• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which island prior to visiting Aulani w/kids?

This is a good point. Our two nights on Oahu were spent on Waikiki ... The Pearl Harbor visit was obviously the highlight of that part of the trip (and perhaps the entire trip), but I see bringing the kids back to that after another 10 years or so. I want them to really remember that and feel the emotion. Other than Pearl Harbor, I could probably leave the rest of Waikiki. So maybe no need for additional time there.

Since we are doing a week at Aulani, we can spend some time doing some other things on Oahu without staying elsewhere anyway.

After these first several comments I'm thinking more Maui vs. Big Island, and leaning Big Island just because it is new to us and there are so many unique things to see. We like the national parks a lot, and Haleakala was a highlight for us last time. It was a beautiful clear day, and we could see the peaks of Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea in the distance (not sure how common that is, but it was sure memorable for us). We also have a family friend that has something like 3-4 weeks of Hilton Grand Vacations points on the Big Island, and I think we could rent a few from them at a discounted rate. So that may tilt the scales as well.
I stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village in January. It was called the Disneyland of Hawaii by our rental car lady. I would totally recommend the BI. Your kids will have a great time there. There is a seahorse farm called Oceanrider where they will let you feed seahorses and hold seahorses - the 3 year old won't be able to tho. The waterfalls were awesome. You can see my trip report in my signature if you want to get more ideas

I'm not sure what a few extra nights elsewhere on Oahu gains us. Taking the first couple days and roughing it around the Big Island a bit seems pretty doable for our kids, even if a lot of it is driving to simply see the unique sights. I will take a look at Hilo, though, since that does look like a much shorter drive to VNP. Thank you!!

We've done three trips and have always island hopped with our kids. They think the tiny airports and island hopping planes are part of the adventure. The Big Island was the last island we made it to with the kids, so they were a little older at 12 and 10, but we really enjoyed it. We stayed in Kona and took the long drive around the island with VNP in the middle, stopping for meals and at beaches along the way, and it was one of our favorite HI days ever. Another highlight was night snorkeling with the manta rays, but I think your kids are too young for that. Kua Bay Beach at sunset is also one of my best HI memories. I've also stayed in Hilo (without kids) and would recommend Kona for vacationing with kids as there's just more to do (and it rains less).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter