• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who doesn't leave an extra tip?

torinsmom

<font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>
Am I cheap if I don't leave an extra tip when on the DDP? :confused3 I mean, maybe this time when its free, I might, but when I paid in March, I felt like 18% was more than enough. Of course, all except one of our TS were buffets. And at Le Cellier, I didn't feel like our server went out of her way to be extra attentive.

Marsha

1) Servers already get an 18% tip fro DDP meals.
2) Unless REALLY great service, this is enough for me to tip. *
3) Also, tipping extra makes the DDP less of a value and sometimes a loss.

* Besides, there are ways they increase their tips. They frequently recommend things extra things you would not normally order necause they are paid on the total of the tab. This way they can increase their tips without too much extra work.

We tipped extra at California Grill, Concourse Steakhouse and WCC because we had extra special service.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Servers already get an 18% tip fro DDP meals.
2) Unless REALLY great service, this is enough for me to tip. *
3) Also, tipping extra makes the DDP less of a value and sometimes a loss.

* Besides, there are ways they increase their tips. They frequently recommend things extra things you would not normally order necause they are paid on the total of the tab. This way they can increase their tips without too much extra work.

Thats true--we really didn't want dessert at le Cellier, but the waiter insisted we get something "even if you just take a bite" because it was included.

Marsha

Here's a compulsive over tipper's POV...

I think that 18% is sufficient unless there is exceptional service (personally I am a 20% girl, unless the tip is already added).

This could easily, maybe even easier occour at a buffet. The tables require MUCH more maintainence IMO.

For exceptional service at any TS restaurant, where I didnt order anything extra (ie a kids meal at a non buffet/ fam stlye...) I will gladly show my appreciation w a $5 on the table. I just feel like *above average attention deserves recognition :wizard:

I don't do the DDP but I would tip extra if I did. I generally expirience good to excellant service at Disney. I tip 20% for good service and 25% for excellent service. Therefore, I would definately tip a little extra. I appreciate the effort our servers go to and don't mind tipping a little more to let them know they help make our vacation special.

That being said, if I ever had HORRIBLE service I wouild request a manager and have the inclusive tip removed. I believe that tipping should be at the descretion of the customer. After reading some DIS posts (not on this tread) about how people don't tip, like the dollar per person at a buffet post, I can understand why Disney would want to include the tip with the DDP.

I feel the 18% is a fair tip for decent service, if the service is above and beyond then I leave more, if not then I just leave it at that. I also tipped extra if we ordered above the plan or something special was done for us--when we ate at Garden Grill for example the waiter did not bring a dessert for the 18 month old--she is the baby in a group of 6 kids ranging from 14 down to her--she wants what they get or all H*** will break loose. We asked for a cupcake and it was not a problem we left an extra $5.00 on the table. T 50's Prime Time I was in the lav when the waiter came around and no one in the party mentioned we were onthe DDP. He came with the check and had to re-do it, he was very lighthearted about it and didn't complain about it at all--we left an extra $10.00 (basically $1 per person). If service is extraordinary the tip should be as well, if it is ordinary the tip should be as well!

We tipped extra at Le Cellier because we had such exceptional service. Other than that our service was "ok" so we didn't tip any extra.

18% is fair for "good" service ... if it's excellent service we will leave extra.

Bad service? We complain to the manager. Even if on the DDP you should have good service.

WDWO

if the service is standard then I wil not leave extra, if the service is very good I would leave extra.

wdwobsessed said:
18% is fair for "good" service ... if it's excellent service we will leave extra.

Bad service? We complain to the manager. Even if on the DDP you should have good service.
I totally agree with this. :thumbsup2

:sunny:
elastigirl said:
I totally agree with this. :thumbsup2

Agree too. Even at the buffets we felt we had excellent service, our dirty plates were constantly removed and tea was refilled, so even though we had to get our food, we were still waited on quite a lot :sunny:

We leave extra tip for excellent service pushing it to either 20 or 22 percent.

We tipped extra at every meal except one last year(8days), all others went above and beyond the call of duty IMO.

The one we did not tip did not offer a single refill and when flagged down so we could ask she seemed bothered, she also stated they did not have boxes(doggie bags) two minutes before we saw another server hand some to persons at the next table.

indigoxtreme said:
:sunny:

Agree too. Even at the buffets we felt we had excellent service, our dirty plates were constantly removed and tea was refilled, so even though we had to get our food, we were still waited on quite a lot :sunny:

We leave extra tip for excellent service pushing it to either 20 or 22 percent.

I totally agree we have had some of the best service at buffets. I am trying DP for the first time in Aug. If I get the level of service I have in the past at CP (and don't see why I wouldn't) I'll be leaving an extra tip.

I dont tip extra... 18% is enough (unless the server was beyond amazing).

I wouldn't order an appetizer AND a dessert for every meal if it were not on the dinning plan... so the servers are getting a larger tip from the dinning plan than they would if I were paying OOP and not order that much food. With that in mind, I'm sure they LOVE it when customers are on the dinning plan racking up huge bills that they normally wouldn't

I just got back, was there Sunday to Friday last week. We did character dinners with the table service credits and did not tip extra. It was my 12 year old niece & I and the included gratuity was $9 or $10 for the 2 of us each time. I think that's sufficient for picking up plates and bringing drinks.

We did leave extra last December because to the best of my understanding it wasn't 18% then (I could be wrong though!) I think it was 15% so I left extra at every TS. We had great service at every meal. This year - if we have great service I will leave a little extra - if not I will not leave extra.

aristocat said:
I dont tip extra... 18% is enough (unless the server was beyond amazing).

I wouldn't order an appetizer AND a dessert for every meal if it were not on the dinning plan... so the servers are getting a larger tip from the dinning plan than they would if I were paying OOP and not order that much food. With that in mind, I'm sure they LOVE it when customers are on the dinning plan racking up huge bills that they normally wouldn't

If tips are paid for service, then getting extra for deliverying an appetizer and a dessert is reasonable. They may be getting a bigger tip, but they are doing more work. I know at some restaurants the server is responsible for the timing of the apps, entrees and desserts, so they have to be thinking about the timing of a meal (when to put in the appy order and how much later to put in the entree and so on) for all the tables they serve. They deserve a bigger tip if they are doing that much more work.

DDP customers also occupy a table longer than a patron who just orders an entree therefore they may make a bigger tip from the DDP customer but they will not be able to serve as many DDP customers in their shift as they could if all their customers simply ordered an entree. In the end they get bigger tips per table but less tables so it evens out.

I was shocked to hear what the servers are paid until I found out that it's standard for FL. A couple of years ago it was only about $3.00 per hour so they really rely on tips! We use the DDE and always turn our 20% savings over to our server without question. The kids on the college program do pay for their rooms and food out of their own pocket. We've known some kids on it and our daughter was accepted into it -- the expense makes you wonder if it is really worth it to have the experience on a resume someday. I always have the feeling that many people tip better at home where they will see the servers again and often leave little on vacation -- we went with a couple like that once and found ourselves embarassed and leaving part of their share too. I'm still feeling guilty about the bellhops and ME since they are now losing out on tips! I've confirmed and now leave a note and tip on the bed closest to the door for them! Also had to get used to the idea that mousekeeping can't take money without a note either -- I always left tips on the bathroom sink and now I have to leave a note unless it's our checkout day.

We generally tip between 15% and 20% so unless the service was beyond phenomenal we would just go with the 18%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter