Which Hawaii itinerary?

I can't decide. I like the 10nt for about the same price as the 9nt that gives an overnight in Kauai and the return to Vancouver sailing easier with the time change versus flying. But the 9nt, I like the idea of the sea days before arriving in Hawaii for the special Hawaiian activities, and the 9nt has longer hours on Maui. Unfortunately, a B2B is not in the cards.

The timing doesn't work for us, but hypothetically...I'd do the 10 nt, partly due to preferring the longer flights before the trip vs. at the end of the trip. I'd also prefer the days at sea at the end to relax more. (And the extra day in Hawaii doesn't hurt...)

I did the Vancouver to Hawaii back in 2015, and I loved how you gradually gained hours cruising there. It also gradually got warmer and warmer. Of course in 2015 it was also a 10 night, so there’s that. But you don’t have that big time adjustment when touring the islands, because you’ve been adjusting for days. So, if we did this cruise we will do that route again, and maybe spend a night in aulani after. :-)

I'm going to be booking the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. I like that you'll have time to adjust to the time change slowly, so when you actually get to Hawaii you'll be good to go. The dates work better for me too with the cruise ending on a Friday can use the weekend to fly home without more time off from work.

The timing doesn't work for us, but hypothetically...I'd do the 10 nt, partly due to preferring the longer flights before the trip vs. at the end of the trip. I'd also prefer the days at sea at the end to relax more. (And the extra day in Hawaii doesn't hurt...)

I like ALL those reasons!!! And I booked it this morning! :banana: Did the same Itin back in 2015. It was AWESOME!

I had posted this in the 2020 watch thread:
Kahului is in Maui; and Nawiliwili is in Kauai. Hilo is on Hawaii Big Island

Yep!!! I thought it was unusual to overnight in Kauai since it is pretty small and accessible vs. Maui or the BI.

I did the Vancouver to Hawaii back in 2015, and I loved how you gradually gained hours cruising there. It also gradually got warmer and warmer. Of course in 2015 it was also a 10 night, so there’s that. But you don’t have that big time adjustment when touring the islands, because you’ve been adjusting for days. So, if we did this cruise we will do that route again, and maybe spend a night in aulani after. :-)

We did this cruise too and for this exact reason. I booked the 9-Nt. this AM for the same reason...gaining an hour instead of losing an hour so many days in a row. :) Since it's 9-Nts. instead of 10, we'll add that 1 more night to the number of nights we plan to stay in Hawaii after the cruise.

The flight home from Hawaii is a killer for us and almost always an overnight flight. That's a big reason I was leaning towards Hawaii to Vancouver.

What we did in 2015 worked great and we will do it again for this cruise in 2020
We flew from Ft Lauderdale to LA and spent the day in LA, then the next day we flew to Hawaii. It worked great splitting it into two 6 hour flights.
Overnight flights are awful.

What we did in 2015 worked great and we will do it again for this cruise in 2020
We flew from Ft Lauderdale to LA and spent the day in LA, then the next day we flew to Hawaii. It worked great splitting it into two 6 hour flights.
Overnight flights are awful.

We visited our daughter in San Francisco over the weekend, then flew to Honolulu 3 days before our Honolulu to Vancouver cruise on Royal Caribbean in May 2017. On the other hand - Honolulu is a great stopover on the way to Australia. :)

Last edited:
We are doing the 10 night for a few reasons. First we liked that it had an overnight in Kauai - more time to see the island. We also like to get the longer flight done first. While it is still a haul back to the east coast from Vancouver, it is easier to do that without having to do a red-eye. Next, we like that we will do all of our running around, sightseeing first then have several days at sea to rest and relax. My first choice would have been a Hawaii cruise round-trip from the west coast (the 2012 was one of our favorite cruises), but we did the one way from Honolulu to Vancouver in 2015 and had a great time. So we're happy to do this with DCL again.

We did the Hawaii to Vancouver in 2015 too, I loved the first part being ports everyday, then 5 days of relaxing on the open sea.
We booked this route again because of it.
Looking forward to the two days in Kauai this time.

We have also been debating which way is better.. part of me wants to begin in Vancouver with the days at sea first and Hawaii to look forward to later... but... 10 days is same price for us as 9 and I think Hawaii to Vancouver will be more relaxing. Also, Vancouver should be warmer in May than it will be in April... We will try to add a couple of days at Aluani before the cruise. Actually... does anyone know if Aluani is close to where there cruise will be embarking?
Haven't actually gotten that far yet...:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter