Where to stay in LA?

Disneylovers2000

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 4 (2 - 12year olds) and are headed to SoCal next summer (2013):cool1:. We were originally going to make it a Disney only trip but have now extended it to a few things in LA as well. We would like to spend 2 - 3 days in LA rather than driving back and forth from Anaheim. Is this recommended?
In LA we want to :
Universal
Santa Monica Pier
Original Farmers Market and The Grove
Griffith Park
Quick trip through Hollywood and Beverly Hills - from what I read, a short trip is all that is recommended.
Shopping at the Citadel.

I mostly want to know :surfweb: where to stay in LA. Our budget allows for about $150ish a night for hotel. What will I get for this kind of money - or would it just be better to stay in Anaheim and drive back and forth. If you have stayed in a great place in LA please share your experience!!:worship:
Thanks for your help!!:goodvibes

Just subbing to this thread becasue I am in the beginning stages of planning a Disney/LA trip too for next year!!!

I would agree- say in LA rather than Anaheim. The AM commute pattern heads north (where the jobs are), and its a wall of traffic on the 5. Then it reverses in the pm. So unless you leave super early and return super late, leaving Anaheim and heading N is not advised.

I absolutely LOVE Griffith Park (specifically, the observatory, which has a cool FREE -and big- exhibit area) and The Grove/Farmers Market. I also love the Peterson Auto Museum (next to the tar pits and page museum, if that interests you).

I can't help with hotels, but I'd check travelzoo as I typically find great hotel deals there.

Definitely stay in the LA area. Since you will have a car you might want to try staying somewhere a little away from the central tourist locations. Not only will rooms be cheaper, but you may even get free parking.

Additionally, I would find the area you like and go to some of the websites that just give you the star rating and the low price to find a hotel (Not sure if its against the sites rules to name the website). We have used them in the past to get 4 star hotels in the area we wanted for a lot lower than we had seen on other sites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter