Where to I begin? What do I need to know?

Momof4girls

DIS Veteran
We're old veterans of WDW now, but I need some info on Disneyland. We're heading out west this February and decided to surprise the kids with a stop at Disneyland and California Adventure before we go home :D

What's the best place to get a ticket? (price-wise)

How do the parks compare to WDW - is Disneyland like MK and I need a good two days there? Should we plan three days total for the two parks or two days? (We have small kids and don't usually do thrill rides).

What are the must-eats? We love good food!

Do I need ADRs out there?

What else should I know? :)

Thanks!!!!

Tickets can be bought many places, though since I have an AP, I'mnot sure where best deals are- you'll want a 3-day park hopper pass for sure.

If you want a character meal, then yes, you should make PS (DL calls them Priority Seatings). If your girls like Princesses then Ariel's Grotto in DCA is great!

Best advice- get to the park EARLY :) And HAVE FUN!

Maybe even 4 if you can swing it. That way you can see all the shows, plus do all the rides, and have a little down time.

I also know that my 4 kids always want to go back and do their favorites -- and you want a little time for that.

Don't miss California Adventure -- it gets a bad rap from some, but we love it! The girls will especially love the animation building. You could spend hours in there, and it is really nice and cool.

My food suggestions: (Unfortuneately, there is not the number of choices of places to eat like WDW, but we still like a lot)

Blue Bayou (I have not eaten here since the menu change/price increase -- but we have always loved it)
River Belle Terrace -- BBQ food -- really good
Redd Rockett's Pizza Port -- They have a chicken fuscilli dish that is really good, plus salads, etc. It sounds good right now....

I hope you have a wonderful time!

I think you can get discounted tickets if you're a mousesavers subscriber.

Disneyland is quite similar to MK but better! Everything is closer together and there are more rides!!! The only thing it's really missing is Mickey's Phillarmagic but there is so much more to Fantasyland at DL than MK. Sleeping Beauty's castle is admittedly a bit disappointing after seeing Cinderella's castle. But Pirates, don't miss it, it's like 15 minutes of greatness!

You can definitely fill 3 days at DL and DCA with all the shows and fireworks and parades. Absolutely do not miss Aladdin and the electrical light parade if it's running when you go. My advice is to park hop, visit DL in the morning and hop over to DCA when it starts getting busy. This way you can do both parks all 3 days, it's SOOOOOOOOOO easy at Disneyland, it's just a short walk away! NO BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely pack ponchos or budget to buy some at the parks, when we went in Feb '05 it rained 16" in 4 days, seriously! Nice part though, the lines were non-existant! And plan on bringing sweaters as it can get cool at night.

Oh, and you don't need to line up nearly as early for parades or fireworks or fantasmic, none of the 2 hours on the concrete sidewalk business (unless of course you LIKE this sort of thing!)

Most of all, have fun. I'm jealous! I wish I was going to DL sometime soon.

You can get discounted parkhopper tickets from Disney if you order them off the Disneyland web site in advance.

If you're not into thrill rides, then I think you could do DCA/DL in 3 days and see almost everything - especially since at that time of year you'll probably encounter several attractions that are down for rehab. Since it's the off-season you'll have shorter park hours (except on Fridays and Saturdays).

I'd recommend that you make Priority Seating for any sit-down restaurants where you really want to eat.

I like Redd Rockett's Pizza Port and Rancho del Zocalo in Disneyland for counter-service, and Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. Cafe Orleans in Disneyland is now a table service restaurant which I am looking forward to trying. The Trattoria at DCA is pretty good. Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand Californian is good, too.

Thanks so much - those were AWESOME replies!

I found the 2007 discounted tickets - where you buy them at a child's price, LOVE that - saved us $160! :)

I also found the menus on Deb's site and am pretty stoked about some of the restaurants. We're staying nearby (courtesy of DH's work for his work trip) and his work things are on Tuesday and Thursday - but we fly in on Sunday. I'm thinking we might hit the park Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I guess I need to find the link to the parades and fantasmic times - we won't want to miss those!

I'm so excited - dole whip on the west coast, too? :) YAHOO!!!

And I really want to try some beignets and check out the New Orleans-y stuff. It looks like lots of fun!

Yay! THANKS EVERYONE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter