assuming you bought your BLT contract via the resale market. If you are planning on buying more points you might want to consider buying 25-50 points (whichever is their minimum buy these days) direct from Disney to take advantage of the DVC membership perks. It's not a big deal, but things like the EPCOT DVC members lounge and other perks might be nice to have over the course of your contract. Good luck! :)

Right now I'm obsessing (a little) over the fact the DD2 will still be in a pack and play or crib when we go in 2018, and we're probably only using points for a studio. It shouldn't be a problem when she's big enough to share the sofa bed with her older sister, but right now I'm wishing the studio had the pull down Murphy bed and we could leave the couch folded up.

Our first stay as owners will be in October at AKV, in a savannah view studio in Kidani Village. We own at SSR, but have stayed there before using my parents' points, so we wanted to stay somewhere new. I tried to book Poly, which is where I REALLY want to stay, but couldn't get anything at 7 months out. We're on a waitlist at Poly, but I booked the AKV room to have just in case because we really want to stay someplace new. It's just DH and I, no kids, so a studio is all we need.

We do love BLT (home resort) but now wondering whether we should have just bought more points to begin with... we have some extra points so we are planning 2 trips in 2018, and I wanted to have some points leftover for the later trip. Doing 2 trips when we want to, at least one stay would need to be in a studio and the second trip could be in an AKL or BWV 1BR. But now I'm wondering if we should just splurge and book a larger room than a studio for our first stay at BLT, and then rent or borrow points for the later trip.
...or just buy another contract.

:0

We joined last year and our points hit the account in July. We have a DEC UY and the contract came with 46 points that had previously been banked and had to be used prior to 12/1/16. I figured it was fate since BCV for Choice Season could get 3 nights for exactly 46 points. It. was. perfect.

Until I logged into the DVC account and searched the RAT (resort availability tool) and discovered that you can't get BCV studios less than 4 months from date of arrival. I then pieced together a four night stay for just my wife and myself as an early anniversary trip and we left the two DDs at home with the GPs.

First night -- Studio in BLT
2nd night -- 1 BR at AKV-kidani
3rd and 4th night -- 1 BR at BCV

Originally had 3rd night at BWV -- but my waitlist for BCV somehow came thru.

I would not recommend doing three moves in three days. It was doable with just the two of us -- but with kids it would be a nightmare.

With that said, I'm glad we did it b/c it allowed us to see three different resorts and really figure out how to travel from different parks to different resorts. We walked from BLT to MK and back. We took buses from contemporary to AK and then from AK to AKV. Buses from AKV to Epcot and walked from Epcot to BCV. Walked from BCV to DHS and then took boat from DHS to BCV...and then walked back and forth to epcot a few times, while also walking around the boardwalk and to swalphin.

We were exhausted by the third day though and after walking all morning at Epcot, we lucked out and got an early arrival at BCV and crashed at 2 pm in our hotel room for a good 3 or 4 hours.

My takeaways from the trip:
My favorite room was AKV. Love the theme and the 1 BRs are very large compared to the others.
Favorite location was BLT if you have kids -- BCV with adults going to Epcot.
Best balcony views -- Savannah at AKV is amazing.

Wasn't a fan of AKV overall since you have to take buses to go everywhere and our room was near the very end of the long hallway. Pulling luggage on carpet that distance (~400 yards) after a long day at the parks was not an experience I want to do again. We also lugged the luggage down the very next morning since we didn't want to wait on bell services to collect them for our split stay transfer. If they could guarantee me a room close to the lobby elevators, then I would stay there again in a heartbeat, as the actual resort is so nice. Or maybe I just need a segway or something.

Own at SSR and love that resort, but I bought there for financial and length of contract reasons. So, I booked my first stay at the Grand Floridian. To me, it is the cream of the crop and I feel like I made a steal staying at the Grand on SSR points/

Bought in July 2013. Contract was for Feb. DVC gave me a full allotment of points (200) for '13. So I banked them. Decided to take my sister-who had just beat Cancer, and her family in 2014.
9 of us total were going & this was her very first visit. Cost 387 points for a week at a 2BR Lake View at BLT. Was well worth it!!

Majority of our trips have been where we own/want to stay. Upcoming trip is to try out the Poly, reconnaissance mission:)

Bought WL when it 'was' the MK resort. Haven't stayed there much in last few years, using those points to add onto other reservations typically @ 7 month mark, gifting to family to use or relative last minute trips that usually equate to SSR.

A few times enjoyed flipping over to BCV from BWV, have been looking for a small resale there for over 10 years...akin to finding a unicorn lol.

OP enjoy your membership!

I own at AKV. Our first stay was at Kidani in a one bedroom, savannah view. It was just my son and I at the time. He slept on the sleeper sofa in the living room and i had the master.

The reason I chose to stay there for our first trip is simple - I bought where I could see our family wanting to return to time and time again. I love some of the other resorts too for different reasons. Our first ever Disney World trip was at BC where we've stayed twice and holds a special place in my heart. We love the Polynesian and will be staying there for two weeks in September. I'm also curious about GCV, so I'm sure we'll stay there one of these days.
Staying at AKV is a unique experience. If we want to stay at a non home resort but can't get the dates we need at the seven month mark, we're never disappointed and are happy to stay at AKV.

That being said, our needs have changed a bit. My sons are all adults now, so having their own room is more important than in the past. Moving forward, I'll need to to book a two bedroom or two studios.

1st Stay:
Bought in June '93, OKW was the only resort that was DVC.
During the discussions, informed CM that we had been burnt by a previous timeshare purchase.
We would sign only if we could get a reservation within the first 10 days (cancellation period). CM got us a reservation as part of the closing process for the next weekend, we did not even talk with MS for that first stay.
We were so glad that DVC turned out to be everything we were expecting and told it is/was.

We were such rookies.:lmao: I had barely discovered the DISboards. We bought at SSR and in Jan. we booked a week in a studio for that summer at OKW to try to preserve points to bank to use on a 3 n. cruise on the Wonder for the following year. It was only after we did it that we learned we weren't huge fans of OKW (I was practically in tears about "what have we done" AND we figured out that we wasted a whole year and 3/4 worth of points for 3 nights in a Cat. 10. SINCE then we have realized that cruising on points is usually a BAD value and if we book OKW to save a buck we have to suck it up and remember that we did it to be frugal. Thankfully with the addition of AKV and the new booking categories at SSR it's almost as even to book a std. view at SSR or AKV so we wouldn't be saving all that much to book OKW.

FWIW we stayed at BLT once over a spring break trip and we really enjoyed the convenience. We are a family of 3. The studios there ARE small HOWEVER the views can be spectacular and the kitchenette is fabulously HUGE and knocks that out of the park for convenience. We just don't have a whole ton of points and we try to get 2 or 3 trips a year on what we DO own so that was the only time we stayed there. I see your husbands point...and YOUR point but if you go somewhere else THIS time then you must stay there the next time!!!

Disney Vacation Club Resort , November 1992, me, my wife, my daughter ( 5 at the time, she turns 30 this week) and my Mom. Room 2625. Little did we know that we would lose my Mom just 3+ years later. So glad we bought and she had the chance to be there a number of times.

Like BillPA said, that resort holds a special place in our family's hearts. Welcome Home.

mac_tlc

Last edited:
We stayed at SSR. Our points are at VWL but we had purchased a small contract that was kind of stripped. Even though we made our first purchase in May 2009 our first stay (kind of last minute) was October 2010.

Bought points in November of 2000 while staying at the Poly on cash and came back for Xmas in our BWV Boardwalk View - we got the new owner one time special where they got us in last minute.

Except for trying out the new resorts my go to resort is still always BWV - that's home for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter