Which Dine w/ Shamu?

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
Help me choose which Dine with Shamu option we should go for...

Not big breakfast fans so thinking not that.

When we go in October the park doesn't open until 10:00, so lunch at noon might stop our momentum...so I'm thinking dinner:

Tell me more about 4pm dine w/ Shamu vs. 6:45 backstage dine w/ Shamu. Do you view Shamu Rocks from backstage? Do you eat then go to the front. I have no idea what it would be like.

Do you think they offer all options in October?

Also if someone is very convincing I would consider breakfast or lunch.

Thanks for the help!

Help me choose which Dine with Shamu option we should go for...

Not big breakfast fans so thinking not that.

When we go in October the park doesn't open until 10:00, so lunch at noon might stop our momentum...so I'm thinking dinner:

Tell me more about 4pm dine w/ Shamu vs. 6:45 backstage dine w/ Shamu. Do you view Shamu Rocks from backstage? Do you eat then go to the front. I have no idea what it would be like.

Do you think they offer all options in October?

Also if someone is very convincing I would consider breakfast or lunch.

Thanks for the help!

If it will be hot when you arrive, then I would plan for in the heat of the day. If the night time Shamu Rocks is going, then I would go with that because VIP seating for the show is provided for the evening show (Shamu Rocks). The backstage dining experience and the show are two different things. The VIP seating is "only" for the evening show, not the day shows. You are wise to not do the breakfast, because that is when the lines will be the shortest to all the rides. You should do all the rides before shows, and you will be able to if you are there when they open the gates.

Shamu Rocks is only a summer performance. I have been to the lunch and it was nice to take a break at 1:30 pm.

I'm not sure if Shamu Rocks goes into October, but it has posted times through September.

Hey Tink, how reliable are the show times posted on Seaworld.com???

We enjoy going around 3, since we usually get there a bit later (around noon). I actually quite enjoy that time, as it is a perfect time to get away from the hot and crowds (though last time we went, it was sprinkling...so it helped us get out of the rain, LOL!)

I noticed you have pretty small kids, so the rides (unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the bay of play) aren't going to be a big draw for you. And the first shows aren't until eleven, so I would rethink the breakfast. We did it last Sunday and it was fabulous...not so much for the food, but for the whale interaction. We had a good 20-30 minutes of really up close interaction with 2 of the whales. They performed, swam up close, and yes, even got us a little wet (after we ate). I don't have pics at work but will try to remember to come back and post some tonight so you can see how really close we were to them. My DD3 and DD5 and the other 3 year olds we were with absolutely loved it. It was by far one of the highlights of the trip.

From there we were able to walk over and feed the sea lions, then walk sequentially into the 11am Shamu Believe, into Cirque de la Mer at 11:45 and then into Pets Rule at 12:30(?) and then we did a lot of the exhibits...penguins, manatees, arctic, clydesdales etc. with a break for snacks before hitting the dolphin show at 3:30. It was a great day!

I noticed you have pretty small kids, so the rides (unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the bay of play) aren't going to be a big draw for you. And the first shows aren't until eleven, so I would rethink the breakfast. We did it last Sunday and it was fabulous...not so much for the food, but for the whale interaction. We had a good 20-30 minutes of really up close interaction with 2 of the whales. They performed, swam up close, and yes, even got us a little wet (after we ate). I don't have pics at work but will try to remember to come back and post some tonight so you can see how really close we were to them. My DD3 and DD5 and the other 3 year olds we were with absolutely loved it. It was by far one of the highlights of the trip.

From there we were able to walk over and feed the sea lions, then walk sequentially into the 11am Shamu Believe, into Cirque de la Mer at 11:45 and then into Pets Rule at 12:30(?) and then we did a lot of the exhibits...penguins, manatees, arctic, clydesdales etc. with a break for snacks before hitting the dolphin show at 3:30. It was a great day!

Cool. I'd love to see the pictures!

OK, here are a few of my pictures from Breakfast with Shamu this past Sunday. I don't have a fancy camera...these were taken with my pocket Canon SD 1100IS so not a huge amount of zoom. We just really were this close!

SanDiego2008122.jpg

SanDiego2008126.jpg

Shamu saying Hi
SanDiego2008128.jpg

SanDiego2008133.jpg

Got a bit wet with this one!
SanDiego2008136.jpg

SanDiego2008138.jpg

Waving good bye:
SanDiego2008139.jpg

And not to discourage you because you know what your kids would like/tolerate best, but we did Shamu Rocks in Orlando last month (yes, my kids LOVE Sea World!) and despite the fact that my two DD's adore Shamu probably more than they liked Disney world, it was a big flop with us. The music in the Shamu Rocks show was entirely too loud for them (it was a lot of electric guitar, hard rock music) and they spent more time upset by the loud music ...and these are kids who weren't scared of the fireworks this year...than enjoying the show. We went back to Believe in San Diego and they were much happier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter