Who knows about USA internal Flights????

Tara2004

Mouseketeer
Hi all, Just wondering who you guys use for Internal Flights?
Who usually has the best deals?
When do you book them?
Is it like Qantas and Virgin etc where you keep checking for deals?

We used Delta last time but they can not give me my first flight from LAX to MCO ( as part of multi city flights) the only one is a RED EYE :crazy2:

Delta seemed the cheapest, next was Unitied then American was alot more.

We are now doing WDW in March for 14 days then 5 days NY, 2 days LV and 5 days LA. Need a multi city ticket.

Help please

I'm using Delta, Southwest and United on my next trip. Delta is the LA to NY part of my flight so I didn't choose them but I've heard lots if good reports. Southwest I've flown many times and always found them to be great and you can check two bags for free. Southwest and United both had the best prices and flight times for the flights I'm doing with them (even paying for baggage on United it was cheaper). For me I choose mainly by price and schedule and I always check out the airlines website rather than just rely on companies like Webjet.

Virgin America for me. New modern planes, nice staff and helps me rack up FF points. :)

Will be flying them later next week between LAX and BOS. Looking forward to flying Main Cabin Select for the first time.

I've used SouthWest, United and American Airline. AA is not the cheapest but I get FF points with them and their routes seem the most direct. United is next....and Southwest is cheap; but not direct.

Lately, I tend to use a combination of AA and United internally depending on when the flights are and the amount my hip-pocket can tolerate for the direct flight $$.

I haven't flown Delta in a while.

Tara2004 said:
We are now doing WDW in March for 14 days then 5 days NY, 2 days LV and 5 days LA. Need a multi city ticket.

No help - we are flying Delta and United, just went with cheap - but wanted to say how exciting to have another trip planned! And it sounds like a good one:) I'll look forward to more great Cooper videos;)

I like Virgin & Jetblue, particularly as both work with the Magic WDW transportation (what's it called? Mental block!). If you have time up your sleeve, I would sign up for their specials emails, so that you don't get caught booking tickets only to find they become hundreds of dollars cheaper the very next week like I did, lol.

Tara2004 said:
Hi all, Just wondering who you guys use for Internal Flights?
Who usually has the best deals?
When do you book them?
Is it like Qantas and Virgin etc where you keep checking for deals?

We used Delta last time but they can not give me my first flight from LAX to MCO ( as part of multi city flights) the only one is a RED EYE :crazy2:

Delta seemed the cheapest, next was Unitied then American was alot more.

Help please

Tara2004

If you are a frequent flyer or have airline status in Australia maybe worth going with the partner eg: qantas use American ..this may help with baggage, lounge access etc..

If no status and its a who is good, we have flown American mostly, and JetBlue . Found JetBlue to be very good with seating, service ,baggage etc. American ok ...American domestic carriers in general are no comparison to qantas or virgin. It's all a little bus terminal like...

Honestly we have booked with whoever was cheapest. We have booked American, delta and JetBlue for our flights in November. From reviews JetBlue sounds great (first checked bag free per passenger too) and we are pretty keen for our flight with them. Would have flown Virgin if the tickets were a bit cheaper too.

Not too keen on delta but $170 one way NYJ to LAX was pretty cheap.

Our last trip we flew whoever was cheapest for our internal flights and had them separately ticketed.

Eg lax - jfk jet blue. Jfk - mco jet blue. Mco - las southwest. Las - lax southwest. Southwest flights we paid $10 extra for earlybird seating and signed up for their emails. They were typically 50 - 100 cheaper than united or delta or aa and gave 2 checked bags free.

We found booking separately saved us time and money over a multi city ticket and we could schedule flights at times that suited us :)

We generally go with whoever's cheapest, or has the best flight times.

However you can use a website like Booking Buddy to get an alert every time a flight gets to a certain price.

Australiankaren reccommended the website hipmunk to me.. Its a great flight aggregator that will show all flights (except southwest) and you can sort by departure time arrival time flight duration non stop price etc. Very handy when trying to work out which flights will work best :)

If you are flying internally on the same day as your international flight - I would try and get those on the one ticket -

I couldnt stand the stress of possible delays and having to make a connection. If it is all on the one ticket, if you miss your connecting flight,its their responsibility.

(Also your baggage allowance will included as per you international ticket)

We flew with Virgin America and Southwest. LOVED Virgin - great service, nice planes, and heaps of free entertainment and soft drinks! And were able to get points with them too. We didn't like Southwest, but it was bearable for a short flight.

I think I looked at a comparison website first, but then just used each airline's own website to book the flights. I wouldn't bother trying to get a multi-city ticket, just book each sector as you come across a good deal.

If you are flying internally on the same day as your international flight - I would try and get those on the one ticket -

I couldnt stand the stress of possible delays and having to make a connection. If it is all on the one ticket, if you miss your connecting flight,its their responsibility.

I 2nd this :thumbsup2

I 2nd this :thumbsup2

And I 3rd it! When our QF flight got in late to LAX, we rushed to make the AA connection for our flight from LAX to Orlando (and did) but, although I would have been gutted to get to Orlando late, in the back of my mind, I felt reassured to know that, if we missed it, it was QF's responsibility to sort it out for us. :thumbsup2

So I would never be on separate tickets with same day travel unless you had a long transit between the two flights and who wants a long transit?! Not me, that's for sure - especially at LAX :rotfl2:

And I 3rd it! When our QF flight got in late to LAX, we rushed to make the AA connection for our flight from LAX to Orlando (and did) but, although I would have been gutted to get to Orlando late, in the back of my mind, I felt reassured to know that, if we missed it, it was QF's responsibility to sort it out for us. :thumbsup2

So I would never be on separate tickets with same day travel unless you had a long transit between the two flights and who wants a long transit?! Not me, that's for sure - especially at LAX :rotfl2:

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but did you find that your flights were more expensive when flying direct through to orlando? my TA quoted me approx $1200 for the bne - mco flight, but we could get bne - lax return for 1200 and then our lax - mco return for approx 350. much cheaper than bne - mco 1200 and mco - lax 285 and lax - bne 1100...

maybe there was something i or my TA had missed :(

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but did you find that your flights were more expensive when flying direct through to orlando? my TA quoted me approx $1200 for the bne - mco flight, but we could get bne - lax return for 1200 and then our lax - mco return for approx 350. much cheaper than bne - mco 1200 and mco - lax 285 and lax - bne 1100...

maybe there was something i or my TA had missed :(

Sorry I didn't even check the price of doing it separately as I knew I wanted to go WLG-AKL-LAX-MCO in one go. We couldn't leave any earlier than 29 Sep and that was the last day to check-in to POR to quality for free dining so HAD to get there!! :rotfl2:

Been there, done that!

United into LA, on time, sailed through immigration, got connecting flight to ORD, it sat on the tarmac to AGES, arrived in Chicago 30min late, (not helped by someone that refused to site down once we actually landed while the plane was taxing around, so we had to STOP), finally got to the terminal with 15min to get to next flight, which was as far away from the gate we landed at as you could get, got to next gate with 3min to spare but they had already closed the gate. Went back to United, was given a night at the airport Hilton I think it was plus meal vouchers for dinner and breakfast, got flight next morning. If any of those flights had been ticketed separately, it would've all been at our expense, which would've been ok claiming through travel insurance, but only had to claim the first night in Miami.

Another trip, I had SYD-Vegas-MCO-SYD. Friends had return London-Vegas, decided to change to LON-Vegas-MCO-LON, Virgin Atlantic didn't do Vegas-MCO, they got a separate ticket, got hit with baggage fees, something like $50 each, no baggage fee for me on the international ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter