Where we ate - Dinners - Long

Vavasmon

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
We just returned from a wonderful spring break trip. Here are reviews of where we ate. Please post any questions and I will try to answer. We were in the world from 31 March - 10 April. We are a family of 3 (DH, DD age 8, and myself). We eat out frequently at home. DD enjoys foods from different cuisines. We were on the silver plan (but would have eaten at these locations regardless). I have divided reviews into counter service, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

House of Blues - early dinner. Adult food was good (Jambalaya and Meatloaf). DD meal from the kids menu was disappointing (she enjoyed finishing my meatloaf). DH would go back for the Jambalaya.

Liberty Tree Tavern - Dinner - This is a family tradition when we go to the MK. The salad and roast beef were the best parts of the meal. Character interaction was excellent as always (except for Minnie who somehow skipped our table - the CM was very helpful about having her comeback). Dessert which is now included was a strawberry shortcake which DD does not like. The "pork chop" looked more like ham with a bone. None of us enjoyed the pork. We would go back again for the characters alone. Hint – don’t schedule a character meal during a parade (Spectro was during our dinner – the characters appear in the parade instead of the restaurant).

Boma – Dinner - this was our third time at Boma. Compared to the last years trip it was somewhat disappointing. We were seated next to a larger group (8 - 10 adults) who were celebrating 1 or more birthdays/anniversaries. I felt like they crawled over us several times. The server had a hard time keeping soda/water glasses full. Unlike in the past, the buffet was not kept replenished. The food was still enjoyable (we preferred the selections last year). The dessert was excellent as always. (A toss-up meal).

Brown Derby (Fantasmic) – Dinner - One of (if not the) best meals of the trip. We were seated in a semi-circle booth which was somewhat private. DH and I both started with the Onion Soup while DD had chicken noodle. DH and I both had the Center Cut Fillet of Beef with an add on Lobster tail. DD had the Grouper Strips. Everything was cooked as we ordered it. For dessert, DD had the "hidden treasure" (without the gummy worms just as she requested), DH had the grapefruit cake, and I had the Cream Brule. Everything was terrific. The service was excellent. A definite must do again.

Cape May Clambake – Dinner - We ate here last year and enjoyed it so much we came back. This year we had an awful table (by the stairs leading to the restroom), a so/so server (slow soda refills, plate pickups, and check backs). The clam chowder and peel/eat shrimp were our favorites. The corn on the cob was also good (not over cooked). The beef could have used a little seasoning (and something other than well done would have been nice). The ribs were okay, as was the bread selection. They seemed to be having a hard time keeping up with the steamed seafood. The dessert buffet was also somewhat picked over but we all enjoyed it. This will probably not be on our list for our next trip

1900 Park Fare - Cinderella Dinner - This was the best of the 4 buffet dinners we ate. The strawberry soup was wonderful. The carved beef was excellent. The characters posed for several pictures. The fairy godmother was in the lobby - she had a long line most of the evening. The restaurant was very busy but you never would have known it from the service or the buffet. A very nice dinner we would do again.

Chef Mickey’s - Dinner - We had an excellent table (up a few stairs with a view out to the monorail/lake). The buffet was just like last year - well stocked with fresh food. DH loved the Cajun pasta. The mashed potatoes were wonderful. We all enjoyed it. The characters are what make this location special. We had great interactions and pictures. We will do this again.

Le Cellier – Dinner – This is the other meal that was possibly our best. We had never eaten there before but decided to try it based on the boards. We started with cheese soup (loved by all three of us). DD had the kid’s steak, I had the fillet mignon, and DH had the mushroom fillet. The only negative was that the steaks were slightly more cooked than described on the menu. Dessert was excellent (Cream Brule, S’mores, and Chocolate Cake). Our server was wonderful. She was from BC and had worked at Whistler Mountain so she and my DH (the skiing fanatic) hit it off right away. The bread was also excellent. A definite must do again

Ohana - Dinner – We were seated near the cooking area. The food was quickly brought to table. Each of us had our favorite on the appetizer tray – I loved the salad and wonton, DD enjoyed the green beans and rice, DH like the chicken wings. We all enjoyed the shrimp, beef, turkey, and pork. Our server was very attentive in making sure we had what we wanted. DH and I each had a Lapu Lapu!! DD enjoyed the hula hoop contest (she is almost a little old for the coconut race and she dislike gummy worms!). We all enjoyed some pineapple for dessert. After dinner we walked to the beach and waited for wishes. We would do this again.

Hoop Dee Do – Dinner Show – We had the 7:15 seating. Our table was center stage about 5 or back on the main floor. All of us loved the show. The food was very good. I was worried based on some reviews I had read. We started with salad and bread. There was then very good fired chicken, ribs (well cooked not too fatty), baked beans, and corn. We would have preferred plain corn (it had green pepper mixed in it). The meal ended with a very good strawberry short cake (DD once again didn’t eat it). The server was very prompt with drink refills (soda, wine, and milk) and brought extra ribs when we asked. We had a great evening and would do this again,

This was a wonderful review. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Sorry, one quick question. My husband is a seafood lover and this is our 1st family trip to Disney. What would be your number one pick for seafood, not in one of the parks? Thanks for any advice.

kerrymom - we have never really done seafood outside of Cape May (non park) and Coral Reef (park).

We really want to try the Flying Fish on the boardwalk some time.

So I can't help with your question.

where is the Boma restauaunt? Animal Kingdom? I cannot seem to find it on the boards (official site, AllEarsNet, etc.

thanks

It is in the Animal Kingdom Lodge

I am really enjoying your reviews, Vavasmon. We'll be at the Beach Club in the fall, so I hope to try the Cape May Clambake for the first time. I also want to try House of Blues, so I was especially glad to see that review. You don't see a whole lot of comments on the boards about HOB.

Can you tell me what time your PS was for 1900 Park Faire? I've never really considered that buffet, but given your comments we may have to give it a try. I'll have a seven-year-old with me, and I think she might enjoy eating with the Prince and the Princess.

Pat

192 days and counting . . . again!

I've read all three of your meal review posts they are very informative, thanks!

My DD had the smores dessert at Le Cellier too and was thrilled with those toasted marshmallows in sprinkles on a stick! Was yours? :D

Our 1900 Park Fare was at 7 pm. They start earlier and were still seating people whne we left.

The S'mores included the marsh mellos with sprinkles. We have an excellent picture of DD enjoying that dessert.

Vavasmom - Thanks for all your terrific dining reviews. We have a PS for Liberty Tree at 7 p.m. on a night when Spectromagic is at 8:30 p.m. Do you think we'll have problems with the characters departing for the parade during our meal? Also, is there a good vantage point to see the parade from the area where Liberty Tree is located? Thanks again for your great reviews!

Thanks for the great reviews. We are eating at 4 of the places you did, LTT, CMickeys, HoopDeDoo, and Le Cellier. I am glad to hear you had such positive experiences.

Thanks for the great reviews! :) Cape May has always been a must-do on our trips, but I think it has been going downhill recently. My MIL & family are currently at WDW & they also had a poor experience at Cape May earlier this week. She isn't sure they want to return either. :(

I'll be watching for some better reviews over the next couple of months - we're leaving it on our itinerary for now for our Sept trip - hope we don't regret it. Thanks again! :)

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews. I'm on my way to look for your other meal reviews!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter