Which Resort?

Disney Cape Codder

Earning My Ears
Hi

I read the boards frequently but don't post a lot. DH has agreed to allow me to upgrade from 3 nights at ASMOs to 4 nights at POFQ, AKL or WL thanks to code BRH. He won't allow more since we did the cruise and parks last year and a week at CBR the year before. We have 2 children ages 4 and 7. The pool is crucial to us. How are the pools at these 3 resorts? Which do you recommend. We have stayed at CBR and loved it. We were not thrilled with the Swan last year (not enough families and didn't feel disney enough). We stayed at PORiverdise and didn't like it as much as CBR.

I greatly appreciate all your advice and these boards. :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We have stayed at POR and never did make it over to see the pool at FQ but I've seen pictures of the big serpent slide and have read kids like it. But since you have stayed at FQ's sister resort POR I would say try something different this time. Choosing between AKL and WL is a toughie but I think you will love either. We have stayed at WL but not AKL although we have visited it, and dined there. They're both gorgeous. Since I haven't stayed at AKL I can't compare the rooms but I think they are comparable except for the different scenery. As far as pools go, I'd say the WL's is more fun. Our kids enjoyed the slide and the geyser is going off nearby from time to time. The pool at AKL looked more plain. I prefer the sitdown restaurants at AKL to that of WL but for a quick meal I like Roaring Forks at the WL better than Mara at AKL. Transportation from AKL to the parks is bus only. WL is by bus or ferries to the MK, the Contemporary, (and Ft. Wilderness too if I remember correctly) but don't know if you'll be going to the Contemp. or FW. Sorry if I'm confusing and these are just my opinions. A lot will depend on what theming you prefer. Let us know what you decide. You will have a great trip no matter what you decide!

Thanks Epcotgal! It has always been my dream to stay at WL but the kids voted for AKL because they want to see the animals. I'll post a report after our February vacation.:bounce:

For your children's age group, I would suggest PO-FQ. The serpent slide is great, and very whimsical. It was the highlight of my 8 yo's trip. Also, when you stay at a PO resort, you get the choice of 2 themed pools and 2 slides!

As for CSR, if you child isn't a relatively strong swimmer, it may not be as thrilling, because it is a very long slide (longest on property) and has a pretty strong current at the base. I wouldn't be comfortable with my child (not a strong swimmer) going down it at this point.

Hi there. You and I are in the same position. I can't help you cuz I'm wrestling with this myself. I think I am leaning towards AKL though. I haven't been to either one so I'm just gathering info like you. At first, I thought AKL was the only deluxe I could get a code rate on. I wasn't THRILLED since it wasn't a deluxe I would normally have picked. But I went ahead and booked it, then started researching and asking questions about it. Now I am soooo intrigued by it I can hardly stand it! I typically would go for the beach type resort (CBR). Never had any interest in going on a Safari. Then I started thinking how nice it would be to do something totally different. I would really feel like I'm on a different vacation instead of another "day at the beach" . I also like that AKL doesn't share a bus with any other resort. CBR made quite a few stops (cuz it's so large anyway). That wasn't a big deal, and I had no complaints about the bus service, but not making extra stops is a bonus for AKL. I THINK I read a post that WL might make other stops (maybe FW), but I'm sure someone could correct me on that. Do you know if the boat from WL to MK is covered (in case of rain or cold). That is something I thought about but don't know the answer to. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure both of us will be thrilled with whatever we decide. (By the way, I reserve the right to change my mind again!)

Just a few things:D

The buses for WL do make stops and share bus service with the GF and the POLY unlike AKL where even though it's a little further away from the parks, they have direct bus service.

I haven't had the pleasure of staying at AKL yet but have heard they have a great pool there. WL seems to be a favorite pool area with kids though and they have great theming too. I did find the room at the WL to be kind of small for being in the deluxe catagory though (this is the reg.WL hotel part I'm speaking of not the VWL - DVC part) so AKL may also be the better value as far as room size, but can't speak from experience there.

As for POFQ, have only stayed at POR-Riverside but loved it and have seen the pool over at POFQ. Kids would no doubt love it. All depends on which theming you'd rather go for.

Good luck deciding!

Stayed at both FQ and AKL. Loved them both but would definitely have to go with AKL!!!!

Judging by the ages of your children I would say WL, if you can't book WL I know you would not be upset with AKL. Both are great resorts.

We were at WL with our 3 and 6 yr olds. I am basing my opinion solely on the ages of your children. At WL you are closer to MK and you have the geyser that goes off every hour and the water parade at night. Our kids loved all of this.

My family also enjoyed taking the boat over to Fort Wilderness and having a campfire with Chip and Dale, doing the sing along and watching the movie on the huge screen. Our kids talk about this part of our trip a lot.

We never waited more than 5 minutes for a boat to FW or MK. We also went over to the TTC and rode the monorail through the resorts.

You will feel like you are right in the middle of "Disney Magic" at either resort. I can tell you you will probably gasp when you walk in either resort because they are both so beautiful.

Let us know what you decide and what you are able to book. Remember, each resort has it's own unique theme so if there is a certain theme you like better-stay at that resort.

Hey, it's me again. I've already changed my mind back to WL! I just got off the phone with a friend who has never stayed at AKL but has stayed several times at WL. They love WL and she pointed some things out to me. The water pageant goes by or docks at WL. That would be neat to see. My kids loved playing in the sand at CBR and that was something they specifically asked about this time. Can't do that at AKL, but can at WL. My friend loved the boat to MK. Said it was enclosed so weather was never a problem. She also said (as have others on this board) that transportation wasn't a problem. So....there are my new reasons and decisions!!!!!

My DDs are close in age to your children -- 4 and 6 -- and we have stayed at both WL and AKL (though only one night at AKL before our cruise last year -- I wanted to try it out!). There are pros and cons to each. First, I have not stayed at CBR, but the theming at both WL and AKL is much darker. THe decor is interesting and exotic, but a little dark. (Don't get me wrong, I loved them both, but the decor and lighting are dark, particularly AKL).

Transportation with little kids is much easier to the MK from WL, The boat is very convenient and reasonably quick. We didn't go to parks during our AKL stay, so I can't comment on the transportation other than to say it is much farther from the parks than WL.

The pools are great at both. AKL has a good slide -- twisty and fun but not too overwhelming for younger kids. There is a zero entry area, which is nice for little ones as well. It is also VERY COOL to be able to see the animals from the pool area!!!! We spent the afternoon at the pool during our trip and saw lots of animals. There were guides there to tell you about the animals as well, which made it all very interesting and informative. We had a savannah view room on the zebra trail and thought it was awesome to return from the pool and see tons of animals on the savannah right below our balcony. Same thing the next morning -- lots of animals! My kids LOVED it.

The pool at WL is smaller, but the theming is lovely there. MY DD was afraid to try the slide on our last trip there because you go through a small tunnel at the top (You never know what will frighten kids -- her favorite slide is now the long one (with a HUGE tunnel) in Stormalong Bay, so go figure).

I don't think you will go wrong at either hotel. THey are both lovely and interesting. Have a nice trip!

Thanks very much for all the feedback. We booked AKL! It's Disney so we really couldn't go wrong with any of the resorts but the animals really appeal to all of us. We don't have any great zoos anywhere close to Cape Cod so this will be really different for us. I'll post a trip report:bounce:

Have stayed at both. AKL is the winner. Both have great pools. AKL pool is walk-in which is nice if steps are a problem.

There is The Mara which is great for breakfast and snacks. Boma is probably the best buffet on property and Jiko is fabulous, although probably not a restaurant that would impress kids.

What WILL thrill the kids is AKL's private safari. Book a savannah view room. It is worth the upgrade price and with a discount code -- go for it!!!! We got to the parks much later simply because we were enjoying the animals so much. There are lots of art and other exhibits for the adults to enjoy. And the lobby is something to behold.

Stayed at the AKL and WL in December....the hands down, no ifs ands or buts about it winner is the AKL:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter