Who is and who's not booking with ABD for 2010

Will you still book with ABD for 2010?

• Yep...still going with ABD for 2010

• No...not going with ABD for 2010

• Gonna wait and see if ABD comes out with anything new for 2010

Results are only viewable after voting.
I emailed Classic Journeys to ask about transfer and got this response:

Airport transfers are not included in the cost of our tours; however, they may be arranged at an additional cost. When you reserve space, we’ll send you a confirmation package that includes detailed information on how to get to and from the starting and ending points of the trip. We can also help you with any of your pre- or post-tour hotel arrangements.

I would have to get more details on what the transfer instructions would be before I would book with them, because if the instructions are something like "find a taxi to take you to point X", that would not be good. I'm hoping "they may be arranged at additional cost" means they would arrange them for me. Their prices include tips for the guides so it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another with regard to cost, as far as I'm concerned.

Tozzie, don't know if you saw this when you were researching them, but they do have a rewards program for returning guests. If one has enough money and lives long enough, you will eventually get a free trip. The 15th and 20th tour rewards are great, but for the first few trips the cost savings isn't much. The other benefits are nice though. Here are the details, in case anyone is interested:

Special Treatment—You'll enjoy these special benefits after just one tour with us:

•Priority assignment to the best rooms set aside for your group
•A special welcome gift at the beginning of each tour
•Member-only email address and toll-free number for contacting Classic Journeys
•Priority wait list
•Exclusive invitations to inaugurate new itineraries
•Advance notice of new and special departures
•$100 off your second departure if you reserve back-to-back tours or two tours in the same calendar year*
•$150 credit every time you refer a new guest
•Special offers from fine travel resources such as E-bags, TravelSmith and Longitude Books

Milestone Rewards—The more you travel with Classic Journeys the more automatic rewards you will receive:

3rd Tour $50 gift card from a preferred Classic Journeys travel resource provider
5th Tour $100 off tour price
10th Tour $200 off tour price
15th Tour 50% off companion's tour price†
20th Tour Free tour for one on any scheduled Classic Journey

I emailed Classic Journeys to ask about transfer and got this response:

I would have to get more details on what the transfer instructions would be before I would book with them, because if the instructions are something like "find a taxi to take you to point X", that would not be good. I'm hoping "they may be arranged at additional cost" means they would arrange them for me. Their prices include tips for the guides so it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another with regard to cost, as far as I'm concerned.

Tozzie, don't know if you saw this when you were researching them, but they do have a rewards program for returning guests. If one has enough money and lives long enough, you will eventually get a free trip. The 15th and 20th tour rewards are great, but for the first few trips the cost savings isn't much. The other benefits are nice though. Here are the details, in case anyone is interested:

I didn't see it because I didn't go any further with looking at the trips due to the lack of airport transfers. i am sorry I don't think they would be easy to do in a foreign country especially if I didn't speak the language and I don't have the desire to start a vacation off on the wrong foot. It may not be a big deal to some but it is important to me. I do appreciate the information BOBO, very much.

I didn't see it because I didn't go any further with looking at the trips due to the lack of airport transfers. i am sorry I don't think they would be easy to do in a foreign country especially if I didn't speak the language and I don't have the desire to start a vacation off on the wrong foot. It may not be a big deal to some but it is important to me. I do appreciate the information BOBO, very much.

I know what you mean. It would have to be an exceptional deal for me to book with them or any other company that doesn't offer transfers. I don't even like to take a taxi from my local airport to my house! Just thought the rewards program was interesting, since you were asking about return discounts, and I've been looking for some kind of rewards program for some time. So far I haven't found any company that offers a significant discount to returning guests. This is the only one I've seen with a progressive discount, but by the time I got to the free trip, I would need a walker. :)

I know what you mean. It would have to be an exceptional deal for me to book with them or any other company that doesn't offer transfers. I don't even like to take a taxi from my local airport to my house! Just thought the rewards program was interesting, since you were asking about return discounts, and I've been looking for some kind of rewards program for some time. So far I haven't found any company that offers a significant discount to returning guests. This is the only one I've seen with a progressive discount, but by the time I got to the free trip, I would need a walker. :)
I know marcemch mentioned she was also considering Backroads. Backroads has a similar rewards program to Classic Journeys:
All It Takes Is One Trip

Who's eligible for membership in the BEST Club?
Any adult guest who has traveled with Backroads on at least one trip. All it takes is a completed application - membership is free.

Let the Benefits Begin*

As a member, you'll receive:

• Trip Credit for referring friends who take their first Backroads vacation, an exclusive BEST Club member benefit
  • Awards for completing Milestone Trips (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40.)
  • Priority wait-listing
  • Dream destination calendars for your computer desktop
  • BEST Club Service Desk and more
I really kind of like that first bullet point. If ABD had this policy, how many Trip Credits do you think I'd've qualified for from the DIS???? :lmao:

I've traveled with Backroads before, but they are definitely on the pricey side (unless they've dropped their prices recently.) Most of the itineraries I've looked at have been much higher than ABD, but so far they only have a very limited number of "Family" itineraries, so it's hard to judge the pricing on those.

But Chris, one of my SWS guides, said that a lot of ABD was patterned after Backroads. As far as quality goes, I'd rate them very high. It's been over 10 years since I traveled with them, but we had 8 people on our tour, and THREE guides! It was a camping tour, and the guides actually did all the cooking for us. And it was EXCELLENT food... I don't know if their guide ratio is that good any more, but Backroads still does guarantee that *most* trips will not be cancelled, no matter how few guests they have.

Hey! I just noticed this!

Earn up to $200 in Trip Credit for any new adult referral when they take their first Backroads trip. See full terms and conditions; some restrictions may apply.
I think I was one of the ones who mentioned Backroads here... :) I've traveled with them before... If anyone decides to book with Backroads, can I get the referral? Seriously! PM me!

Sayhello

Hello all!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I haven't been to the boards for a while--it is interesting to see what everyone is thinking (including the DCL add-ons). Like marcemch, I am getting very nervous about not having something booked for this summer.

Does anyone know if the ABD trips are filling up quickly, or if others (like us) are waiting and exploring other options since the ABD cancellation policies are so so strict?

Hello all!

Hope everyone had a great holiday. I haven't been to the boards for a while--it is interesting to see what everyone is thinking (including the DCL add-ons). Like marcemch, I am getting very nervous about not having something booked for this summer.

Does anyone know if the ABD trips are filling up quickly, or if others (like us) are waiting and exploring other options since the ABD cancellation policies are so so strict?

The only thing I know is one person posted one of the Italy trips was booked completely when she went to book it. Other than that I know my trip, Alpine Magic, was about 40% full in the end of November, I haven't checked again since then.

Hello all!

I haven't heard anything. I'm still waiting to see whether people are signing up for this DCL add-on or not. I sure hope so...

Sayhello

I have been looking at Tauck Bridges and Thomson Travel's Galapagos iternaries. Have not made any decisions yet. Work keeps getting the way of my vacation planning. If you find any other good options, please tell me. I would love to hear about it.

DS says he wants to go to Yosemite, so I'm leaning towards Tauck Bridges. I like their itinerary better than ABD's and ABD only offers two dates for the Northern California trip and their price is about $800 higher. I called near the end of November and asked about 2 dates for Alpine Magic and one for Peru and was told that all three dates were around 40% full. Haven't spoken to anyone at ABD since then. I'm going to wait a little longer and see if any deals turn up. I would like to see if ABD offeres any other incentive once the free cruise promotion expires. I got back from the 3-day DCL Bahamas cruise last week and I know I don't want to do that again

Hi Bobo--
Just curious, why would you not want to do the 3 day Bahama's cruise again? Is it because you just did it? or did you not enjoy it. Just wondering.

Turtlemom.

Hi Bobo--
Just curious, why would you not want to do the 3 day Bahama's cruise again? Is it because you just did it? or did you not enjoy it. Just wondering.

Turtlemom.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it. The weather didn't cooperate and that was part of the problem, but I think I would have been disappointed anyway. It was really windy and the seas were rough. I was sick the first night. Activities on deck were not very enjoyable because we were being pounded by the wind. Due to the wind and rough water, we weren't able to dock at Cataway Cay. So all that contributed to the cruise not being great. I've always heard about the fantastic service on the DCL, but that wasn't our experience at all. Except for our stateroom hostess, I thought service was subpar (even by non-Disney standards). Our head server made sure to let us know that we should rate him "excellent" and not just "very good" on the survey, which seemed a bit inappropriate to me. Maybe DCL has cut back on servers and they have to cover more tables now - I don't know since this was our first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to. I definitely didn't experience the type of service I was expecting. And I felt like someone was always trying to sell me something. Before we set sail my son was playing in the pool and I must have been asked 20 times if I wanted to buy the drink of the day (and I'm not exaggerating). And I didn't find the activities for adults very appealing. I did really enjoy the Disney Dreams stage show. My son had a good time in the Oceaneer's Lab. He played video games most of the time though, which he could have done at home. I certainly didn't have the pampered feeling I have on ABD trips. Maybe I'm just not a cruise person. I think if I tried it again, it would have to be better than this cruise was, but I still don't think it's worth the money. I would rather save that money to put toward another ABD trip.

That's too bad! I'm so sorry the weather didn't cooperate, as Castaway Cay is a beautiful island. I've gone on 7 day cruises on the Magic, and we had a great experience, but my concern with a 3 or 4 day cruise is that it would be too short to really enjoy the ship and to unwind and relax. It is especially a bummer if the seas are rough and you can't even enjoy being on deck. Sorry to her about your bad experience! :sad2:

I guess the mediteranean cruise with ABD would probably not be your cup of tea either? I was looking at it, but my husband is freaking out about the Tunisia stop, especially after the recent airline events of this past weekend with the terrorist activities seeming to heat up. Oh well. . . . sigh. . . .

Our head server made sure to let us know that we should rate him "excellent" and not just "very good" on the survey, which seemed a bit inappropriate to me.

Our server did this to us on our recent cruise too, to the point I felt he was being obnoxious. He mentioned it so many times on the last couple of days, I thought he was trying to brainwash us. He was a good server, but DANG - give it a rest! I gave him the grade he was begging for, but his tip was slightly smaller than it would have been without all the pestering.

That's too bad! I'm so sorry the weather didn't cooperate, as Castaway Cay is a beautiful island. I've gone on 7 day cruises on the Magic, and we had a great experience, but my concern with a 3 or 4 day cruise is that it would be too short to really enjoy the ship and to unwind and relax. It is especially a bummer if the seas are rough and you can't even enjoy being on deck. Sorry to her about your bad experience! :sad2:

I guess the mediteranean cruise with ABD would probably not be your cup of tea either? I was looking at it, but my husband is freaking out about the Tunisia stop, especially after the recent airline events of this past weekend with the terrorist activities seeming to heat up. Oh well. . . . sigh. . . .

I was so sure that I was going to love the cruise that I was planning to book a 2011 Med cruise while onboard and hopefully be able to add the ABD excursions if they are still being offered. Also thought, if we really loved it, the free cruise might tip the scales in favor of ABD for 2010. But it didn't work out that way. I'm glad we took the shorter cruise and found out cruising isn't really for me before I made the mistake of booking a longer one.

What about the Tunisia stop is freaking out your husband? I must admit to not knowing much about Tunisia, except that it is a largely Muslim country...

Sayhello

DS says he wants to go to Yosemite, so I'm leaning towards Tauck Bridges. I like their itinerary better than ABD's and ABD only offers two dates for the Northern California trip and their price is about $800 higher. I called near the end of November and asked about 2 dates for Alpine Magic and one for Peru and was told that all three dates were around 40% full. Haven't spoken to anyone at ABD since then. I'm going to wait a little longer and see if any deals turn up. I would like to see if ABD offeres any other incentive once the free cruise promotion expires. I got back from the 3-day DCL Bahamas cruise last week and I know I don't want to do that again

I think we are of like mind Bobo. I did a cruise (RCL Liberty of the Seas) last year with my extended family, and didn't like it much either. We too had a couple of days of bad weather where we were basically stuck inside, and there was nothing to do! My daughter tolerated, but didn't love the kids club, and it really wasn't active enough for her. (I was SO surprised that it was indoors!) I had thought I might give DCL a chance, thinking it would be different, but from your report, it seems like it had alot of the qualities that I didn't care for on RCL, like the constant "sell" atmosphere. I found there were really no opportunities to befriend other adults or find families that you could spend time with, unless you happened to sit next to them in the wall to wall poolside lounge chairs or be seated near them at dinner - was DCL any different? I think if my daughter and I had been there on our own, I would have ended up spending alot of time alone with my book, which is fine for a little while, but not how I want to spend the entirety of my vacation. That's one reason the ABD DCL add-on is appealing to me, as I believe it would provide the comradarie that we've gotten on the ABD trips, in addition to the great port excursions that you just show up for. Think I'll wait to hear feedback after the first season though...
I am seriously considering the Tauck Bridges N. Calif tour as well for the same reason as your son - I've always wanted to see Yosemite (have been numerous times to S.F, and once to Monterey) and like the itinerary/cost better than ABD. While neither tour gives you a whole lot of time at Yosemite, I think the T.B. tour looks like it provides alot of fun activities that would be right down my DD's alley.
I too still hoping for some kind of promotion from one of the tour groups that will help me decide, but I probably can't book until March/April anyway until I find out more about my summer work schedule.
Feel free to p.m. me directly (I guess that's possible?) if you learn more about the T.B North CA tour and want to discuss.
(p.s. - Hi Gayle!)

I think we are of like mind Bobo. I did a cruise (RCL Liberty of the Seas) last year with my extended family, and didn't like it much either. We too had a couple of days of bad weather where we were basically stuck inside, and there was nothing to do! My daughter tolerated, but didn't love the kids club, and it really wasn't active enough for her. (I was SO surprised that it was indoors!) I had thought I might give DCL a chance, thinking it would be different, but from your report, it seems like it had alot of the qualities that I didn't care for on RCL, like the constant "sell" atmosphere. I found there were really no opportunities to befriend other adults or find families that you could spend time with, unless you happened to sit next to them in the wall to wall poolside lounge chairs or be seated near them at dinner - was DCL any different? I think if my daughter and I had been there on our own, I would have ended up spending alot of time alone with my book, which is fine for a little while, but not how I want to spend the entirety of my vacation. That's one reason the ABD DCL add-on is appealing to me, as I believe it would provide the comradarie that we've gotten on the ABD trips, in addition to the great port excursions that you just show up for. Think I'll wait to hear feedback after the first season though...
I am seriously considering the Tauck Bridges N. Calif tour as well for the same reason as your son - I've always wanted to see Yosemite (have been numerous times to S.F, and once to Monterey) and like the itinerary/cost better than ABD. While neither tour gives you a whole lot of time at Yosemite, I think the T.B. tour looks like it provides alot of fun activities that would be right down my DD's alley.
I too still hoping for some kind of promotion from one of the tour groups that will help me decide, but I probably can't book until March/April anyway until I find out more about my summer work schedule.
Feel free to p.m. me directly (I guess that's possible?) if you learn more about the T.B North CA tour and want to discuss.
(p.s. - Hi Gayle!)
See, I'm not that big on cruising, either. The first cruise I was on, the Southern Caribbean, was a last-minute thing when vacation plans for late November fell through. I loved the ports for the most part, but the ship itself --- I felt like I was vacationing at the Mall, and the only people I got to know were the young newlyweds whose table I was put at (I loved them, but I don't know WHOSE idea it was to obligate that young couple like that...)

My second cruise was Alaska, which is really a totally different cruise animal. You're not really doing the pool thing, you're really on an Alaska cruise to see the sights.

The only other cruising I've done were 2 charity cruises last year & this, and those cruises were more about the sense of community than anything else. You felt like you knew everyone!

So looking at this strictly as a Mediterranean cruise was not really what appealed to me. One of the things I *DO* love about cruising is moving into and unpacking in your room only once at the start of your vacation, and packing up only once at the end of your vacation. And yet you get to see a LOT of far-flung places. The ship is actually in the Med ports for a relatively long time in most of the ports; ABD outings rarely go later than dinner... So for me, this is actually an ABD sort of on steroids, where I'm visiting more places than I could on a ground-based tour, and where the ship is the hotel. Because of the excellent price on the Cat 12 GTY's the cost of that hotel is really, really low, so the cost per day for this ABD is much lower than most of the land-based ones. And I'm thinking I will have that day-to-day continuity of the 40 or less folks on the ABD, that I wouldn't have if I booked normal excursions through DCL.

I'm looking at this as an ABD on a cruiseship, rather than a source of excursions for a cruise I'm taking. There would be no way I'd sign up for this cruise without the ABD add-on, and I've let both ABD & DCL know that I intend to cancel the cruise if the ABD add-on is canceled. I think my asking was one of the reasons they changed the policy that they won't cancel the ABD add-on less than 90 days before the cruise rather than ABD's (now) standard 85 days, because I can still get a 100% refund on the cruise & ABD 90 days before the cruise sails. A lot of the folks I talked to were surprised by my asking those questions, then a couple of days later, the policy was changed... I think it's still definitely a work in progress.

Sorry for the ramble... I still haven't 100% decided I'm doing the cruise, even though I *have* put the full deposit down on both the cruise & the add-on. Better safe than sorry, and it's 100% refundable until Feb 15.

Sayhello

ETA: I almost forgot to say: Bobo912 & marcemch, you will love, love, LOVE Yosemite! It's an incredible place. One of the most fabulous places I've ever been, and I've been to a few fabulous places! A definite must-see!

I've been on a couple of RCCL cruises, and have found that I am not too fond of cruises. Mostly, I don't like having to return to the ship when evening falls and whatever city I am in is just coming to life. I remember once being on a cruise which docked in Martinique. Just as the music began to play, the cocktails were being served, the sunset was blazing, the food smells were filling the streets, etc.....we had to be back on the ship for "Chinese" night at dinner! I'm sure Disney does a better job of coordinating the day port experience with the night ship experience, but I think I would still miss exploring a town on foot at night, trying new foods, attempting the language. I know that my daughter enjoyed our explorations in Germany and Costa Rica in the evening (or early morning) when the ABD itinerary offered some free time....

That said---I think the DCL Med cruise has great ports of call. One thing I wondered about, though, was why the ABD add-on is not going to Pompeii---I think my daughter would love that, and ABD offers it on one of its other Italy tours.

I think I am whittling this down to a few considerations: ABD Peru, TB California, ABD Italy, or AK Egypt.

(p.s. - Hi Gayle!)

The cruise alone definitely doesn't offer many opportunities to get to know your fellow travelers. My son befriended another little boy (who was also traveling alone with his mom) at the pool shortly after we boarded and we planned to meet them again on deck for the sail away party, but once we went back to the stateroom to change and returned to deck 9, we couldn't find them in the crowd. I had some nice conversations with our adult dining companions, but the kids didn't really hit it off. The one little boy at our table sometimes didn't show up for meals at all and when he did he stayed for about 5 minutes and then left for the arcade. I never saw him eat a bite the entire cruise. We were also seated with two sisters, who were not at all talkative - not even to each other. And if there are videos games around, my son is going to play them, so at the Oceaneer's Club he was mostly engaged in that solitary activity, although he did tell me that he played some of the games with the group while I was away. But he didn't make friends the way he does on ABD trips. I talked him into see two movies and one of the live shows with me, but I had to do everything else on the ship alone. I definitely think the Med cruise with the ABD add on would be different, since you'll be with the same group all day and will have the opportunity to get to know each other the same as any of the other trips. I'm sure the kids would want to meet up in the evenings on the ship and probably the adults would, as well.

Im keeping a watch on the Tauck Bridges CA trip to see if they offer any discounts. I know they do occasionally offer discounts to fill up dates and since there are just two of us and I'm pretty flexible about the date, I'm going to wait a little while and see what happens. I did email them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they would still provide an airport transfer if we decided to stay an extra day in Monterey and they said yes, if we book the extra hotel night through them. marcemch, I'll PM you if I come up with any good info.

I've been on a couple of RCCL cruises, and have found that I am not too fond of cruises. Mostly, I don't like having to return to the ship when evening falls and whatever city I am in is just coming to life. I remember once being on a cruise which docked in Martinique. Just as the music began to play, the cocktails were being served, the sunset was blazing, the food smells were filling the streets, etc.....we had to be back on the ship for "Chinese" night at dinner! I'm sure Disney does a better job of coordinating the day port experience with the night ship experience, but I think I would still miss exploring a town on foot at night, trying new foods, attempting the language. I know that my daughter enjoyed our explorations in Germany and Costa Rica in the evening (or early morning) when the ABD itinerary offered some free time....

That said---I think the DCL Med cruise has great ports of call. One thing I wondered about, though, was why the ABD add-on is not going to Pompeii---I think my daughter would love that, and ABD offers it on one of its other Italy tours.

I think I am whittling this down to a few considerations: ABD Peru, TB California, ABD Italy, or AK Egypt.
Since I travel solo, wandering around ports, etc, at night is not really a practical or safe option for me anyways. On the DCL Med cruise, it looks like most port days go to 7 or 9pm...

If I do the DCL/ABD Med thing, I plan on diverging from the ABD on the day in Naples, and doing Pompeii on my own, and then rejoining the ABD for the Amalfi coast. While the pizza making sounds like all kinds of fun, I can't imagine being that close & not going to Pompeii. Maybe if enough people want to do it, they might split the group up. I'm willing to spend the extra $ to go see Pompeii...

Other than that, the itinerary sounds fabulous!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter